Ridiculous car show registration fees. Rant.

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Okay, it's Friday......you've busted you *** all week long and can't wait to get a break this weekend and hopefully find a cool car show to attend.

On the way home from work your buddy calls you to tell you that there is this big, awesome show in the mountains that is supposed to be the biggest show around.
It would be a two and a half hour drive through some of the most gorgeous mountain scenery in the state and will be held at a lake.

You get excited thinking about rowing through the gears through the mountain passes and breathing the cool mountain air in order to park next to some of the most gorgeous cars on the planet, then enjoy the same trip back home.

You get home, take a shower, Eat dinner, then try to find the event on the web just to get a feel for things.
You don't have Much cash in your pocket and hope you can swing this.

You find it.....scroll down and look at all the happenings.........you find a link, almost buried in the ad......it says " registration"...... You click it anticipating a fairly, well, " fair" registration fee......after all, most people there will be driving gas hogs such as yours that may cost in excess of $100 one way just to get there so you figure, okay $10.00 would be perfect because they understand this.....but you know it will be more like $20.00 since it seems to be the norm now days especially for some of the more lame shows even.......okay so I keep reading.

You scroll down and find that the " CRUISE IN" as advertised.......costs not $10.00....not $20.00........not $30.00........but $45.00 freaking dollars!

What!

Dude, you gotta be friggin kidding me!

Man, I just spent $200.00 in gas this week alone for my work van, plus all the other expenses.
I just want to roll to the show and not register......read on.......NOPE!..........you must register to enter the gates.
This gets your car into the gate in the show car area, you and one passenger can come and go as you please but all show cars must pay out the *** to get their car in.

Yes, you can park your car in the general spectator parking section for $10.00 where every red neck chick and their show off snot nosed boyfriends will be climbing all over your car all day taking pictures all over it then every yahoo with a pickup truck will be peeling out in the gravel to show off for their drunk friends and throwing rocks all,over your car....nah...........looks like I"ll pass on this one.
Imdomt care of Imwas rich, that's is friggin ridiculous for a registration fee.
Would have liked to have made the trip alone but be forced to pay that kind of money just to hang out for a few hours.....nah.......let the high dollar boys have fun.
I will be attending the poor schmo local cruise in with the same 70 or so fords and Chevys, and will most likely be the only mopar representin'.

Okay, now let's move on to the local shows.

Very hard pressed to find a local show that does not want $20.00 just to show up.
They are getting smart and collecting your money so you don't just show up and not register since the shows are mostly lame, have crappy door prizes if any, and most of the time the speaker quality sucks so bad between the same 20 oldies songs and mush mouthed announcements that you can't tell what numbers they even called out. LOL

I had a lady at a show come over and badger me and two of my buddies so badly that she basically told us to leave if we are not registering.
Her argument was that it was for charity and she did not see registration signs on our dashboards.

I told her I spent my last $20.00 in gas just to get there, and
none of us had any cash and just wanted to hang out and look at the cars, plus the ad said cruise in.....and I told her that cruise ins are free and car shows usually charge money.
I was trying be as nice as possible while arguing my point and really did not care one way or the other.

She said "Well, are people looking at your cars ?" all snotty like.

I said " I guess but does it really matter what we drove here as spectators since other spectators are parked here too they just happen not to be driving classic cars.".....with a smile on my face.

At that point she huffed and walked away to the registration tent........then she come backmten minites later and says......"Well, if you don't plan on registering you might as well leave."

So we left....whatever lady.

Turns out my buddy knew the guy that organized this show and told him what his Wife said to us and his reply was ......"Dude, Imagine being married to the *****.". Yeaouch!!

That explains it.

Another example.

There is a a retired couple that does nothing but organize shows all week long.

They hold about three to five shows a week at the same places every time and jumped on the $20.00 bandwagon fee which they used to charge $10.00 until everyone and their Mother started charging $20 per car.
They are making a killing, AMD even use false,advertising to bring people to their shows like " cash prizes, or free cell phones" that turns out to be gift certificates and free phone only of you purchase a contract......dirty scoundrels.

Crap like that is a good way to keep people from wanting to come back.

The shows are pretty lame for the most part with the oldies music, the lame trophies and the same five guys getting the trophies every time.

After a couple of these shows it's boring a s hell and I really don't care about trophies at all, just want to talk to car guys and look at cars and chicks.

Luckily,these guys don't pressure you or kick you out if you don't register so that makes it worthwhile.

Don't get me wrong there are some really good shows out there but the standard $20.00 fee gets old.

Yes, I know.....someone call the whambulance.....yes.....I think I need some drag strip therapy.

Okay, on a positive note.....

One really good show is a free cruise in right down the road from me called caffeine and octane where anywhere from 600-1000 cars show up the first Sunday of the month 7am till 11.
Anything goes, exotics, tuners, rat rods, classics, beaters, you name if, if it has wheels, it's there.
Not only is this a venue to show,off your car but the ladies have taken full advantage of the sheer numbers of people and use it as a venue to see who can out dress the other.
Yep, it's like a car show with hot babes from everything from tattooed biker chicks to Asian super models and everything in between trying to out do the others.

