Road trip!

-

hotrodscamp

Reaction score
I'm taking my Scamp on the road in two weeks. Driving from Orlando, FL to Boston, MA! And back again!

I am going to start collecting parts and tools to carry with me on the trip so only a catastrophic failure could stop me!

I am looking for your recommendations on how to pack for the car!

Here's some background and what I've done so far to get ready for my trip:

I parked the car 3 1/2 years ago after an electrical fire behind the ammeter. I just didn't have the stomach to take the dash apart to look at the damage. In mid-April I finally got the bug again and started getting the car back together.

Major wiring project. I replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, ballast resistor and coil. I did the ammeter bypass and installed a volt meter. I rerouted the voltage regulator sense wire directly to the battery. I replaced all the burnt wire and connectors, and 2 fusible links. Put in a new battery and some new battery terminals. I cleaned and lubed the bulkhead connectors and numerous other harness connectors. I removed, cleaned and reconnected every grounding point I can locate on the vehicle. I think I still have electrical gremlins somewhere as I still see some flickering in the lights and voltmeter.

The old fuel tank was full of gunk, so I replaced the tank and sending unit. New fuel filter and fuel pump, and bent up some new fuel line from the pump to the carb. I rebuilt the old carb and couldn't get the car tuned so I replaced it with a reman.

I changed the oil and filter twice, before running and tuning, and after. New coolant, new brake fluid, and topped off P/S fluid. Had a leaky valve cover and found that it was cracked behind a couple of the bolt holes. I put on a cheap set of chrome covers until I can find a new set of originals or possibly have mine welded.

After some running, I noticed the fan wobbling slightly. One of the studs had pulled out of the fan clutch. Replaced the fan clutch and replaced all the belts. Had a slight dribble from the lower radiator hose, so I removed it re-seated it and re-clamped it. The windshield washer bottle was leaking at the pump. The old pump housing had warped so I replaced the pump with a repro.

I replaced the saggy rear leaf springs and installed a new set of KYB's all around. Had a squeaky right front bushing and ended up replacing all the upper control arm bushings. I bought a clean set of 14" rallye wheels from another member here (Thanks KP!), set of repop center caps and new repro lug nuts. I had the wheels skinned with BFG Radial T/A 215/70-14 and had the front end set up and aligned. I didn't have a spare, so I bought a plain 14" chrysler steel wheel on eBay and had the same tire put on it.

Finally, I installed a full set of sound deadener under the carpet, new trunk divider and padding, and new package tray and padding.

I've been driving the car for almost a month now and it feels great! Somewhere around 800 miles of driving so far. Runs great getting around 13.5 mpg, but it does shake a bit stopped in gear with the air conditioning running. It rides like it's 35 years ago, runs straight and stops straight!

As much confidence as that gives me, it's still a 35-year-old car and it's going on a 2500-plus mile round trip. I need it to run through about 20 tanks of fuel without any major issues! There are several people just waiting to say "I told you so..." and I just can't let them!

So, what should I pack for the car besides the case of oil it'll go through?

THANKS!

Mike

Spare belts, alternator, ignition parts, ballast resistor, fluids and anything else that you can think of.

Have a great trip !!

Sweet! Why are you coming up here?

I'm originally from Fall River, about 40 minutes south of Boston. My Dad moved back there from Florida last summer, so I'm going to visit him. Bringing my girl and her 11-year-old daughter with me!

I'm originally from Fall River, about 40 minutes south of Boston. My Dad moved back there from Florida last summer, so I'm going to visit him. Bringing my girl and her 11-year-old daughter with me!

That's cool! Hopefully the weather will stay nice! You up here for a while?

That's cool! Hopefully the weather will stay nice! You up here for a while?

Nah, just a few days. I'm planning to drive up June 16th and 17th and drive back on June 22nd and 23rd. That gives me 4 days to visit and give my Florida girl a good tour of where I grew up.

It sounds like you've covered the bases pretty good. I've always driven by the credo that if it will go around the block, I can drive it across the country. Good luck and happy motoring.

I'm located in west New Jersey, If you run into problems yell for help!! I'm usually around! I can PM my cell, check for other members on the way up..Bob

It sounds like you've covered the bases pretty good. I've always driven by the credo that if it will go around the block, I can drive it across the country. Good luck and happy motoring.

Well, I've had it around the block a few times, now we'll see if it'll go across the country!

I'm located in west New Jersey, If you run into problems yell for help!! I'm usually around! I can PM my cell, check for other members on the way up..Bob

Thanks! I'll have internet access on my laptop wherever Sprint has coverage. If I get in a real jam, I'll be yelling!

Hey I am right off I-95 around Fayetteville NC if you have any trouble let me know I will do what I can I am on vacation until the 22 of June so I will be available whenever. If you want I can PM you my number just in case.

belts, water pump, wheel cylinder, maybe a spare master cylinder, tubing cutter, some brake line and a few compression fittings, antifreeze, some hose clamps, jack and tire tools (i almost always forget mine) alternator, universal inline fuel pump, the aformentioned ignition parts, a spare spark plug or two, some short lenghts of rubber hose in relevant sizes, a tow chain, and of course tools and don't forget a roll of duct tape and also an old blanket to put on the ground if its wet or dirty and you need to get under the car. oh, also don't forget a camera.

sounds like the car is pretty well sorted out i think you'll be fine - since you have already put 800 miles on it, its pretty much driven the equivalent of a third of the way. sounds like a fun trip that you guys will talk about years later.

good luck!
-Tim

Clothes, snacks, drinks, cash...............
Either in the trunk or back seat always start with the big stuff and pack around with the smaller items!!!!!!
Good Luck, I hope you can tell your friends when you get back "you told them so!:-D
I think there's more room under the seat!

