Restoring old Valve covers....

-

67 Power Wagon

Hemi Pawr or BUST!
Reaction score
Some of my "other" projects.....

As you all know, I'm a avid modeler, BUT at times that real auto bug, bites me, and leave a welt! Well with that, I have my Step-Son Zach, and his neighbor Doug to thank! LOL

Zach's neighbor Doug has this, ummmmm "junk Yard" not really, he lives out in the middle of no where, and had a rather decent amount of property. Most of it, from "collecting" cars, or or parts to repair them, so as the years went on, he got parts, as well....Well as time passes as Doug had said, his health went down hill. This left him high and dry but no real projects done.....Specially, his "cough" cars as he put it (wasn't a REAL cough too I might add here, Doug has a real good sense of humor....GREAT guy! Really....

But anyway, he told me your Zach's Step-Father, your more then welcome to have a look through the yard and if ya find anything, remember it, and on the way out let me know we'll deal then.....So I thought, what could he have? You know the routine, right? WRONG, 11 PM at night I'm going out the same way I went in, this guy, is LOADED! I know there is at least 10 1970's Dodge pick ups in there in various stages of disrepair, not needing much BUT needing something in 2 cases a bumper her a bumper there....I KNOW one truck needing nothing but gas! a '66 Ford F-100! Has a little rust no holes tho. all solid! Has a FE engine 429 in it! THEN there are 2 Ford tow trucks, BOTH running shape and legal to run, needing tires! BOTH of these have the FE 460 in them for engines!

So, as I went out I mentioned to Doug I was interested in all the "parts" engines valve covers! Had a Hemi sittin there....(I'd KILL to make that into the bed of my truck or if it fit, the trunk of the car, Wife isn't gonna like that one!) :D Anyway, Doug said, they aren't going anywhere any time real soon, your next visit we'll pull 'em you can have them, they aren't much in the way of weight and thats when he told me A LOT of it is headed for the scrap yard!

So, on my next trip to return, I took all sorts of tools, and such with me to be ready for a day worth of elbow deep in muck, and just as deep in grease, oil, and rust.....Wife was just all happy, to see me doing what shes only heard about, in the company of my family.....Working or seemingly working on cars....Real ones!

SO, Needless to say, I got a single Hemi Valve Cover, the other one was trashed (DAMN IT!), Got 2 Mopar Slant 6 valve covers, and then the mother load, 5 sets (10 valve covers) of Mopar Small blocks, 318 set (4 total), 340 Set (4 total), and a 360 set (2 total) making 10 valve covers in all!!

Can ya guess which valve cover got done first? :D

YOU BET! The 426 Hemi!!!!!!!!!!!

My_Mopar_Hemi_Lamp_Shade_001_detail.jpg

My_Mopar_Hemi_Lamp_Shade_002_detail.jpg

I MADE most the "details"!!!! The Breather cap is made from PVC pipe parts, the plug wire is from an orange extension cord, and the looms I made from sheet metal. The wire boots is a conjunction of machine plexiglass, and PVC, and some other odds and ends. See the these (The Hemi one) and even the crushed other one) were stripped of all its parts, I couldn't save anything, for use in the restore, so had to make due with my own supply of materials! ANYTHING that has "HEMI" involved in the name, ALSO had MANY $$$$$ emblems following behind it! So, dealing with the idea of cost and keeping it "do-able" well....I don't think I done to bad with what I was given, and had in hand already....

My_Mopar_Hemi_Lamp_Shade_003_detail.jpg

My_Mopar_Hemi_Lamp_Shade_000_detail.jpg

The last one shows the location of WHERE the "HEMI" emblem is going to be....I have to make a plate to fit ittoo, before I can say its "done" but.. thats what it will look like! This emblem cost me the most....$12.00 for a set of 2!

OHHHH I didn't say, these that I got are going to be LAMP SHADES! I'm going to use those small block ones as "Sconces" on the wall up the stars to my shop, the Hemi one is a floor model lamp that the wife has agreed to let me have in our living room!

The problem is, I should have gotten pictures of what these looked like as I got them home, and BEFORE I started on them! As the next following Valve Cover, being a Mopar 225 Slant 6, I got "before" pictures, and have more to take of it....So, heres what most of them looked like upon getting home from Dougs the second visit to my Step-Sons as he helped me dig for some of them! :D Thanks Zach!

My_Mopar_Slant_6_Valve_Cover_000_detail.jpg

My_Mopar_Slant_6_Valve_Cover_002_detail.jpg

My_Mopar_Slant_6_Valve_Cover_001_detail.jpg

Rusty huh???? They're all in need of "help" BUT because of what they are, I thought, it be worth to "save" them or preserve them to show the generations in time to come!

The lamp shade and wall sconce ideas sound weird but I think I love it anyway. You'll have to post some pics once you get them in place.

Yeah it is sort of weird.... I suppose, BUT these valve covers are no longer able to be used "In-Service" due to rust and the seal factor, just isn't there any more, plus in area's the metal is well pretty weak to do any sort of "tightening" on them. BUT considering they're old and have been slated just prior to me getting them for the scrap pile,and going in for metal weight, I thought I'd grab what I could for the giving them, you know?

Save 'em for future young people that are going to all but forget or well in some cases never know what they were or that they even exist!

I have one done and waiting, the other slant 6 valve cover, thats going to have lights put into them, and then as a model car builder, it is going to be a "top" to a display case that will house my models, and be lighted up at the same time......Which will give the entrance to my "Man Cave" a bit more "manlyness" to it when in place!

Subscribed. Looking forward to pics of them completed and lighted.

WHAT ABOUT THE HEMI THAT WAS UNDER THE VALVE COVERS? you didn`t say anything about that !

WAS NO HEMI under the Hemi Valve Cover it was off the engine on the ground, and the MATCHING one, was crushed from a dropped in place 318 block and heads..... I was lucky I found one, never mind the whole damn engine (I'da been taking that one home! LOL)

Anyway, thanks guys! It sort of is art if you think about it..... some pictures to come....I have to edit them a bit to get them uploaded and posted on here!

-
Back