It's a really cool experience and it's free.

It seems that the free shows bring the most people but I don't mind paying five or even ten bucks to enjoy a cruise in that has a lot to offer each and every time,,but $20.00?....:wack:.......unless it has a buttload to offer.

yes, I think I'm feeling bad for myself and just need to go :burnout: and all will be better.

Car shows cost too much period. They should pay us for showing our cars.

You said a mouth full. Thats why I have not been to many shows or cruise in. SO to show off my ride I drive it as much as possible.

I get in my Dart at 6:30am, Sat & Sun mornings all summer long. I drive for 2 hours, stop at the shore, grab a coffee, cruise through the town parks, the boat launch, and take the long way back home. Nobody to tell me what to do, and there's usually nobody else out that early.
GREAT therapy.

George

It is strange mind set we in our sport have to deal with. If you think about it, at a car show we are the Preformers as we are who everyone comes to see. I can't think of Any other venu where the preformers pay to perform, we attract the people to the show and Pay to do it. How many movies or plays would there be if the preformers paid to put the show on and we as customers or fans got to attend for free?? I don't mind paying a modest feee if it is going twards a good cause ( and I do my share of shows ) but $45, well I would rather just go for a nice cruse down the shore for the cost of the gas unless it was for a cause I Really felt strong about.

Money money money thats what its come down to. You and your buddies need to orginize your own cruise or show. See if there are any clubs close that you could join and get involved to help poor working class like us a cheaper show or cruise. No free rides anymore its all about the$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I am in MN, seems like shows here are still cheap, $5-$10, lots are actually free! I never had to pay to to go on a car cruise either, and there are some huge ones here. The only one that is more is the Mopars in the Park show in Farmington, $25 fee might be at the gate or $15 pre-registered buts it's worth that to me. I go to the shows for the swap and to see other cars, not a trophy hound, I usually only stay a few hours tops, then leave early.

I do like entering my car even though it's not perfect, people like it and it's nice to get the family and cooler into the show. Thats the next thing, they will say "no coolers" cause it's cuts into the vendor sales. When we bring a cooler we pack food, pop, water, just so we don't have to buy more at the show, plus, more money to spend in the swap for parts!!

It is strange mind set we in our sport have to deal with. If you think about it, at a car show we are the Preformers as we are who everyone comes to see. I can't think of Any other venu where the preformers pay to perform, we attract the people to the show and Pay to do it. How many movies or plays would there be if the preformers paid to put the show on and we as customers or fans got to attend for free?? I don't mind paying a modest feee if it is going twards a good cause ( and I do my share of shows ) but $45, well I would rather just go for a nice cruse down the shore for the cost of the gas unless it was for a cause I Really felt strong about.

Very nicely put.:coffee2:

I am in MN, seems like shows here are still cheap, $5-$10, lots are actually free! I never had to pay to to go on a car cruise either, and there are some huge ones here. The only one that is more is the Mopars in the Park show in Farmington, $25 fee might be at the gate or $15 pre-registered buts it's worth that to me. I go to the shows for the swap and to see other cars, not a trophy hound, I usually only stay a few hours tops, then leave early.

I do like entering my car even though it's not perfect, people like it and it's nice to get the family and cooler into the show. Thats the next thing, they will say "no coolers" cause it's cuts into the vendor sales. When we bring a cooler we pack food, pop, water, just so we don't have to buy more at the show, plus, more money to spend in the swap for parts!!

Can you imagine the food police?

"Excuse me Sir, did you buy that sandwich here?"

Money money money thats what its come down to. You and your buddies need to orginize your own cruise or show. See if there are any clubs close that you could join and get involved to help poor working class like us a cheaper show or cruise. No free rides anymore its all about the$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Been thinking about that.

We normally meet at Sonic down the street on Sunday evenings and the local Mopar club is like the good ol boy network and as far as meetings and location events they are pretty much near Atlanta and crappy traffic.

I don't blame you 1 bit,its the same here and the door prizes are ****,I now pull up and pass on the door prize ticket,I DON'T NEED ANOTHER FRI GEN HAT.

I agree with the original post here....some of these cars shows are charging way to much, so they can make a killing on your car! "Goodguys" shows are some of the biggest whores there are, and I refuse to attend there shows because of that.

I wouldnt pay more then $20 to put my car in a show and thats pushing it.

pay to put on the show........just like local stock car racing....at a judged car show I could see payin 10$ or maybe 20$ if I wanted my car in the contest....but to show it should be free, that attracts the spectaters that chunk dow 3$ for a hot dog or 2$ for a soda or water...next they will not allow you bring in a cooler like the stock car track..I remember back in the day coolers were allowed the pit side was 20$ fan side was 8$ the stands and the pits were packed to the gills, some classes you had to qualify to be in the show...funny now the stands and the pits are at half capacity and the payouts have gotten smaller but the concession stand prices have stayed the same...people aren't no dummies either, they eat before they get there, walk to their car and grab a cold one from the cooler in between rounds, sneak snacks in for their kids and who could blame them....If I was the promoter their instead of payin all the big $ to just the top three I'd be breakin it down to go back thru the pack, lower the pit entrance fee and registration fee for the driver, pit crew would get a discount and same thing on the granstand side...you fill up the pit's with cars and the extra pit crew more than makes up the diffrence there, the now packed grandstands will make up more than the diffrence with hungry and thirsty people who want to see action....not a dragged out schedule due to low car count. trick is to come up with a better way to do it based on the economy of the people rather than the promoters allready fat wallet hrrmmmph!!!

