Restore a Trunk Trim Panel

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
While I did a serviceable job in repainting and somewhat refreshing the look of the trunk trim panel I bought for my car, I was wondering if anyone on here does, or knows someone who does, real restoration of these panels? While what I did looks passable, it still stands out as subpar against my new taillight bezels. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

While I did a serviceable job in repainting and somewhat refreshing the look of the trunk trim panel I bought for my car, I was wondering if anyone on here does, or knows someone who does, real restoration of these panels? While what I did looks passable, it still stands out as subpar against my new taillight bezels. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

think PARTSMONSTA does. he`s good at what he does.

You will find this place to be a little more expensive than most, but they do great work including straightening, welding, polishing, anodizing, painting, and decals if needed. I was very happy with the work they did on my '69 GTS.
http://kingoftrim.com/

Speaking of which, has anyone repaired a torn trunk key hole? My trunk finish panel is nice except the hole for the key is split. I imagine someone, somewhere rigged a cutting bit in a drill press or maybe (gulp!) did it in a lathe jig? Just remove the minimum not making the hole too big. Daily driver here. Just wonderin...

I had mine redone local for $350. It was pretty straight but dull so he stripped it and reanodized it and detailed it.

Attachments

• Picture 3064.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 547
  • Picture 3065.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 465
  • Picture 3066.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 478
I'm pretty sure he does but extra precautions will need to be done for shipping IE a crate or similar. I'll get you some better pics in the sunlight. I supplied a bent up NOS panel to match the colors to. We also have at least 3 anodizers here so that probably helps the pricing too. I know he farms that out but everything else is done by him.

Nice looking piece.

When you ship stuff like that, and dash pads etc., use old carpet tubes for small chrome strips etc, and use "sono-tube" from a building supply for bigger stuff, GTS tail-panels, dash-pads and such. It starts at 6 inch diameter, a goes up in 2 inch increments.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...o-tube+images&qpvt=sono-tube+images&FORM=IGRE

That stuff is near gorilla proof, and being round, they can't stack stuff on it, they generally lean it in a corner..

cheers.

He is an older gent and it took him a month or so but I think it was worth the wait.

I ran into him at the swap meet today and he said to pass on his number if anyone is interested,send me a PM if you are interested.

Did any of you contact my guy? I'm curious what others think of his quality

Did any of you contact my guy? I'm curious what others think of his quality

My apologies for not reaching out to him yet, but I am keeping him in my contact list. My car is starting to go back together, so the trunk panel restoration has been pushed to the next slow down time I get. Thanks for the information though.

I misplaced his info again lol. Hey 1969VADart can you forward it back to me. Thanks

King of Trim did the front grille and trunk trim on my 67. Very happy with the work... took about 3 weeks. They straightened, anodized and painted... bolt on ready.

Cheers!
FED63CAB-D49D-4E08-A55E-2F001127BF63.jpeg

King of Trim did the front grille and trunk trim on my 67. Very happy with the work... took about 3 weeks. They straightened, anodized and painted... bolt on ready.

Cheers! View attachment 1715120235
I second King of Trim. They did some work for me. Top notch but not cheap. I also think they guarantee their work and show you pics before you pay.

I'm interested in getting my trunk panel restored. Can you tell me approximately how much they charged to do yours? It turned out very nice.

After reading this thread this morning I sent an email to King of Trim asking for a ballpark estimate on restoring my 68 tail panel. It's not severly dented or scarred, it just needs to be stripped and repainted, I included a large pic so that they could see what I was working with. They quoted me $1000 to strip and reanodize the piece and another $300 if I wanted them to mask it up and paint the black areas. Too rich for me.

Can someone PM me the info for the gentleman referenced above?

-
Back