Reworking the 273 Adjustable Rockers

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
(1) Should I drill a hole in the shaft on the valve side? (2) if so should I clock it with the valve closed? top rocker hole is closed and side rocker access hole that Ma drilled is closed with a setscrew. (3) Should I drill a hole in the shaft (in the pushrod/adjuster side)? (4) if so how should I clock it? I will checkout the trans dipstick tube as I have extras. I kinda figured the plumbing pipes was overkill! but it was the only idea I could come up with at the time. RR PS I will when I have time read back on your posts as you may have already answered my Q's. Thanks bro.

(1&2&3) Until I get my pump and pan on, fill it with oil, spin the pump with a drill while turning the crankshaft, i won't know if i will plug and drill new holes. I want to see what the 2 rows of holes with the banana groves on the bottom are going to do with the rocker arms plugged and drill like a W2 arm.
(4) If I see a problem i will probably go with what yellow rose said he did.

Check out this link on the pickup tube
Small Block Oil Pick Up Tube Question

All done. with valve closed, drilled 1/8 hole in shaft inline with the OE hole to the adjuster. drilled 1/8 hole in shaft/rocker inline on valve tip side. plugged OE holes that are clocked wrong with 1/8 birdshot. welded top of rocker hole shut. capped side horizontle OE access hole on rocker on pushrod side with mini setscrew. bottom holes in banana grooves are still in place. alot of openings but needed I believe. .062" full time oiling to heads. Jad you are the man. thank you! RR. PS if you see any issues here please holler! PPS I did notice that non banana grooved shafts have a much large hole that is offset 15 deg and the hole in banana groove shafts is centered in the groove and ain't offset the 15 deg???

Last edited:
All done. with valve closed, drilled 1/8 hole in shaft inline with the OE hole to the adjuster. drilled 1/8 hole in shaft/rocker inline on valve tip side. plugged OE holes that are clocked wrong

You drilled the shaft/rocker? How did that work out? I don't think you should have drilled the shaft on the valve side.

Was looking over this thread just now an noticed your post. Sorry didn't see it sooner.

You drilled the shaft/rocker? How did that work out? I don't think you should have drilled the shaft on the valve side.

Was looking over this thread just now an noticed your post. Sorry didn't see it sooner.

He actually did it correctly. If the hole in the shaft doesn't line up with the hole in the rocker it's wrong. Most are wrong. I've done I don't even remember how many Hemis and not one lined up. Just like the few T/A heads and the W-2/5 stuff. None of them line up.

Bought some Hughes rockers once. They didn't line up either. Had to lay out and drill those out too. Wasn't too happy because before I ordered them, Dave said they lined up. When they didn't, he said they don't need to.

The oiling hole in the shaft should be on the pushrod side not on the valve spring side.

Now that I read it again...seems he did both. Blocked the oil feed on the top of the rocker and redrilled it to directly oil the spring.

Drilling a hole in the rocker to oil the valve tip is what we were talking about all along but it appears he drilled clear through the rocker and clear through the shaft to oil the tip of the valve and the spring and the retainer.

Last edited:
Bumping a good thread/read. Looking to possibly replace stock 273 adjusters with Crane adjusters and locknuts, also need to add banana grooves to shafts.
Rockers just need to be filed/ground down flat? Seems pretty straight fwd.
Banana groves, any suggestions?
Thanks Jpar for the pic.
I paid $48 from summit. Here's a tip from triple-R : lightly file down the top were the jam nut goes to give it a flat landing spot.
View attachment 1714881579

Bumping a good thread/read. Looking to possibly replace stock 273 adjusters with Crane adjusters and locknuts, also need to add banana grooves to shafts.
Rockers just need to be filed/ground down flat? Seems pretty straight fwd.
Banana groves, any suggestions?
Thanks Jpar for the pic.
As far as the Rockers themselves I've heard of it done a few different ways and some fast ways, but I just took my fine flat file, put it in the vice with a soft cloth and slowly work my file out over till it just came down to a nice flat surface. Also can contribute this to triple-r. He told me about it when I first got mine and had the problem. I like to give credit where credit is due and I passed this on as I felt it work very well for me..
I've certainly never tried banana grooves my actually already had them. But when I give it a Ponder for a second I see myself getting a measurement off a stock one so I know exactly where the ends should be so I don't make it too wide. I see myself Drawing the Line on there from where it starts to where it ends crossing the oiling hole. I see myself getting a little round file like for filing chainsaw blades. I see it taking some time and patience, but slowly going back and forth over the little line I made making sure I don't go outside of it from end to end and it crosses directly Over the Hole. Again this is just what I would think...

Holy smokes I thought this was a different thread! That I was talking on yesterday about adjusting rockers! LOL Jpar drink more coffee before you post in the morning?...

I went up a few and seen yellow rose and I was thinking holy crap that stinkers back! Then I noticed the date LOL...