Can you imagine the food police?

"Excuse me Sir, did you buy that sandwich here?"

I have been busted by the "stock cop" at a show before! I entered my Valiant into the A-body Plymouth class at the Mopars in the Park show here in MN, they said I had "too many modifications" and said f I don't move my car into a different class my votes wouldn't count. There was no mention about that the a-body class was for original cars only, just a-body Plymouth cars. I wanted to be with my a-body cars, not with tubbed out hemicudas and dime a dozen Chargers with keystone rims. I didn't move my car, left the show before trophies on sunday. Later my friend stopped by my house with my trophy!! Guess my votes counted after all LOL!!!

Perfect explanation! I thought the exact same thing.

The Dream Cruise is held on a public street, cost nothing to drive down the street, now if you want to park the car, lol

Yeah, I'm amassed on how many people pay to show off their cars

i could rant and rave ,, but, yes it is all about money. local car show in this neck of the woods changed the entrance fee to spectators too... from 5 bucks a person to $8.00 this year was the worst turnout ever.. (i wonder why) anyway the mrs and I go to car shows that are for local causes, boy scouts. etc.. then i feel better to some extent. other than that, we will drive the cars we have and enjoy them.. shows are over rated most of the time

Great Thread!
The ONLY way I am paying to bring my car to a show is if it's Carlisle, Mopar Nationals, etc.
I never pay for local cruises, and there are lots of them, unless it's a charity.
Last month was the annual Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. There was a car show both weekend days. DIffernet classes - American, British, German, Japs, and so on. I was going to bring my Road Runner and my Scamp until on the website for the event, they listed a $30 for each car! NO WAY.

Like Mr.FT pointed out, the guys (and gals) bringing their cars out are the reason there is a car show. No cars? No show. Spectators walk around checking out cars for free such as the grand prix, and I am supposed to pay to show my car to them? Nope.

Glad to hear that others feel the same way I do about this rip off by the local venues for "us" to make their day and their payroll. I think $20 is pushing it also, to simply drive your car into a parking space for the day and let all the numbnuts drop cigarette ashes on it and walk the dog and the baby carriages up and down along side of it hoping they don't run into it. This year the Red Barns were charging $20 at the Mopars @ The Barns and I said that's it, I'm not taking the car. I went as a spectator and paid the $9 to get in and left after 3 hours. I guess my take on this whole thing is...if the money was going to a charity or was for a benefit to raise money for someone who was in dire straights, then I'd say OK, but the Red Barns folks are drowning in cash and they are not doing it for charity. As said, WE are the reason everyone comes to the local events, whether in a small town rural America or a big city. The revenue the events take in in concessions and local business jumps ups big time when there is a car show. Lots of small towns like Vicksburg, Mi and Paw Paw, Mi make a lot of money when there is a car show and they are also starting to up their prices to register your car to I noticed, but it's your choice to do so or not. You can still bring your car to show and not register it and that's cool I think. But a lot of shows will not let you in with your car unless you enter it. So that sucks. They will eventually cause the big shows to dry up and then it will be just the local events where you have the option to enter or not. To me, I could care less about a trophy that will sit around and tarnish. It's about sharing your love of the sport with other guys/girls and talk over how you did this and that and get tips on restos and suppliers who specialize in different products. But I think it's becoming more about the money than the sport with many of the sponsors. So lets make sure we all stick together and hang with our local car friends who just would like to go and park somewhere local in our own towns and keep it alive as long as we can. The big vendors will have to find a way to attract the next generation of winged mini racers and get them to show up and pay the high dollar entry feels.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Good long rant that is very well to the point and agree with you 100% cudaspaz! I used to go to a cruise or show every weekend and I wouldn't have the time to work on my other car/truck projects or have the money to spend on them as well.
There is one car cruise/show that I haven't gone to(don't know if they do anymore) and is only a couple of miles from me and it was all free,no registration fee. The people that own the business forks out all the food,music,door prizes and have plenty of parking on the grass. I know they had to spend alot of money but it is a way they brought in the customers to the greenhouse/plants business.

You scroll down and find that the " CRUISE IN" as advertised.......costs not $10.00....not $20.00........not $30.00........but $45.00 freaking dollars!

What!

Dude, you gotta be friggin kidding me!

Oh... stop your whining and cough up the bucks.

...and could you cover me, too? :poke:

That is why I don't do car shows for the most part.....the only and I mean only car shows I will do is one that is a benefit for someone in need. I don't care about trophies or plaques at all. I don't belong to car clubs because then I would have to work these car shows. I just want to get in my car and drive it anywhere I want. We have cruise in's every weekend and they cost nothing to attend, bunch of car lovers out to drive and talk with good friends. It is very hard to gas these cars up and then pay those entry fees.

-
Back