Restore or Restomod

-

mhuppertz

Reaction score
Taking a poll
I have a 1969 Dodge Dart GT, 273 Torqueflite, Console, Buckets, A/C.
According to E-Booger, it is one of 4,976 made. I got it from the original owner, parked since '89. Have all the original stuff including two window stickers, lot tags, etc.
It has like 180K, but is a Valley car with no rust at all other than surface on the top, hood and deck lid. It needs a complete restore, but is a solid car to start with.

I don't want a rare car again, had a 1968 Hemi Road Runner back in the 80's and it stressed me out all the time because I was afraid I was going to break the original engine.

I don't think a 273ci Dart GT will ever be a hot commodity, but I don't intend on getting rid of the original stuff.

Here is the question:
1 Restore numbers matching
2 Restore, but stick in a 440 and 4 speed (which I have), M code tribute but with upgrades.
3 Restomod with 440 or 5.7l Hemi (also have)

I need a plan.
:tard:

I never would waste my time with a restoration. Unless the car is worth a million dollars unmolested. Why would I ever keep 9" drum brakes on anything I own. Why would I keep a 273 or slant 6 in anything I own. Why would I have 14" wheels on anything I own. Because it is number matching? Please. Just my thoughts. So I guess you know which way I would vote.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 370
I'd do a 440/4, just because You can get headers to fit that platform. Youll never get out what you put into a restoration. 5.7l sounds fun but not the electronics.

I never would waste my time with a restoration. Unless the car is worth a million dollars unmolested. Why would I ever keep 9" drum brakes on anything I own. Why would I keep a 273 or slant 6 in anything I own. Why would I have 14" wheels on anything I own. Because it is number matching? Please. Just my thoughts. So I guess you know which way I would vote.

Pretty much, unless you want to do it for the experience like I did. I say resto-mod have fun with it.

Hi mh, I hope I can shed some light on your issue. Your '69 GT will not be worth any more or less if you restore to concours or hot rod it. The value lies on the quality of your build. Your return on investment will never cover the cost of your build. Therefore I suggest build the car Your way, enjoy the heck out of it, pass it on or sell it when you are done. May I also suggest a small block power plant. Either a crate motor or a stroker. Same power, smaller package, good luck, Tom

Unless you plan to tub and/or aggressively modify the car, most resto-modding can be reversed. Keep the original stuff for that guy that needs it if you sell it.

Since it needed a complete resto and if it's the car of your dreams then build it as you please. It's your car.

I have to go with the resto mod also.
It's way more fun if your car is yours and there isn't another one like it. :D

Attachments

• dashsmall.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 361
  • interior2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 365
Restomod is what appeals most to me.
I like the idea of a 440 because you could get one in a Dart in '69, but the packaging is fairly brutal as is the weight. I have been slowly building a 5.7 for high compression N/A, MSD 6 Hemi spark control and carbureted. Thinking I could make near big block power with less weight than a small block, but I haven't committed to any power plant yet. I only have one shot at this money wise, so I have to make it count!

I vote for the resto mod. Im in the middle of one now and cant wait to get it completed. If you go with a 440 or even a 5.7 you will need to figure out how your going to get traction. That probably means at least a mini tub for larger tires and then frame connectors. All that is fun doing but takes time. SO the real question you need to ask yourself is how soon do I want to drive it. Ive read many members here say do one thing at a time so you can drive your car while doing it. This way you dont get overwhelmed. I didnt follow that and its going on 3 years now. I wish I would have gone a little at a time.
No matter what you decide have fun with it!
Rod

Resto Rod,don't cut major stuff up & keep it bolt on.(my opine..) Sounds, like a nice start.

The problem I always have is they are never fast enough and never finished. So plan it all the first time or it will never be done. My Duster still needs rear suspension "Calvert"! and front half of the cage. Still waiting to get at it.

Restomod it. Whatever you decide to do, make sure your plan includes chassis stiffening, suspension, brakes, upgraded electrical, overdrive, EFI and A/C. That way you can enjoy it as a daily driver if desired.

Restomod it. Whatever you decide to do, make sure your plan includes chassis stiffening, suspension, brakes, upgraded electrical, overdrive, EFI and A/C. That way you can enjoy it as a daily driver if desired.

well there you have it ! restomod !

Thanks all. That confirms my thinking. We want to be able to drive it on the street on occasion but be nasty enough to put the fear of Mother Mopar in the Subaru/EVO crowd.
A/C is a must for me at this point!