Thanks Jpar, yeah I would rather bump an old thread than start a new one. Especially with as much good info as this has. Dimensions on banana grooves would be great if/when you can post them?
@RustyRatRod was the one that mentioned to me as well about the rocker mod for Crane adjusters.
Thanks!
As far as the Rockers themselves I've heard of it done a few different ways and some fast ways, but I just took my fine flat file, put it in the vice with a soft cloth and slowly work my file out over till it just came down to a nice flat surface. Also can contribute this to triple-r. He told me about it when I first got mine and had the problem. I like to give credit where credit is due and I passed this on as I felt it work very well for me..
I've certainly never tried banana grooves my actually already had them. But when I give it a Ponder for a second I see myself getting a measurement off a stock one so I know exactly where the ends should be so I don't make it too wide. I see myself Drawing the Line on there from where it starts to where it ends crossing the oiling hole. I see myself getting a little round file like for filing chainsaw blades. I see it taking some time and patience, but slowly going back and forth over the little line I made making sure I don't go outside of it from end to end and it crosses directly Over the Hole. Again this is just what I would think...

I went up a few and seen yellow rose and I was thinking holy crap that stinkers back! Then I noticed the date LOL...

Thanks Jpar, yeah I would rather bump an old thread than start a new one. Especially with as much good info as this has. Dimensions on banana grooves would be great if/when you can post them?
@RustyRatRod was the one that mentioned to me as well about the rocker mod for Crane adjusters.
Thanks!
Definitely one of the things I regret selling.
I know I have the Hughes shafts now cuz I finally sprung for their rockers a couple years ago. I believe they have banana grooves. With that said this would be a good point to start a quick little thread to get those dimensions. Again I don't think mine are stock and I don't think I'll have my rockers off anytime soon..
I'd love to see a picture with a measuring tape next to the groove and I would wonder if you'd want them facing a certain way?

My 273 now I believe has banana grooves, the set i bought for 340 doesnt. I can get dimensions hopefully if and when spring comes. I agree with measurement AND orientation would be important.
Definitely one of the things I regret selling.
I know I have the Hughes shafts now cuz I finally sprung for their rockers a couple years ago. I believe they have banana grooves. With that said this would be a good point to start a quick little thread to get those dimensions. Again I don't think mine are stock and I don't think I'll have my rockers off anytime soon..
I'd love to see a picture with a measuring tape next to the groove and I would wonder if you'd want them facing a certain way?

Pictures from an SA book

757EAF77-3BCF-41C0-8C5C-C0709068E441.jpeg

529313DE-F98B-4970-982A-F5FC65A92833.jpeg

If I remember, when I get back from Maine on Monday or Tuesday, I'll get dimension and pix. The grooves are definitely angled a bit from the axis of the shaft, but I'm not convinced it really matters to oiling, or was just a matter of the machining setup or something else.

Oh, and a typical chainsaw file would be too thick to cut the grooves; a Dremel, or air cutoff tool, and cutting wheel is more like it.

If I remember, when I get back from Maine on Monday or Tuesday, I'll get dimension and pix. The grooves are definitely angled a bit from the axis of the shaft, but I'm not convinced it really matters to oiling, or was just a matter of the machining setup or something else.

Oh, and a typical chainsaw file would be too thick to cut the grooves; a Dremel, or air cutoff tool, and cutting wheel is more like it.
Yes I was just saying that kind of tool to make sure it's an even grind. Knowing it's kind of ground more right over the hole and tapers out to the ends. I would assume that a chainsaw file would be like you said a little too big but I was just more thinking of in that fashion. That way it's kind of a straight line and doesn't get all weekly wacky trying to hit it with a grinder..

I think that the groove on the shaft is 15* A small cutoff wheel on a pencil grinder (Dremel ) works good.

I have used a 3” cut off wheel and polished with emery paper afterwards. Stay inside the width of the rocker arm

Wouldn't a grinding wheel make it deeper in the center because of its roundness? Wouldn't using something straight have seemingly the best taper? It would seem like using something round would make it deeper in the middle? We're using something straight would take advantage of the roundness of the shaft? All curiosity questions not arguing whatsoever...

I believe the grooves are meant to be deeper closer to the center, "sloping" up as they get to the ends.
Be good to see some pics.

I believe the grooves are meant to be deeper closer to the center, "sloping" up as they get to the ends.
Be good to see some pics.
Absolutely agreed with deeper in the center and taper out to nothing on the end but again there's also the roundness of the shaft to consider? Correct?

I'm trying to say is if you put a flat object over that hole it's only going to touch right at the hole and tapir away and be deeper right at the hole?

Never doing this before(disclaimer), I would put the existing hole as your "baseline " so to speak. Placed in vice, oriented straight up.Get the orientation figgered out(15* )mentioned earlier and make sure to not "open up" existing hole too much.
The larger the disc the more gradual the new "groove".
Disclaimer inserted lol
Absolutely agreed with deeper in the center and taper out to nothing on the end but again there's also the roundness of the shaft to consider? Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back