Rhoads lifters 360cid

-

360moparjunkie

Reaction score
Has anyone out there used these lifters before?

Currently have a new set and am hesitant to use them.

Are they good? Do they S...K?

I've heard they are noisy, how noisy.

Does increased vacuum resulting from the delayed duration and reduce valve lift = more low end torque? (however small the gain may be)

Thank you.

I wouldn't worry about useing them at all. I've used them before and plan on useing them again real soon. There alittle noisey, not to bad. I certainly noticed a gain in torque with just a lifter change. It was unmistakeable. But it's not a huge amount. Vacuum increase by 3 inchs when I changed to the Rhoads.

With the decreased duration, tuning the carb became alot easier. The cam was a Purple oval track cam @ 288/.497-.499 ish area on a 106 centerline. I forget. But it had a idle like a crack head choppin wood on withdrawls. The Rhoads helped alot in smoothing it out.

Not a bit. Not only can you feel the lifter working down low, but you can feel it coming back up top.
Being that I was used to driving the engine set up for a while, I knew very well what it felt like up top. After the swap, it was clear that the advertisement they have is, IMO dead on.

You can feel the diff. down low and when it comes back up top.

DO! realize they say the lifters return to full action at approx. XXXX RPM. This will vary with engine size and build, but in that area, you can feel it. Ever so slightly.

Actual ET slips I can not provide since it was just a street burner ride.

I used them MANY years ago on the street, in my small block (achem, cough, cough) Ford with a Crower race cam, Torker intake and Holley 750DP....They were the only lifters I used in that engine so I can't make a comparison, but that car was a MONSTER from bottom to top....They were about as noisy as a solid set up, but I liked it....Together with the gear drive, she sounded mean.

works good as a crutch for an overcammed engine. Allows for more vacuum at idle for power brakes, then the lifters pump up at higher rpms to give the full effect of the cam. They tick when idling, sometimes annoying if you're looking for other problems.

works good as a crutch for an overcammed engine. Allows for more vacuum at idle for power brakes, then the lifters pump up at higher rpms to give the full effect of the cam. They tick when idling, sometimes annoying if you're looking for other problems.

Your welcome Fishy.

340-4spd, exactly why I used them. Works well in vacuum rule class' as well.

OK, call me mad, but since I needed lifters for a on the cheap build, I chose them since the curent upcoming cam is a 236@ .050, which isn't big, but the 360 it's going into is pushing a 4000 lbs (With me in it) car equiped with 3.55's. The verter is a stock unit. (727)

The Rhoads will be on the intake side and replacement lifters will be on the exhaust side. I didn't have enuff lifters (OE style) to do the whole engine.
With the way they work, I'll have a split duration cam down low where most driving occurs and a full return of lift and duration past 4,000 rpm.

Great for passing lane action vaults.

Rumble, What was the operating rpm range on this motor you built? up to ?
What was low end like: poor, med., good?
What is your power est. on this street motor?

Looking hard @ comp cam 20-600-4 thumper. .486-.487 [email protected]
Sr. Member ou812, says they work well and sound nasty.

Would like to run this with the rhoads lifters as the build needs to be somewhat streetable.

Thank you.

The cam was a oval track cam, so it was not a great unit for the street, but more so substained running in it's bracketed RPM. An unwise choice for a street engine.

IMO, get a cam that will operate in the RPM range you need it to. One that will work not only with the parts of the build and drive train and trans stall, but for you as well.

Worst case, have one custom ground. This way, you'll not need a crutch system like the Rhoads lifters to get what you want.

Rhoads lifters are not so much a cruch for me but a cost issue....I already have them. This little eng. build is going to freak my wife out if I dump too much moola into this one.
Looks like this is just going to be a shade tree-er stab at performance.
This is a thought I hate, but one that will create a running engine and a semi-compliant wife person.
Looks like I can afford a cam, springs for extras.
I have an LD340 intake to use
Many other items will come from either a swap meet or pick and pull.
This is not my dream build.
A real old cuda would be the dream.
I'd be real happy w/ a good light duster.

Thanks.

-
Back