Rim restoration

-

simon325e

Large Member
Reaction score
Guys, I have some 1968 SBP wheels that are pretty rough. I just need them to hold air as I get my restoration going. What process do you use to get these back to a close-enough-to-original look?

I am thinking media blast and then something to inhibit rust..? Which paint or treatment is recommended?

Thanks.

wheel1.JPG

wheel2.JPG

I'd have them blasted clean and use the MoPar Argent wheel paint to finish them off. Power coating is another option.

If you are just using them while you restore it and want something cheap I did this.
Sand off any rust, treat with some OSPHO, prime as needed, spray bomb graphite metallic. I wanted something different then the standard silver/argent.

Or you could go the rout rumblefish suggested for more durability if needed.
The cost to do mine was under $7 for supplies and about 2 hours labor.

DSC00006 (Custom).JPG

DSC00009 (Custom).JPG

DSC00012 (Custom).JPG

DSC00013 (Custom).JPG

DSC00011 (Custom).JPG

DSC00019 (Custom).JPG

Thanks guys- sounds like a blast followed by some of that Argent paint is where I am heading.

Who are some trustable online vendors?

Thanks guys- sounds like a blast followed by some of that Argent paint is where I am heading.

Who are some trustable online vendors?

Don't over think this.... Blast them then use paint from a local auto parts or hardware store in a color you like.

By going with a locally available spray can you can pop off the trim rings and center cap and re-fresh them on the car, with a new coat of paint anytime you want.

We blast them.
Prime them with Rust Defender.
Sand to remove any imperfections then spray with PPG argent that we have mixed.
We just sold an a BBP set that we had on several cars and they still looked great even though we did then about 10 years ago.

-
Back