Resizing photos

-

dustoff440

Reaction score
Could you guys direct me to a tutorial or place where I can resize pictures for posting here......

If you have microsoft office, open microsoft photo editor. (I think that's what it's called)
there should be an edit photo button that has a few different options
One of the options is called resize, open that
there should be 3 different ways to resize it
1: custom X by Y
2: percent of original
3: combo of 1 and 2. you change one side (X or Y) and the other side changes appropriately. Say you have a picture that is 1200x1600 pixels large, if you reduce the 1600 down to 800, the other side will automatically reduce to 600. It's useful if you want to make something smaller but want to keep the proportions the same.

If you have a 3rd party picture editor like Gimp or Adobe I think it's pretty much the same procedure.

my memory is a little rusty, photo editor was on our other computer which is down with a virus at the moment so I'm going off of what I remember from using that.

I think the max photo size here is 800x800. just a quick fyi in case you didn't know.

It depends on what photo software you have on your computer. There is no real need to "get" or download anything, generally. Believe it or not, you can even resize using the awful Microshaft "Paint."

Yeah, but Paint deletes whatever you resize out , I think. I've never used it like that so I'm just going with what I know.

I got so many responses fast that it makes me think this is a problem for others.....Thanks guys.

yeah ive tried too and found that you have to damn near be a computer genius to post pics on here, thats why i have never posted any pics here. you would think an automotive chat site would make it easier for automotive guys - its not a computer chat site for guys that have computer interests. ive never understood that about this site.

yeah ive tried too and found that you have to damn near be a computer genius to post pics on here, thats why i have never posted any pics here. you would think an automotive chat site would make it easier for automotive guys - its not a computer chat site for guys that have computer interests. ive never understood that about this site.

You make this too hard. Spend some time with your wife/ teenager and find out WHAT KIND of photo software is on your computer. Most new computers come with "something," and if you have a camera, IT comes with some sort of software

To post pictures, I use www.tinypic.com most of the time, it's easy to use and free. I'll post an example below, and all of the illustrations were done using screenshots, cropping and resizing in GIMP, and www.tinypic.com to post the outcome

So let's take an example. The 72 shop manual in pdf that you can download from this site, let's say I want to post a picture out of that manual.

First I open the pdf to the page I want to display. I'm using a free version of Acrobat Adobe Reader:

259j2fl.jpg

Then I take a screenshot of the page I want to post. You can Google "screenshot" and "my version of windows" where that would be "Windows 7" or "Windows XP" etc

2pruvdf.jpg

and then put that screenshot into my photo editor, in this case, GIMP (It's a free photo editor, just put GIMP into Google)

10ody5l.jpg

and then crop it

71tcap.jpg

and resize or "scale" it to more than 800 x 600. I just take the larger side and make it either 800 or 600, depending on how large it needs to be, then let the sofware automatically ratio the other dimension

732e6q.jpg

Now that we have what we want cropped out, we just save it as a .jpg

zkmuq8.jpg

So now we have the actual picture cropped, sized, and saved to our computer (I just use my desktop) and NOW we need to post it

I use www.tinypic.com

So bring that up on a browser and select the "browse" button on the page

23urmgn.jpg

This will open up a window where you can select the folder and picture you want to post. This listing is my desktop, and I have named the picture of the carb "aatest.jpg." Either double tap the name, or hit "OPEN" at the bottom of the window

iqfnsm.jpg

Once you have selected your picture, hit the "upload now" button

2yxqb8z.jpg

Then you have to enter the irritating anti-SPAM code

t7lxqt.jpg

And finally you will be presented with four text boxes. The only one I ever use for all purposes is the one labled "IMG Code for Forums and Message Boards. Essentially, you just copy and paste that phrase into your post window

35ndndc.jpg

So you highlight it, right click and select "copy"

2v2ywde.jpg

Below is a PICTURE of an example text that we copied to display the picture. I cannot just "print" the text here, because it is a "code" that will cause the picture to be displayed!!

2ppfnnd.jpg

And finally here is the picture in the end

zkmuq8.jpg

I use this: http://irfanview.com/ It is very user friendly and a free download. I like the snot out of it.
X2 Apparently S.S. and I our on the same page on this one, this is IMO the easiest picture adjuster you can get and IT FREE!!! it will automatically set dpi to 72 which almost always allows me to upload to here with no other editing needed, Paint works and so does microshaft picture editor, but Ifran view is much easier. IMO

One thing to do so you don't have to resize the pics is to set your camera to 3.1 MP or less. Then they will load right up.

-
Back