Riding low up front...need help

-

Wilson340

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 73' Duster 340. It recently started sitting low in the front left to a point where if I turn the wheel it catches the fender. Initially I thought it was a bad torsion bar but I can't find any issue with it. During that inspection I found my shocks were shot so I upgraded both to QA1 Drag "R" Series Stocker Star Shocks.

I tightened the Torsion Bar Bolt 3 turns on the left side. After, each wheel measured 2.5 inches from the top of the tire to the fender. Given that was plenty spacing I took her for a ride. When I got back it sagged on both sides to just about .5 inches between the tire and fender (a little to close for comfort).

I cant figure out how to keep it up at that 2-2.5 inches above the tire.
Do I just increase the shock stiffness or continue to increase the torsion bar bolt until it rides higher? Any help would be appreciated.

20190828_151713.jpg

20190831_105309.jpg

Inspect the torsion bar hex anchors at the torsion bar cross member. They break loose sometimes from the cross member.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a 73' Duster 340. It recently started sitting low in the front left to a point where if I turn the wheel it catches the fender. Initially I thought it was a bad torsion bar but I can't find any issue with it. During that inspection I found my shocks were shot so I upgraded both to QA1 Drag "R" Series Stocker Star Shocks.

I tightened the Torsion Bar Bolt 3 turns on the left side. After, each wheel measured 2.5 inches from the top of the tire to the fender. Given that was plenty spacing I took her for a ride. When I got back it sagged on both sides to just about .5 inches between the tire and fender (a little to close for comfort).

I cant figure out how to keep it up at that 2-2.5 inches above the tire.
Do I just increase the shock stiffness or continue to increase the torsion bar bolt until it rides higher? Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 1715387779

View attachment 1715387782

So, a few things.

First, shocks don't control the ride height. Making the shocks stiffer won't raise the car.

Next, did you measure your 2" to 2.5" above the tire right after you let the car down onto the ground? Because the wheels have to roll before the suspension will settle down to ride height. You can jump up and down on the bumper to "bounce" or "jounce" or whatever you want to call it all you want, but when you roll the wheels the car will still settle a little more. If you measured the ride height you wanted before the wheels rolled, then what you need to do is add a few more turns to the torsion bar adjusters. It should sit a little higher than you want it when you first set it down, but the suspension will still settle once you roll the car.

Torsion bars do sag over time. Unlike a leaf or coil spring it's not really something you see, the bar looks the same but the ride height changes and you end up using the adjusters to raise the car back up. At some point you either need to buy new torsion bars, or send your current set out to be reconditioned.

And all of that assumes nothing is broken, like the torsion bar anchors breaking loose from the crossmember. Or the LCA bushings wearing out to the point that the LCA pin is flopping around in the mount.

I really appreciate the info from you both. I'll definitely inspect the hex head a little closer. As for "jouncing"....admittedly I did exactly that. I didn't realize it needed to roll but now it makes complete sense. I'll give the torsion bar adjusters another couple turns, drive it and see how it sits then. Thank you for the help!

If you find that one side of the car requires waaaay more preload on the T-bar adjuster, than the other; then chances are that bar is about to break. I've had them break at about 30 mph and I had one snap in my driveway just sitting there.
One time I rented a 75 Dart out to my brother. A couple of weeks later, it showed up in my lot, sitting funky and the P-side fender was crumpled. Hyup the bar was broke. My brother was no where to be found,lol.

Yeah I think it's about time I replace them anyway honestly. Definitely do not want to lose one on the road or at the strip. I appreciate the advice. Haha got to love siblings.

I heard one break on a van passing me on a street, I thought the guy took a shot at me! 100 yds down the street the guy was pulled over with his tire tucked up in his front wheelwell.

Yeah I think it's about time I replace them anyway honestly. Definitely do not want to lose one on the road or at the strip. I appreciate the advice. Haha got to love siblings.

They are closing in on being 50 years old, and they are a critical part of your cars suspension. It would also be a good time to look at the other suspension components, bushings, etc. If the front end hasn't been rebuilt recently, replacing the torsion bars would be a good time to do that.

This would also be the perfect excuse to upgrade to bigger bars like in the 1" range (1.03" PST bars are very popular and don't sacrifice any ride quality). Modern radial tires really need the extra spring rate (and modern alignment specs!!) to work properly.

-
Back