Return Fuel Line-Pics please

-

roylerumble

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice and maybe some pics to go along with moding a sending unit to have a return fuel line.

I'm building 69 valiant with a stroked 360, 750 dbl pumper, going to run 3/8 fuel line, and a return line to the stock tank. Is 5/16" return ok? How do I add it? Should I modify a sending unit? Is a mechanical pump going to be ok, or should I scrap the mech and go with an electric? Where should I put filters, what kind?

Thanks boys

You can buy everything you need from aftermarket. Later model sender with return port included, steel line that runs along the frame rail too.

I bought a new tank and pick-up/sender for my Valiant from Rock Auto. They offered a choice of either the stock 5/16" pick-up size, or a 3/8 pick-up with a 5/16 return. I bought the latter. I used the OE fuel line for the return line and plumbed a 3/8 feed line next to it. Looks like I only have two pics of the system. I used a TBI EFI Walbro electric pump as I'm shortly going to a TBI system. In the interim I'm using a by-passing type FPR mounted to the inner fender. I used a GM EFI fuel filter. They have a large filter element, are easily available, and adapter fittings to AN are also easy from Summit. The filter lives down low directly under the FPR and is partly visible in the lower pic at the end of the curved hose.

Intentionally there are no pics of it, but I'm trying something with the fuel supply line. I'm using a polymer tube, like several of the OE's have used in the past, with "push to connect" (aka "poke and hope") adapter fittings (similar to the new shop air plumbing kits). My research and short term experience showed that this can work. I'm not going to advocate this, but I will provide details via PM to anyone interested.

See the thread about oil pressure kill switches for the fuel pump. I used the Vega part which draws from an IGN source and drives the pump relay, which is trunk mounted next to the battery.

i-ggtF8QF-M.jpg

i-JkTntM9-M.jpg

A note about fuel pumps, I'm not seeing a good reason to use one of the traditional "racing" type fuel pumps unless your application needs more fuel than one of the EFI pumps can deliver (possible, but unlikely). I would use an EFI pump for a carb system and regulate it down to carb pressures with a by-passing type regulator. So far exactly that is working for me, been like that for about 4 months of semi-DD use. From what I've seen the performance per dollar of the EFI pumps can't be beat (better MBTF for one thing, and price for another) and a big advantage of running a high pressure supply is that vapor lock in the supply line will never be a problem.

-
Back