Resonator Only, or with Muffler Too??

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
I have been reading the threads on 273 exhaust. Am planning on installing the commando single exhaust; mostly purchased from Accurate Ltd. I have read in a couple of threads that going with the resonator only (no muffler) sounds great. From what I have read, some of the early Commando 273's came that way from the factory (?). I want the car to sound good, loud is fine, but not too loud.

Thoughts?

I put the complete Accurate system on my 66 Dart. Very nice but now I wish I would have tried it without the muffler or possibly with a Dynomax performance muffler. The complete system is fairly quiet. tmm

Attachments

• IMG_0705.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 478
Thanks Toolman. I am tempted to go without the muffler to see what it sounds like. I can always add the muffler later if I need to.

You should look into using a flowmaster style muffler, like a 40 series. People always complain about drone but I'll bet that adding the resonator will quiet that down.

The 65-67 hi-po exhaust systems always included a muffler coupled with the resonator/tip unit. The early 65 exhaust systems had a straight through style muffler that was replaced later in the year because of noise abatement concerns. The "Magnum" style muffler from Accurate LTD is the straight through
design and works great for a more aggressive exhaust note. Because of this design it will display resonation at certain speeds and loads.

Attachments

• ACM1255 New Ad.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 414
Here is a link to my 273 HiPo exhaust system.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=197334

I bought this car new and one of the first things I did was remove the stock exhaust and put on dual glasspacks .

I threw the original resonator on the self and that is where it sat for the next 45+ years.

Last year I started putting things back the way they were when the car was new.

I had a local shop bend up the pipes and used an old FLOWMASTER 40 Series muffler.

I can tell you that the car sounds just the way it did when new.

The HiPo 273 cars had a very distinctive "growl" sound to them.

Prior to removing the stock exhaust in 1967 I got a number of loud muffler tickets from the local cops.

I would go down to the Dodge dealer and they would write me out a note that the exhaust was stock.

I would take the note to the judge and he would throw the ticket out.

Herb

Thanks all. Yea, I was looking at the Accurate straight through muffler. A couple of years ago I picked up a Borla straight through muffler that I think I will try to make work.

Dart67, I read through your thread when I was looking into this. That is a very nice copy of the commando system. The pictures are very helpful too.

Too much fun, I can't wait to get mine done...

The 65-67 hi-po exhaust systems always included a muffler coupled with the resonator/tip unit. The early 65 exhaust systems had a straight through style muffler that was replaced later in the year because of noise abatement concerns. The "Magnum" style muffler from Accurate LTD is the straight through
design and works great for a more aggressive exhaust note. Because of this design it will display resonation at certain speeds and loads.

Resonation or drone can be removed with a branch resonator which has no effect on flow of the exhaust just the sound.

I've got a 50 series Flowmaster and the OEM resonator. I may never know what they sound like. I still need at least a section of the rear valance with square cut away and the hanger for the resonator.
Very quite on the shelf for sure LOL

Here's a short video of the complete system. tmm
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v555B5_uBJ4"]YouTube[/ame]

You can't view it? Let me see if I can change some u tube settings. tmm

OK now try. I changed my chanel to public.

You should look into using a flowmaster style muffler, like a 40 series. People always complain about drone but I'll bet that adding the resonator will quiet that down.

I had a 2 1/4" flow master on my slant. Sounded great, but the drone is noticeable! I have a thrush welded muffler on my 360 with no resonator or tailpipe. Sounds gorgeous, but needs a 90 on the end to get some sound out from under the vehicle lol

I have an original 273 convertible car 1966 valiant.....I know it will never be a performance car nor will I try to make it that way......but I do want to purr down the road real nice.....may take my old motor to an engine shop this fall and have them put in a cam as they work the motor....any cam suggestions ?... think I will go to autozone after and buy 5 mufflers and just stick one on the pip at a time for notes and maybe combine with some resonator tips they sell to get the sound I want....

-
Back