riding mower mechanics?

-

VDART

Reaction score
I have a 2005 model crapsman 42" mower 20 hp-- sounds like the starter solenoid squeals a high pitch noise when key is activated--- any tests to this? mower worked fine -- cold weather-- battery ran down --recharged & now noise
mower was started less than a month ago.

thanks Lawrence

Sounds like a bad battery.

I've heard a starter squeal when it didn't engage. I've never heard a solenoid squeal.

does the same this with a battery charger hooked up. & I can pinpoint the noise to the solenoid area. will have some time Saturday to investigate-- was hoping this to be a common problem. thanks

I have a 2005 model crapsman

^^^^

theres your problem

funny story
I have a huskee lawnmower
got a great deal on it and never ever had any issues with it except once
I was mowing the back 40 when I ran out of gas
got of, ran to the gas station and dropped in a fresh gallon of gas, turned the key...nothing
I tore that mower apart and couldn't find a thing wrong with it

ended up tossing it in the barn and tried to forget about it for a few months
then one day I was out grilling and from when I was standing I could see right into the barn and from the corner of my eye I spotted the PTO lever and noticed it was in the "on" position

one good slap on the lever, a turn of the key and she fired right up

no help to you im sure BUT hopefully you at least got a chuckle out of it

Craftsman makes good mowers. I work on mowers all the time in the in season. Got my first one in right now. A 99 Craftsman 42" cut. Had a bad battery, starter drive and flywheel ring gear plus I am servicing it for the start of the year. I do this stuff all the time. You asked for a lawn mower mechanic. I answered. I would check the battery, all grounds and power connections. It does not matter if the charger is connected. If the battery is bad enough it will still not start. Good luck.

Like I said, I service these things all the time. If you want somebody to play tiddly winks with, I ain't your boy, but I know about lawnmowers and I tried to answer you. Can you give some more details? Loose grounds are one of THE most common problems on mowers since they shake and vibrate so badly.

Oh and the main ground connection is on one of the motor base to frame bolts. Usually one of the rear ones. They are real bad about workin loose. I make it part of the service to check them and most other fasteners too. you would be surprised how bad they work loose. Make sure the connection is CLEAN too.

Attachments

• MOWER.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 95
  • MOWER1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 100
-
Back