Road trip tent camping anyone?

-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
I'm hoping to do a bunch of camping this year. Bored at work browsing for inspiration.
andrew-adkins-sleeping-tent-scaled.jpg

DragChamp Racer Spotlight with Andrew Adkins - DragChamp.com

44419883010_0dafd6e290_b.jpg

174982559.jpg?fit=around%7C770:481.jpg

Car Camping in a 1967 Chevelle in the Arizona Desert
1a703007f1f8cc5e7a956e6d2c12a7d8.jpg

let-belair-camp-retro-tent-halden-norway-august-classical-city-famous-big-old-vehicles-132583829.jpg

24643764-standard.jpg

d8q4d7k.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to do some of that this summer with my Boys! Looks like a lot of fun!

The first time I went to Yellowstone I went there totally unprepared (1974). We got there at 2 AM and had no idea where to go or where to sleep. We were super tired from driving all the way from S. Texas. So we just found a spot between some tall trees and slept on the ground (no tent). It was a little cold but not too bad. The next day we ran into a park ranger and told him where we slept..................He said that we were lucky that we weren't eaten by a bear!!!! Young, dumb and stupid will save you every time???

Last edited:
You might want to go to the Minnesota Renaissance Festival starting in August.
There’s no camping on festival grounds, but I understand there is RV and tent camping nearby. If you decide to go, book early because spots fill up fast.

I'm also to old to sleep on the ground and thinking of building a tear drop trailer to pull behind my Scamp.
New project would be fun about now.

The first time I went to Yellowstone I went there totally unprepared (1974). We got there at 2 AM and had no idea where to go or where to sleep. We were super tired from driving all the way from S. Texas. So we just found a spot between some tall trees and slept on the ground (no tent). It was a little cold but not too bad. The next day we ran into a park ranger and told him where we slept..................He said that we were lucky that weren't eaten by a bear!!!! Young, dumb and stupid will save you every time???

Decades ago a bunch of us were going up to Lethbridge for a big Jeep event, and arrived at the port in MT (I don't remember which one) late, 11? at night or something. We didn't even make camp just threw down the bags and ground cloth and crawled in. I probably would not do that nowadays LOL

Decades ago a bunch of us were going up to Lethbridge for a big Jeep event, and arrived at the port in MT (I don't remember which one) late, 11? at night or something. We didn't even make camp just threw down the bags and ground cloth and crawled in. I probably would not do that nowadays LOL
Did that back in about 197? something. In Idaho at I think it was a reservoir Lake Palisades ?
jumped off the road me and my brother and threw our sleeping bags on the ground and figured a good place to fish in the morning. About 5 am heard a bunch of sheep bleating and looked up and yep about 500 sheep being herded heading or way. Never moved so fast getting camp back in the car and was funny all the guys herding the sheep on there horses were laughing so hard thought they might fall off.

The second time we went to Yellowstone 2015 I was a lot smarter (but not really). We got reservations at this place right outside Yellowstone. Kinda rustic living quarters, nothing fancy right on the river and amongst the big trees. No AC, very small, no fridge, one small window. We checked in and headed for Yellowstone without checking out the place. When we got back in the evening we were dead tired. We got the kids (17 and 18 years old) into their room and the wife and I in our room. We got settled in but it was pretty warm so we opened the small window. As I opened the small window to get some air I noticed a placard on the back of the door. It said.. "PLEASE READ, VERY IMPORTANT". Out of curiosity I started reading what it said. "There are many bears in this area, they are always hungry and always looking for an easy meal. Bears have a very acute sense of smell and we recommend that you have no food, or drinks, or snacks or even chap sticks in your room so as not attract any bears. Anything that has any type of scent will attract bears." I WAS PETRIFIED!!! We had to take the cooler and all our drinks and food and snacks (and chap stick) back to the car (in the dark) then we had to take all the snacks away from our kids (they weren't happy). We packed everything back in the SUV and weren't able to sleep all night. I was so worried about my kids since it was very warm in the rooms with only a small window with a flimsy screen. The doors on the room weren't that great either (not for a bear anyway). We sweated all night and didn't get any sleep knowing that a bear could bust our door down or simply push through the window. We moved to a different place the next day!!! Old and dumb is no substitute for young and dumb!!!!

Yes, I have led an exciting life!!!

Last edited:
OP, since you're already in Minnesooota, head up to the tip of the Arrowhead, in the Boundary Waters- around Ely or Grand Marais (up the Gunflint Trail). Gorgeous.

I guess it all depends on where you camp, how much you need AC, how bad you hate skeeters and chiggers, snakes, bears.......drug crazed fools running loose..... Like aid above, you can buy an older and sound small bumper pull trailer for cheap.. just have a decent pickup to pull it.
I knew a camper guy one..he went to take a chit and a bear ate him. True.
He had spilt some canned raviolli on his shirt.:BangHead:

I am done with tent camping, bought a small pop up camper off my neighbor years ago....I will never sleep in a tent again.
Its nice to have heat, AC and water in the camper.

I have also camped a few nights in my enclosed trailer, haul the 4-wheeler to camp, pull the toy out, inflate air mattress, fire generator up, put trouble light in for a little heat, way better than the ground.

I have done this all over WV, in all kinds of weather, nothing like waking up with 6" of fresh snow.
These small trailers were pulled with a Jeep wrangler, but about any A-body would pull them.

-
Back