Return Line Routing

-

Tims 66 Cuda

Mopar mid life crisis
Reaction score
The sending unit on my 66 Barracuda tank has two out lets. A3/8 for fuel to the pump and 5/16 for a return I guess. Is the 5/16 for a return or not, as I,m trying to install one to avoid a vapor lock/ fuel boil issue. Any help appreciated.

Tim

AFAIK there was no return on any '66 A-body, nor did any have a 3/8 feed. Most likely someone replaced the sending & pickup unit.

Vapor lock can be minimized by using the factory routing, carb filter position, and try not to have any winter fuel in the tank when the weather is warm. I know the last can be tough since hot spells often hit us in the NE well before the change back to summer fuel.

Usually a 1/4" return spigot... on senders with one. It's definitely not OE

If I remember right it was an OER from Classic Ind and was supposed to be for the early A tanks. Ive been running with the smaller port blocked off.

Tim

For clarification's sake, there was never a SOLID FUEL return system on our Mopars. There was, however vapor return. I'm getting ready to run a return line on my truck, Gladys. I'm just going to run right beside the existing fuel line from the tank right to the engine bay.

Thats what I did Rusty, I ran a 5/16 steel line along the existing fuel to the engine bay just under the alternator. I tied in to a filter with restricted outlet and to the smaller port at the sending unit. My question is this correct?

Tim

Thats what I did Rusty, I ran a 5/16 steel line along the existing fuel to the engine bay just under the alternator. I tied in to a filter with restricted outlet and to the smaller port at the sending unit. My question is this correct?

Tim
Yes.

Well now my problem seems to be no fuel pressure when I turn it over. Ill check the fittings again a go from there.

Thanks Tim

Well now my problem seems to be no fuel pressure when I turn it over. Ill check the fittings again a go from there.

Thanks Tim

You might see very little pressure when cranking because the return is bleeding it off.
Betcha see pressure running.

-
Back