Right tools for the job...

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am getting ready to take off my Clifford intake manifold and headers in order to try and fix a leak I am having. I believe it's due to the stock gasket.

I recall having a lot of difficulty reaching some of the nuts with the tools that I currently own. Can anyone tell me what kind of tool I need to make this job easier? There is also one nut on the top center portion of the intake manifold that I could never torque down properly because of clearance issues. Anyone know what I'm talking about? If possible could you post pictures of the tools required? Thanks!

I have not actually worked on many /6s but "in general" do not be afraid to modify wrenches. Go down and buy some med. priced import combo wrenches. Not the cheap chineseo, but something "in between" good name brands and the cheap stuff

You can BEND these if you are patient with, believe it or not, a propane torch. Put the wrench in the vise where you want it bent, get vise grips or other large device for leverage, or a hammer. Heat the thing in one spot, back and front. It WILL bend.

I used to have several "custom" wrenches back in the day, for changing plugs on stuff like 428 Mustangs, BB Chevelles with headers, and so on.

I have several extra sockets that the outside has been turned down on a lathe. Great for the tight places. They do brake if used like a regular socket.

I have been successful reaching all nuts holding manifold with 3/8” drive socket & various extensions with Clifford headers & intake combo. Torqueing top center nut use a universal joint between socket and extension keeping this combination straight as possible. To start those hard to reach lower row studs, use a bit of masking tape in socket to hold nut long enough to get it started.

New studs, and nuts make this job much, much easier, but if new studs ain’t in the cards, clean old stud threads with wire brush until nut ‘threads on’ by hand, than apply never-seize and use new brass nuts.

Thanks for the tips. About the center nut... I tried using a socket with an angled extension and t still doesn't clear the passage on te intake manifold to properly hug the nut. Any pics of the tools that u guys use? Thanks.

With carburetor removed this U joint allows easy access to top center nut:
001.jpg

Hmmm. Okay I'll try again. I must be going crazy or cross eyed because I swore I tried that without the carburetor and the socket was to large in diameter for the spacing.....hmmm. I'll try again. Thanks for the pic!

That is just a ½” Craftsman 3/8”dirive socket. It fits both upper and lower nuts securing the manifold nicely. This particular Husky brand socket set was purchased from a pawn shop in 1971 for 10 bucks to repair my first Dart. I cracked the Husky ½” socket in the early seventies when using a helper on the breaker bar, and replaced it with the current Craftsman 1/2" socket pictured.

Perhaps you have a set of overseas produced sockets that are a bit thicker due to lesser quality tool steel.

with my hooker headers/clifford i have to get most all the lower nuts with an open end...

Yeah I remember when I put the intake manifold and headers on while my engine was out of the car, it was still difficult. I recall using a crescent wrench for most of the nuts. Either way I will have to use some ingenuity this time around. I just don't want to have a leak because of my incompetence in tightening them down properly. Thanks y'all!

-
Back