Rig creaping forward in neutral

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
Noticed, on start up, that my rig seemed to want to move forward in neutral. So I jacked the rear up, so the rear wheels were off the floor and in neutral, they rotated, like the 727 was in forward.
Any ideas?
Thanks

So this must be a 19somethin whatchyamacallit with a whatchyamadoodle engine.

So the answer is it's the thingamabod on the doohickey.

Yes, we need more details. That being said 727s have a tendancy to creep forward, up against the park sprag in park, and creep forward in neutral.

My mistake. 72 Swinger. 440, 727 w/ B&M shifter, 489-410s. Just re-installed engine and tranny, after freshening both. Never did this before.
Thanks

Engine off -put the trans in neutral and then the shifter check cable length
Then move the shift lever on the trans into park and the the shifter and see how it lines up
My race car does then same thing when the shifter cable adjustment is off

The rear clutch pack is a little on the tight side. Common for a rebuild. Give it 100 miles and it will wear in and won't do it anymore

ew information. That I didn't mention, in my first post.
Pulled my 440 and 727 out of one rig and put them in another one. Moved the B&M shifter to the new rig. Only thing I did to the tranny was install a new filter.
Now, I can't start it in park but it will start in neutral. Here's where it gets even more baffling. I put entire rig on jack stands, so all 4 wheels where off the ground. The tires spin in neutral. I slide the shifter into park and the tires still turn. Never did this before.
I'm kinda at a loss.
Thanks

As Dwire67 said it sounds like the shifter is out of adjustment. Adjust the shifter and that should solve the no start in park issue. IT may also help on it creeping

Which is it? In in post # 6 you said you refreshed the engine AND TRANS but now you say all you did was install a new filter????????

If this truly is a fresh trans as you said in post # 6 I'll say it again, it is common for a fresh 727 to creep in neutral, ESPECIALLY if the wheels are in the air so there's no load on it. That will wear in within a couple hundred miles.

As Dwire67 said it sounds like the shifter is out of adjustment. Adjust the shifter and that should solve the no start in park issue. IT may also help on it creeping

Which is it? In in post # 6 you said you refreshed the engine AND TRANS but now you say all you did was install a new filter????????

If this truly is a fresh trans as you said in post # 6 I'll say it again, it is common for a fresh 727 to creep in neutral, ESPECIALLY if the wheels are in the air so there's no load on it. That will wear in within a couple hundred miles.

I miss spoke in my other post. I freshened the 440. Only thing I did the tranny was put in new filter and fresh fluid.

Sifter is out of adjustment. Mine 904 did same thing after trans rebuild.

Fast accurate way to get sifter in correct position in attach multi electric meter on ohm position to neutral safety swich cable that comes to starter relay. Adjust till meter beebs and you are in neutral or park.

And check that sift linkage dosent bind anywhere.

Pulled out the B&M install manual, from my files, and went through the setup procedure again and everything works the way it should. As they say, when in doubt, read the instructions. The linkage was off. Starts in park. No spinning tires in neutral.
Thanks for the info.

-
Back