Right front tire rubs back of front fender when making hard right turns

-

troop

Reaction score
I believe this is a suspension issue. I had a right front tire let the tread go and jacked up my front fender. I was able to repair it but not long after when I make sharp right turns the back of the tire rubs heavily against the back of the front fender. The strut looks straight and the bushings look ok. I’m not a suspension guy although I can dissemble and reassemble, I’m not knowledgeable about proper measurements and so on. Could that tire tread have bent something I don’t notice or loosen something??? It does have a full spooled rear end and I know that puts a lot of pressure on my front end while turning but the new PST torsion bars have helped a bit. Never had this issue until my tread left.

Poly lower bushings and poly Struts? I had poly parts and aftermarket upper bolts with a spool. After a couple years of foot braking I lost more than a tire and fender. The bolt failed on the left side. I have videos of the right side basket balling forward on the launch when the wheel would leave the ground.

It never did that with standard bushings and bolts. You could actually feel it in the steering wheel after they were install. The bolt was the final issue.

A couple of times when I had the car on the lift I noticed the torsion bar clip was gone on the left side. I replace the left side twice. The poly bushings were always walked off the pins 1/4 inch. We were in the process of installing a tube K-frame when this happened. One last ride was all it took. The poly strut rod nipple that slips through the K-member was sheared and gone and the one side was split like a watermellon dropped from 20 feet. Tear it a part you won't see whats wrong while together.

Yes a spool does play hell on parts . OEM parts will last longer under extreme stress.

DSCN2769.JPG

DSCN0550.JPG

DSCN0551.JPG

DSCN0555.JPG

DSCN0556.JPG

DSCN0557.JPG

DSCN0558.JPG

Poly lower bushings and poly Struts? I had poly parts and aftermarket upper bolts with a spool. After a couple years of foot braking I lost more than a tire and fender. The bolt failed on the left side. I have videos of the right side basket balling forward on the launch when the wheel would leave the ground.

It never did that with standard bushings and bolts. You could actually feel it in the steering wheel after they were install. The bolt was the final issue.

A couple of times when I had the car on the lift I noticed the torsion bar clip was gone on the left side. I replace the left side twice. The poly bushings were always walked off the pins 1/4 inch. We were in the process of installing a tube K-frame when this happened. One last ride was all it took. The poly strut rod nipple that slips through the K-member was sheared and gone and the one side was split like a watermellon dropped from 20 feet. Tear it a part you won't see whats wrong while together.

Yes a spool does play hell on parts . OEM parts will last longer under extreme stress.

View attachment 1715414457

View attachment 1715414458

View attachment 1715414459

View attachment 1715414460

View attachment 1715414461

View attachment 1715414462

View attachment 1715414463
Wow I thought mine was bad! But no I don’t have poly bushings. When I rebuilt my suspension I used all OEM parts.

I believe this is a suspension issue. I had a right front tire let the tread go and jacked up my front fender. I was able to repair it but not long after when I make sharp right turns the back of the tire rubs heavily against the back of the front fender. The strut looks straight and the bushings look ok. I’m not a suspension guy although I can dissemble and reassemble, I’m not knowledgeable about proper measurements and so on. Could that tire tread have bent something I don’t notice or loosen something??? It does have a full spooled rear end and I know that puts a lot of pressure on my front end while turning but the new PST torsion bars have helped a bit. Never had this issue until my tread left.
A picture or two and your tire and wheel specs would help us out here a lot.

A picture or two and your tire and wheel specs would help us out here a lot.
Tires are 215 60 15’s. There is it good amount of gap on both front and rear of fender. 1 5/8 inches on the rear and about 2 inches on the front
4669FFD1-19C8-443C-9109-A96A996A64F4.jpeg
E7BB9D73-DD17-4F55-B608-A788FAD2992F.jpeg

Tires are 215 60 15’s. There is it good amount of gap on both front and rear of fender. 1 5/8 inches on the rear and about 2 inches on the front View attachment 1715414546View attachment 1715414547
A 15" tire is pretty tall. What width and offset wheels are you running? It could be a suspension component problem but not too likely. Definitely should be checked out. Alignment can also cause issues like this. It is usually the wrong combination wheel width and offset with the wrong size tire for the combination.

I
A 15" tire is pretty tall. What width and offset wheels are you running? It could be a suspension component problem but not too likely. Definitely should be checked out. Alignment can also cause issues like this. It is usually the wrong combination wheel width and offset with the wrong size tire for the combination.
i could accept that if it started rubbing as soon as those tires and rims were put on, but for about 10 years they were fine. It didn’t start rubbing until the tire tread came off and tweaked the fender. Not sure of the offset. I used to know it though.

The tire tread came off and damaged the fender. Which happened first, the tire rubbing the fender causing it to come apart or the tire coming apart and then damaging the fender? The question is, what caused the tire to come apart? Did you just replace suspension components and not get it aligned?

The tire tread came off and damaged the fender. Which happened first, the tire rubbing the fender causing it to come apart or the tire coming apart and then damaging the fender? The question is, what caused the tire to come apart? Did you just replace suspension components and not get it aligned?
There was no rubbing prior to the tread coming apart so I have to assume the tread coming off somehow caused the rubbing issue. All the bushings and tie rod ends were new and it was aligned about a year prior. Treads coming off is just something that happens sometimes. Had a friend with another tire make that let the tread go shortly after mine did. When researching it I found that while not common it does happen. My spooled rear end probably didn’t help though

There was no rubbing prior to the tread coming apart. All the bushings and tie rod ends were new and it was aligned about a year prior.
Well it sounds like the issue was the tire coming apart. A 10 year old tire finally gave up. Good you got it fixed and aligned. We should all examine our tires. Old tires can come apart. It's hard to justify replacing them when they still look new.

Well it sounds like the issue was the tire coming apart. A 10 year old tire finally gave up. Good you got it fixed and aligned. We should all examine our tires. Old tires can come apart. It's hard to justify replacing them when they still look new.
Believe me I learned that lesson. Master craft actually gave me $800 even though they were obviously out warranty. I can’t wait to replace these BFGs. I don’t really care for them.

I've been having the same problem it's because my tires and rims are too big now.. I just grabbed onto it and bend it back at the end of the day....

Just a follow up. Apparently the shop that did my alignment after I changed all my bushings didn’t know what they were doing. That along with the jolt of my tread coming off was all it took to cause the tire rub. Just got it aligned and no more rub plus it drives much better.

-
Back