Right side spindle - normal, poorly machined, or wear?

-

JoesEdge

Reaction score
I did my brakes a couple of weekends ago and the passenger side spindle didn't look or feel right. It look as though the spindle wasn't machined well, or maybe there's some sort of wear?

Check out the attached picture and let me know what you think. I probably should have circled it, but right there in the middle of the spindle. The area between the inner bearing seat and outer bearing seat.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20140215_153058.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 185
To me, it looks like it wasn't machined well.
I've seen a few like that over the years.
I wouldn't worry about it......

To me, it looks like it wasn't machined well.
I've seen a few like that over the years.
I wouldn't worry about it......

Ok, thanks! I was just wondering it it needed replacing. I figured it wouldn't be a problem since the critical areas are where the bearings actually sit, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks again!

Run your finger nail across it and see if it catches. If it doesn't catch, you should be ok.

Sometimes it can look worse than it is.

Ok, thanks! I was just wondering it it needed replacing. I figured it wouldn't be a problem since the critical areas are where the bearings actually sit, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks again!

The bearings rollers don't ride on that surface, but the surfaces that are part of the bearing.

What he said. They are not like GM/Dana Rear ends that have the roller bearings on the shaft itself.

Run your finger nail across it and see if it catches. If it doesn't catch, you should be ok.

Sometimes it can look worse than it is.

When I ran my fingers over it, it just felt "bumpy" but no catch. The driver's side was much better. Some machining marks, but way smoother.

The bearings rollers don't ride on that surface, but the surfaces that are part of the bearing.

Yep, understood. The bearing cages sit on there. Not the rollers themselves. That I do know.

The bearings were still good, so I packed them with grease and put everything back together. I did warp the seal a bit, but I hope that doesn't cause too much grief.

I should probably get a seal install tool and replace them again. They're not much money anyway. Well the seals aren't. The tool is.

As long as the two surfaces where the bearings ride show no signs of excess play,(race loose on the spindle) your fine.

I should probably get a seal install tool and replace them again. They're not much money anyway. Well the seals aren't. The tool is.

I don't use a tool, I just lightly tap all the way around the seal with a hammer until I get it seated properly. Just enough force to engage it in the bore of the hub.

Bill's idea of using a scrap piece of wood is also a good one.

That is specifically an area that does not matter one bit, and they just didn't want to spend the extra time on machining. (because there was no point in it)
Nothing rides there, and nothing ever even touches that surface.

-
Back