64 packed to max 011.jpg

64 packed to max 022.jpg

My theory: pack everthing and nothing will happen:cheers:

I am close to I-95 around Richmond VA if you have any trouble.
I'm only available for your northbound trip... (uphill,LOL)

PM me if you want my #.

I sure miss mopar road trips...Pictures Please!

burg

Sounds like you're going to have a great road trip! You've done a lot of the general maintenance stuff (fluids/brake pads/shoes, hoses, etc) so aside from listening for things while on your road trip, there's not much more to do.

I took my Scamp on a 1,100 mile road trip last year and didn't have any problems. I averaged 13mpg (318 w. 3.23 gears). The one thing I thought that might bite me was tires, they were 18 years old and quite crusty but they held up well.

2 ballast resistors, voltage regulators and a Alt., belts. Replacement fuel filter (For those bad gas stations) and dry gas, octane boost.

Tools to use for these items.

Excellent mileage getters are;

A revemp of the ignition, MSD, cap rotor plugs and wires. I like 8mm wires from MSD, Heli wires. I used to have small boat fuel pumps. 1 hot wire and the fuel pump body to ground. It was enuff to feed the engine (Stock 318) to 80 mph.

Open air cleaner as well.

lets see. what would i bring..

ballast
ecu or points whichever you have
coil
belts
extra rad hoses
oil
trans fluid
2 gal of coolant
make sure the spare is good and you have a jack that works.
fix a flat
misc. wire and crimp connectors.
and tools. i would go too crazy here but bring everything you need to replace the stuff you bring like already stated.

I'm compiling the list of all the recommendations so far. It's a pretty long list!

Ignition/Electrical
2 ballast resistors
ECU
Coil
Distributor cap and rotor
Spark plugs
Plug wire set
2 voltage regulators (1 standard, 1 constant output)
Alternator

Engine/Cooling
Power steering belt
Alternator/ac belts
Upper radiator hose
Lower radiator hose
Bypass hose
2ea. 5/16 - 7/8 clamps
2ea. 1 1/4 - 2 1/2 clamps
2ea. 1/4 - 5/8 clamps
180 thermostat
Radiator cap
Water pump
Water pump gasket

Brakes
2 Rear wheel cylinders
Master cylinder
Universal inline fuel pump
Tubing cutter
Flaring tool
Brake line
Compression fittings

Fluids/Consumables
Fuel filter
Oil
Brake fluid
P/S fluid
Trans fluid
2 gal. coolant
Dry gas
Octane boost
Fix-a-flat
Duct tape

Tools/Accessories
Tow strap
Jack and tire tools
Tools
Misc. wire and crimp connectors
Old blanket

Passenger convenience
Camera
Clothes
Snacks
Drinks
AAA card
Cash

So far, it looks like all of this stuff is available through the major chain auto parts stores. I'll bet if we don't count the tools or passenger convenience, there's probably $500 worth of stuff there.

Any more ideas? Maybe road flares :shock:

Map or gps
FLASHLIGHT
Lighter (your human and should always carry fire, it always comes in handy for some reason.
FIRST AID KIT

Wouldn't just be easier to tow a parts car with you? Your list almost has enought to build another! LOL!!

I'm compiling the list of all the recommendations so far. It's a pretty long list!

Ignition/Electrical
2 ballast resistors
ECU
Coil
Distributor cap and rotor
Spark plugs
Plug wire set
2 voltage regulators (1 standard, 1 constant output)
Alternator

Engine/Cooling
Power steering belt
Alternator/ac belts
Upper radiator hose
Lower radiator hose
Bypass hose
2ea. 5/16 - 7/8 clamps
2ea. 1 1/4 - 2 1/2 clamps
2ea. 1/4 - 5/8 clamps
180 thermostat
Radiator cap
Water pump
Water pump gasket

Brakes
2 Rear wheel cylinders
Master cylinder
Universal inline fuel pump
Tubing cutter
Flaring tool
Brake line
Compression fittings

Fluids/Consumables
Fuel filter
Oil
Brake fluid
P/S fluid
Trans fluid
2 gal. coolant
Dry gas
Octane boost
Fix-a-flat
Duct tape

Tools/Accessories
Tow strap
Jack and tire tools
Tools
Misc. wire and crimp connectors
Old blanket

Passenger convenience
Camera
Clothes
Snacks
Drinks
AAA card
Cash

So far, it looks like all of this stuff is available through the major chain auto parts stores. I'll bet if we don't count the tools or passenger convenience, there's probably $500 worth of stuff there.

Any more ideas? Maybe road flares :shock:

yopur going to need a truck to follow you with all that stuff in it..lol

how old is the timing chain and gears?check air in spare tire,bring cardboard to lay on and a set of coveralls,I'm up in inverness if you still need valve covers I have several sets,yours for small donation to the shriners scamp build.

I'm in between Akron and Canton Ohio. Here is my cell and e mail if Murphy pays you a visit. [email protected] 330 212 0656. Did I see trans fluid? Can be used for power steering as well. Also duct tape or the tape you can get at the auto parts store to patch a hose. Maybe some small hooses and clamps in case a trans line goes. Don't forget line cutter. Good luck, Mike

-
Back