rethreading thermostat holes from 5/16 to 3/8 ?

-
Heli's are almost a given in AL intakes. Especially the threads that get cycled, ie stat housings. Carb studs not so much as they dont get removed all that often. Stud the stat on still good threads and be done with it.

What size drill for a 5/16 coil?

What size for a 3/8 tap?

thread inserts are huge. I doubt they would have the room on a poly, as the drill is a .488 for this.
View attachment 1715879666
Helicoil would be the smallest OD repair or drill and tap for next oversize....(gasp) metric!
View attachment 1715879665
I used these for a LA pump housing on the bottom 2 holes from the oil pan. They worked great but the initial hole is huge.

View attachment 1715879667

I'd use these:
McMaster-Carr

Drill bit is an 'X', or .397 diameter. These won't back out like a coil will, and I've found them easier to install. Need to buy the matching staking tool though to set the keys. It's just a stepped punch, but having the right one is critical.

Thank you.

I stand by my previous advice.

Why drill the hole larger, then buy and install a coil, when you can simply drill a smaller hole and use the next size bolt?

The only thing I can think of that would preclude this is if there weren't enough clearance to get a wrench/socket on the head of the larger bolt.

But since we know Mopar went to 3/8 bolts later on, it's likely not an issue unless they redesigned the housing, making the bulb for the hose smaller.

-
Back