Road Trip with A/T Seal Leak(s)?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
The rebuilt 904 in the '65 Formula S is leaking some overnight on the garage floor (from bottom of bellhousing/convertor cover) While idling outside in the driveway, I don't find it dripping. Is that considered "normal" and is it safe to make a roadtrip in this condition? Thank you.

I've road tripped with cars that left their mark overnight. Just check the fluid level when you get gas. You'll know how much it uses/leaks after two stops. Unless it's pouring out, it shouldn't b an issue with the proper level in the pan..

Still trying to determine the amount of leakage day to day. The vehicle had quite a large spot but it had been parked/stored there for a couple of months in the same spot.

Shouldn't be a problem unless it's pouring out. I've driven them for years like that without a major problem. 65'

How much is a seal? How much labor is it? Both easily way less than a tow back home. But yeah, go for it, since that's what you wanna hear.

If you just have annoying drips coming from the front and don’t have the desire to drop the trans to install a new bushing and seal (or if it’s wicking from elsewhere) you can fabricate a simple “diaper” holder. I used some alloy angle, utilizing the two inspection plate bolts to mount. Roll up an absorbent cloth like a “Sham-Wow” or something super absorbent like a maxi-pad and sandwich it in there. I haven’t yet needed to change the absorbent after many miles, check it every so often figuring when it turns red it’ll be time to stick a new one in there.
This is on a 78 D150 occasional driver that I just don’t feel like tearing apart yet. It’s got leaks/weeps from elsewhere but this helps things:

EB832D46-3FEA-450B-B6C5-85780BEFC25C.png

-
Back