Road Racing/ Auto X

-

RedlineDuster

Reaction score
Just curious if I'm the only roadracer/autoxer in here. If so what's your setup..

Nothing against straight line stuff, but been there done that.

Later J

i am very intrested in this, but my cuda isnt to the driving stage quite yet, but when it will be i will be going for handling as well has hp to go fast down the straight aways

My son spent a season-plus autocrossing his 67 Barracuda. A spun rod bearing from an un-modified oiling system ended that. The setup is simple.
383/4sp/3.55SG. The car is old drag car and had no interior so now all it has is a pair of racing buckets. The suspension is also simple. We ran on .990" torsion bars most of the time with 1.25" front sway and .75" rear bar. The rear springs were home-built and we used KYB shocks (Konis are better, but four times the money and you can spend more than that). For racing we built a set of 15x10 wheels and picked up some used Nascar slicks from Mesa Marin Raceway in Bakersfield. If anything we lacked horsepower to compete in CP with the race-only, lighter Mustangs. Here's a pic of it in action.

Cuda 06a.jpg

Jim Lusk said:
My son spent a season-plus autocrossing his 67 Barracuda. A spun rod bearing from an un-modified oiling system ended that. The setup is simple.
383/4sp/3.55SG. The car is old drag car and had no interior so now all it has is a pair of racing buckets. The suspension is also simple. We ran on .990" torsion bars most of the time with 1.25" front sway and .75" rear bar. The rear springs were home-built and we used KYB shocks (Konis are better, but four times the money and you can spend more than that). For racing we built a set of 15x10 wheels and picked up some used Nascar slicks from Mesa Marin Raceway in Bakersfield. If anything we lacked horsepower to compete in CP with the race-only, lighter Mustangs. Here's a pic of it in action.

That's awesome. Here's my initial setup..
1.09 or 1.14 t-bars 1.25 sway bar
xhd leafs and no sway bar (most likely will be changed/upgraded)

I currently have kybs, if they won't cut it maybe somw qa1's or konis
I'm going to have the 11-3/4 rotors and wilwood kit from arengineering, home grown rear disc based off of a '94 up Cobra mustang rear disc.
408 Stroker Kiesler 5spd, 8-3/4 with 3.23 limited slip.

J

I'm pretty sure that's enough to put you into CP, also known as "Heavy Metal". Like I said there are some serious race cars in that class. We were the only car that was actually street driven, but we still trailered to events just in case something broke as the local SCCA chapter runs nearly an hour north of here.

Some day I'm going to have to get some of my son's video tapes back so that I can put some runs on DVDs.

Oh, one more thing. We added power steering after the first event. Not because the manual steering was too hard to turn, but because it was too many turns and we couldn't afford a new fast ratio manual gear.

I doubt I'll do much SCCA stuff, (issues with the local chapter) I usually hang around with NASA. The most I'll probably do is time trials on the road course. With my budget and various other projects, I can't afford to race a MOPAR.

I currently have a Fox body Mustang that I'm using for my driving schools. I really want to get the Duster out there because there aren't many older cars in my neck of the woods that get out there and the few that do are older Mustangs. I know this sounds arrogant, but I don't really care about the rules with the Duster. I 'm just looking to go out and have fun. The time trials in my area "class" you in two ways either by a grade sheet or a power to weight break.

J

I've been interested in going the auto-x way with my Duster. Anyone done anything silly like put a C-4 corvette IRS under an a-body? That's the way I'm leaning. I'll have to lose my BB too.

Greg

I did some road racing in the 80's and decided to try a few autocross events and will tell you that my car set track records and was class champion but got my *** handed to me at the autocross events. The setups are completely different. It seemed my setup was too soft for autocross.

I don't race it in auto cross (no tracks up here) but I built mine to go out and corner with the best of them.

I did a couple SCCA Autocross events this year(one on a wet course, yes, They run in the rain) and one last year. Street modified class. Didn't finish in the top 3 but finished ahead of a 03 Dodge SRT 4, 93 Mazda MX3, 91 Honda Civic, 88 Chrysler Conquest and a 93 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 in the SM class this year. There are pictures and specs of my car(74 Duster, the DemonDuster) in my photo garage. I think I can do better with more practice. Also maybe a set of competion tires, heat cycled with shaved tread might help. I also circle track raced a few years ago.

-
Back