Rhoads lifters....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
People hate them,some like them.Ran a 408 Chevy rat.Of course,I picked the biggest,cheapest cam I could find.Scummit/Crane 296/306 advertised.114 l/c 238/248 @ .050.Well,it idled @ 4" at idled ,fouled out plugs.My engine guy,shook his head. Said curve the distributor,slap these in.Listined ,foe once.Vacuum went to 12",cranked like hell.Neat stuff.Any responses,would be appreciated.

I haven't ran them but a good friend of mine did. He said they were pretty noisy but worked great, like you described, so he would run them again.

BTW: did you do any pre and aft high rpm runs to see if it still pulled as hard on the top end with the Rhoades lifters?

I used them on a (overly) stout MP oval track cam. They worked really well.
I have used them in the past on a single pattern cam, intake only. The faux and temporary split cam helps reduce the RPM band on a cam that otherwise was a bit bid for the stall converter.

They are a bit loud, however the price is small. (Noise)
The best reaction I have with the Rhodes lifters is when the pushrods depress the lifter a little, not a lot. Best and last time the lifter was depressed approx .015.
It did not make it any louder.

I have them in my 340 and never hear any noise! Only a little lifter noise on a cold start up for a sec or 2 but thats it. I run Crane gold adj rockers too. I love how my engine runs, my buddy likes them too, he had them in a 440+6 69 GTX 4-speed and was hooked on them. He swapped others in and out, Rhodes were the best. I have only run Rhodes in my 340 in the Valiant so I can't compare results, but I like them, engine pulls hard off the line and pulls hard up to 6,800...then I shift LOL

a buddy of mine ran them in his mild 440 6pack motor. loud as hell until the oil warmed up and then still noticable, other than that they worked very well. swears by them, but i have never used them.

Crane has its High intensity lifter, supposed to be the same thing, a high bleed rate lifter. literally a sloppy hydro that bleeds so fast at idle that it reduces lift and duration and then cant bleed fast enough at high RPM's to collapse any, giving full lift/duration to cam. Neat idea, not exclusive to Rhoads anymore.

Crane product,not even close.66's post nailed it.They do RPM,like crazy,adjusted correctly.

Crane product,not even close.66's post nailed it.They do RPM,like crazy,adjusted correctly.

Yup, I have heard they are noisy, my friend who helped me adjust them said they might be too, but mine are quiet, I can barely hear them when its running, even at idle, only on a cold start up, and only for a few secs. And mine were NOS ones from way back....

On e your in the car runnin down the road, it's fine. With the hood open a d your head under it, it sounds like a ruckus is going on inside. Just for a bit. I never had a problem with them. I like'em.

used them in a 70 ranchero i had was 460 with 429 cobrajet heads general kinetics 600 lift 260@50 single pattern cam had 2800 stall and 356s in the 9 inch.they were loud but man that thing was a torque monster!andit pulled 14 inches of vacume...

remember those cams,got it from a guynamed jerry he owned /owns abc mustang.it was a ford wrecker in san leandro on e 14th street.he had a bunch of ford hotrod ****.always gave me free run...

I had them in a 383, and they worked great...good low end vacuum and throttle response.

Mine weren't noisey, they just made a "ticking" sound, a number of people thought I had a Hemi in my car...they were surprised when I popped the hood. LOL

paul

That's the loud sound We're talking about.

years ago I used a set of rhoades lifters, in my 84 ramcharger with a 360, with a 484 purple shaft.....loved them! I could still drive that truck right through connecticut emmissions, and pass wih flying colors! They were a little noisy at idle, but not bad. You really had to listen to notice.

A good old mopar friend of mine recommended them to me. It took me 3 years to finally give them a try, now that's all I use. I've been using them for 20 years now. I love them. I don't notice the "noise". I used them on my daily driver 68 Barracuda that I eventually drove up to 500, 000 miles. Never a problem.

I only had one issue with them and Rhoades took care of it. I bought a set and one lifter had a low spot that did not get machined. I called them and described it to them. They asked if it was bigger than a pin, I said it was about the size of a pin head. They took my address and sent me a new lifter and never asked for the "bad" one back.

They also made a set for us when we built the Hemi for dad's 69 Road Runner convertible. I bought a set of Hemi Sealed Power lifters and sent them to them and they put in their "groove" and they ran great.

The other manufacturers like to say theirs are as good as the Rhoades, but they aren't.

I figure out what cam I want to run and ad 15° duration and then that is the cam I run with the Rhoades lifters. They run like what I want at idle then pump up to full lift by 3500 RPM. It's like having your cake and eating it too... An "adjustable cam" so to speak....

If anyone says anything about the "tick" I tell them that it is an older 273 with solid cam.... Ha, ha, ha....

...........I had them in 70 340 WITH THE MP 284/484 CAM.......then i switched to the hemi grind cam 284/471 with regular lifters.............the 484 cam had the better torque and smoother idle.......kim.....

i think they make more noise on a nonadjustable valvtrain.....

Not the best video but there is no lifter noise here with the Rhoads :glasses7:

[ame=http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/66340sedan/?action=view&current=Picture013.mp4]
th_Picture013.jpg
[/ame]

I had them in my old Ranger with a 302 in it. Bit noisy sitting there with the hood up but once it was done and you were under way did not notice, truck had no insulation/carpet, steep gears and was a 4x4 so a bit of lifter noise was not a problem any way. I had a jump in vacuum at idle after putting them in....and the truck just seemed to run better. Of course that was the 302 that blew up, cam came out in 6 pieces but it also had a balance problem.....

5.o Rangers,run hard.Wanna see wild,Rhoads supposedly offers bleeddown hyd roller lifters.

That truck was a blast. Ran it against my old 340 Dart, sad to say the Dart did not stand a chance. Beat that truck so bad it was sickening. There was not a straight body panel on it. Roof edge, near the windshield and the trim on the passenger side looked like someone had taken a ball peen hammer to it, that little ball on top of the antennae can do a crap load of damage. Really wish I had kept the last Ranger I had, it would have been a great candidate for a 302.....it was a short bed, 2 wd, no a/c, manual steering and brakes.....

-
Back