Restoring a car without documentation

-
That Im not sure of but I believe the pattern on the seats was different then the standard interior.

Jack-f-ing-pot! Thank you. I never knew this stuff was out there online. This helps a ton!

I believe the only year you could get an 18 spline a body hemi 4 speed was 1968 in the SS Darts and Barracuda's. They were not B body parts but specifically made shorter for the a-bodies they are very rare and pricey today.

Carl

The torque boxes are a big tell, I think only 383 cars came with the torque boxes. The floors are clean! I say you are well on your way to completing the puzzle. By the way I think that bezel is a non-a/c one.

Holy crap! I saw that car and had to run out to the garage to make sure mine was still there. Yep, big pile of rust next to my Valiant, phew. Seriously, I saw that car the other day and it did get me motivated. I don't know about $50K, but it will be a nice car when finished.

Here was some cool info on build sheets I read the other day.. p.s. cool car.

http://maxwedge.com/articles/broadcast.php

Excellent link, thanks.

The torque boxes are a big tell, I think only 383 cars came with the torque boxes. The floors are clean! I say you are well on your way to completing the puzzle. By the way I think that bezel is a non-a/c one.

Look at the pic, someone cut between where the A/C buttons would go. Unfortunately there are a lot of shortcuts like this on this car.

That's a great car, with or without a fender tag and build sheet. The VIN says it's a 383 car and with the tons of pictures your going to take, you will be able to prove some of the other things on the car. It will never be as valuable as if it was fully paper documented but it's still a worthy save if you can do it. I'd feel free to hot rod the old thing just a little, that's obviously how it lived it's life.
Now, on to the 340 that's in it... What's the VIN on that engine????? I'd like to run it through and see if it comes back to a Mr. Norm car. I wonder if it has any ties to the Six Pack that was in there.

I started to create a fender tag for your car, what it might have been, I'm just a loser like that, then I saw this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...3198526?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45f500913e

Wrong air cleaner, and its an automatic- but it is dam close to what your car would have looked like.

$32-$37K car in todays market. And thats all numbers matching.

Lots of incorrect detail. Small diameter air cleaner would be right if built after Dec 1969 or so. Canadian car with really pitted rear end makes me want to research the "before" pictures of the resto and how many panels have been replaced. A little over restored undercarriage is another indication of a previously really rusty car.

Check in the door jams for any signs of stripes. My stripes are long gone, but by looking in the jams I found the ends of my stripes still there. Mine is PP1 with red stripes ( I've never seen another with this combo... much less with maroon interior). Good luck and keep us posted with the pics.

Head rests were an option in 68. You could get just the left one, just the right one or both........

That's pretty cool and something I would have done. I wonder if any ever ordered just one.

What's the VIN on that engine????? I'd like to run it through and see if it comes back to a Mr. Norm car. I wonder if it has any ties to the Six Pack that was in there.

Where would the VIN be on the engine? If I don't have to pull the headers off I'll go check now while I'm looking for stripes.

-
Back