I never would waste my time with a restoration. Unless the car is worth a million dollars unmolested. Why would I ever keep 9" drum brakes on anything I own. Why would I keep a 273 or slant 6 in anything I own. Why would I have 14" wheels on anything I own. Because it is number matching? Please.

x2

I like to get get them rust free, pretty straight, driver quality paint. changing out an engine has been going on since time began! so also for doing better brakes, rear end/gears, little wider or taller tire, etc etc.... so is that resto mod????? I don't care for the aftermarket gauges in the dash... i'm old and old school, I keep instruments original, sorry as they may be! and add some good under dash gauges, and a tach sitting some where! is this resto mod???? or just a little mod????

440, weight? lots of torque, wow to some peope. al;uminum heads, water pump housing, intake, won't the be weight be bout like a stock S B ?????

who needs wheel tubs, let it go sideways with a passenger and see if they poop in their pants!????????????? LOL

I like to get get them rust free, pretty straight, driver quality paint. changing out an engine has been going on since time began! so also for doing better brakes, rear end/gears, little wider or taller tire, etc etc.... so is that resto mod????? I don't care for the aftermarket gauges in the dash... i'm old and old school, I keep instruments original, sorry as they may be! and add some good under dash gauges, and a tach sitting some where! is this resto mod???? or just a little mod????

440, weight? lots of torque, wow to some peope. al;uminum heads, water pump housing, intake, won't the be weight be bout like a stock S B ?????

who needs wheel tubs, let it go sideways with a passenger and see if they poop in their pants!????????????? LOL

Hell yes.. You can hook a 440 on 10.50's and you don't need tubs for those.

correct again on the weight MYTH

It's all personal choice. Me personally I'm not a fan of the factory gauges but don't like many of the custom gauge clusters either. So it's a damned of you do, damned if you don't.

Here are mine. Most non-mopar guys are actually fooled by them.

The first is a 73 and newer cluster in my old car.

The 2nd 2 are my current car. It's from peak dashes with auto meter gauges from the custom shop I designed.

Attachments

• 01313_2kCzC4tWhxf_600x450.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 10354954_10204960777848583_3154114383600923141_n.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 20150430_150841.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 210
Either way is going to be a cool car. I am in a similar situation in my car, and I have decided since I bought it from the original owner and the car has been together for as long as it has that I am just going to bring it back to its former glory. However, it will be getting an intake and 4 barrel, hotter cam and all that fun stuff. So I guess it is more of a "era correct" car as opposed to a factory restoration.

I am nearing the completion of my project, which happens to be a 69 Dart GT, and I decided from the beginning I was going to finish it the way I want. It retains a lot of its stock look and replacement parts like stock, but I wanted the look to be something that would make me happy. Build it for you, and no one else. My motto is "I want to look good going." I did just enough custom to my Dart to satisfy that motto. Same with my motorcycle.

Was trying to find a '69 Barracuda Rallye dash for the Dart, but they are crazy expensive, so sticking with the stock sweep.

My vision is mostly stock vibe but with drivability upgrades, like disc at least in the front. It is an original A/C car and I will keep that upgrading to a smaller compressor. The Hemi Road Runner I once owned ruined me, so I really want to put in a stroked Gen III N/A that is pretty nasty (carbureted) but drivable. All of my son's friends expect me to (but hope I won't) humble their STI's and EVO's, and I don't want to disappoint. Have a rep after all!
Guess that means subframe connectors, and that's Ok. Going to do the 4 speed tunnel hump conversion anyway.

This is my first car since the late 80's when I chose family over obsession. Son is grown and married (he and his wife live with us) and I now have my wife's blessing with the Dart (it came from a friend of hers... for free). :)

As verification, here is me mid 80's with the stock cam back in but still 12.5:1 doing pre-sale burnouts in the Hemicar.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjfpYSbDxI"]1968 Hemi Road Runner Burnout (Edit) - YouTube[/ame]

Build it the way you want to drive it.... not rare or unusual- will be worth more down the road with updates- esp brakes, suspension, drivetrain....

I sometimes question my own thinking. why I think the way I do???? probably a lot of it is because I started this hobby back in 85. before clones, tributes, resto mod, pro touring ..... a car that was "worth some $$" was an original factory musclecar. ( seldom # 's match drivetrain though). NO ONE )hardly) built lets say, 69 roadrunner clones! too many restorable ones. they built what? 85,000 383 roadrunners in 69 alone??? yes many dropped in a 440 instead of looking for a running 383 hp motor.

I admit I am starting to like the original dash with GOOD aftermarket gauges. speedo. (not their price though)....... I still want OEM seats, unholstry, door panels though, ..just me.... I still like the oem colors. might venture off that particular year..... mopar had the BEST colors!

-
Back