Reverse switch?

-

PA Dodger

Reaction score
OK, am I missing something here? I bought a '69 Dart GT 'vert with a 340 and 904 auto transmission a little while ago. I unintentionally found out it it would try to start in gear. I checked the neutral safety switch which turns out to be a single wire unit. It's not even wired up. I look in the FSM and see it should be a 3 prong with a violet and white wire going to it. As I start digging into this I find a switch with the violet and white wires mounted to the shifter under the console. It kinda looks factory.I dont see that switch in the FSM. Is it correct? What should I have? Why no wire at the trans?

Attachments

• reverseswitch_zpsf5695a8d.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 193
I dont know what year model service manual you are looking at or what year the reverse lamp switch moved out of the cabin. What year model transmission makes a difference too. Bottom line either way was possible. If your reverse lamps work they are wired up correctly. There would and should be a single brown wire routed from your starter relay to that single post neutral safety switch.
My guess is you will find that post on your starter relay routed directly to ground.
If your starter relay has the yellow wire only and no whaere to attach the brown wire then you have a relay for a manual transmission car.
I hope all this makes some sense.

According to the 69 shop manual, should be the 3 pin on the transmission. That's not to say some "mid model year" changes might have transpired.

You clearly have a shifter mounted reverse switch. The older ones had a single pin switch on the transmission for NS, and a separate switch as shown on your shifter for reverse lights only.

If it's not wired up, someone obviously bypassed it. You should have a starter relay with 2 "push on" connectors, and one of them should go down the NSS pin on the transmission

Thanks. The console switch looks factory with the right wires. The wires have been spliced (into crimp butt connectors) that disappear under the dash.I'm thinking a previous owner modded the wiring. I'm just trying to make everything work as it should. Sounds like I need to add one wire from starter relay to NSS to make everything all right.

According to the 69 shop manual, should be the 3 pin on the transmission. That's not to say some "mid model year" changes might have transpired.

You clearly have a shifter mounted reverse switch. The older ones had a single pin switch on the transmission for NS, and a separate switch as shown on your shifter for reverse lights only.

If it's not wired up, someone obviously bypassed it. You should have a starter relay with 2 "push on" connectors, and one of them should go down the NSS pin on the transmission

For what it's worth, both of my '64 Darts have the single wire NSS on the tranny. The brown wire from the NSS goes to the starter relay. The backup light switch in the ragtop GT is mounted to the pushbutton shifter. No backup lights on the coupe. My '64 FSM has info on adjusting both the pushbutton and console NSS.

Thanks. The console switch looks factory with the right wires. The wires have been spliced (into crimp butt connectors) that disappear under the dash.I'm thinking a previous owner modded the wiring. I'm just trying to make everything work as it should. Sounds like I need to add one wire from starter relay to NSS to make everything all right.

That should fix the start in any gear but park and neutral if the switch and the linkage inside the tranny are set properly. The backup light switch in your console needs 12 volts on one side (polarity doesn't matter) and the other side goes to the body wiring connector, which is behind the left kick panel. In my '64 FSM, backup light power comes from the wiper switch to the console switch to the body wiring connector and all the wires are shown as white, 18 gauge.

ATB

BC

Should be. Do you think you have the original Torqueflite, or a newer one?

-
Back