Retro fit power steering rack in Early A body

-

B Taylor

Reaction score
Has anyone retrofitted a power steering rack in an early A body with the stock k frame? I would like to see what rack they used and how it was fitted.

Has anyone retrofitted a power steering rack in an early A body with the stock k frame? I would like to see what rack they used and how it was fitted.
not possible. Many have tried. The problem is the mopar spindle design. Where the rack would sit in order to make the steering geometry safe and correct without bump steer and ackerman issues means the engine would have to be raised several inches to clear the rack. Then it becomes an issue with the center of gravity. Now before anyone says simply swap the spindles from side to side, making them front steer, that screws with the geometry even worse and there's still a clearance problem. Some folks have "done it" but most of those guys are straight line drag racers, and even then, the geometry is still way off and possibly unsafe.

Now, if you're wanting to keep the stock K frame but want better steering, I recommend this steering box. Lots of guys switching to these, they're light, stronger and tighter steering feel than stock. Not quite as good as a rack set up, but not bad either. and they bolt right in and are affordable.

P/S Conversion 62-72 Mopar 1-1/8" Sector Shaft

I’ve read about a company in Australia that takes their stock K Frame, modifies it to to accept custom shaped brackets where the pitman and idler arms would normally mount on OUR K frames. The ends of the brackets terminate in the same location as where our pitman/idler normally mount to the center link. This is where the rack is mounted. They use a rack for a RHD of course. By putting the rack in the same place as the center link that ought to eliminate problems with bump steer or other steering problems and keep the factory alignment. I thought why not get the basic mods done then source a rack here in the US. The cost IIRC was about $700 for just the basic K mod plus shipping to and from Australia. I did not pursue this but went with a Steer and Gear Stage III Conversion.

I’ve read about a company in Australia that takes their stock K Frame, modifies it to to accept custom shaped brackets where the pitman and idler arms would normally mount on OUR K frames. The ends of the brackets terminate in the same location as where our pitman/idler normally mount to the center link. This is where the rack is mounted. They use a rack for a RHD of course. By putting the rack in the same place as the center link that ought to eliminate problems with bump steer or other steering problems and keep the factory alignment. I thought why not get the basic mods done then source a rack here in the US. The cost IIRC was about $700 for just the basic K mod plus shipping to and from Australia. I did not pursue this but went with a Steer and Gear Stage III Conversion.
got a link by chance?

I’ll see if I can find the ad - it was in the Chrysler Action mag - an really nice slick Aussie Mopar magazine I subscribed to for a couple of years

How the heck would you get a steering wheel hooked up to it? No problem putting it under there, making it function, might be a big issue.

How the heck would you get a steering wheel hooked up to it? No problem putting it under there, making it function, might be a big issue.
probably a multi angle steering shaft coupler, aka stacked couplers. the 3000GT used that set up, 2 of them.

2,690..... not much cheaper than a Gerst or HDK. And you gotta get a custom oil pan and sump. That said, I can't believe they're charging almost 500 bucks for a 75 dollar part. You can get the coupler and bushing for summit combined for that. Not to mention the rack they're selling sales for 299.99 at speedway motors. But would work if you wanted to keep the torsion bars.

I'd like to see just how steep that shaft angle is gonna be to connect to the rack.

I'd have to see more pictures. Especially of one with the outer tie rod installed. For some reason the left a pic of the complete install out??? It sure looks like the rack is a little too much "aft" Like said, many have tried and most have failed for the bump steer and turn radius issues it creates. Alot more to it then just getting the rack in there and hooked up. Some of the aftermarket units have been guilty of creating more problems then they solve.

I'd have to see more pictures. Especially of one with the outer tie rod installed. For some reason the left a pic of the complete install out??? It sure looks like the rack is a little too much "aft" Like said, many have tried and most have failed for the bump steer and turn radius issues it creates. Alot more to it then just getting the rack in there and hooked up. Some of the aftermarket units have been guilty of creating more problems then they solve.
I was wondering the same thing. It said they got it mounted in the same place as the idler arm but there's no way the idler arm sticks that far back

The conversion ad I saw was from some other company (haven’t dug out my issues of the magazines yet to check) and was for Aussie cars with THEIR idler arm where OUR pitman arm is located. Their steering box is mounted on the frame rail like on a Jeep Cherokee. I bet that has something to do with how the modification is done. Nevertheless too expensive for my blood!

I think it was Unisteer that offered a rear steer / factory K / rack conversion some years ago. I parked my silver Hemi Duster next to a guy in Michigan at the Mopars at the Red Barns event with one on his E-body and he was not thrilled with it. The steering shaft hook up was indeed "challenging".

Keep in mind that E-body has way more room than an A -body.....not to mention the early A that is shorter and narrower than the 67-76 A body.

HDK has done a couple of early A's (small blocks) with the power rack....just takes a rear sump pan.

Last edited:
-
Back