RoadRunner Dual point Distributor

-

ronw

Reaction score
My question for the 383 dist, does someone make a replacement plate that has a self contained ignition to put in the original distributor? Or does one have to buy a complete distributor and kit. And also which mini starter would work best for the big block 383. Trying to help a friend solve his hard starting problems. Also thinking of installing an electric fuel pump, all in hopes of solving his problem. Thanks Ron

you can usually find a mini starter in a junk yard on a late 90's truck v-8 or v-6, bolt right in, all starters are the same. that's where I got the two that I have.........

higgs

Contact Halifaxhops on here. He is becoming the dizzy Guru

One thing to note on starters is that one from the 90s Ram's will work, however on a big block such as my 400, I did have to grind away a portion (very small) from the back side of the starter to make it fit more flush with the side of the block. I asked for a starter from a 1994 Dodge Ram 5.2 v8 when I was at Autozone.

One thing to note on starters is that one from the 90s Ram's will work, however on a big block such as my 400, I did have to grind away a portion (very small) from the back side of the starter to make it fit more flush with the side of the block. I asked for a starter from a 1994 Dodge Ram 5.2 v8 when I was at Autozone.
Thanks Guys. Any thoughts on a Distributor or electric fuel pump thats doesn't require a regular?

I have a electronic dist that is like new if you are interested.

I also have a restored dual point dist if interested.

pm me if you like

I would NOT screw around with points. Dual points are cast iron "Prestolite" and much more common for RB (413/426/440)

I would do one of the following: (no particular order)

1....Buy a factory electronic, and recurve it. There's an outfit makes "easy" recurve plates called a "limiter plate"

Distributor Limiter Plates

search "FBO Ignition"

...............You can use that to trigger a Mopar factory ECU, an GM HEI module, or some other ignition such as an MSD box

2.........Buy a Pertronix. Lots of guys use them, they seem to be reliable. Downside is, if it quits you won't find parts at some parts store. You better buy 2 kits to have spare parts

3......Several aftermarket distributors and ignition systems, more expensive

+1 to the above regarding the electronic ignition. I wired the up HEI style ignition on my '65 Newport (uses a factory '73 electronic distributor )and it works a lot better than even the Mopar electronic setup. I wanted to do away with a ballast resistor. I ended up with a smoother running car. If something goes wrong, I can go to any parts store and grab an HEI module dirt cheap. Or do the Pertronix conversion if you already have a decent points distributor.

I've also went to the more expensive box type ignitions a few years back and feel like they were not worth the money at all and didn't perform any better than an HEI style setup. My MSD had these spells to where it was really hard to start. Never again. Your experience may vary...

As far as electric fuel pump, I am about positive that the Holley Red Pump has a fuel pressure preset of 7 psi and is supposed to maintain about 5. No regulator needed/required.

Holley 12-801-1 97 GPH Red Electric Fuel Pump

Last edited:
+1 to the above regarding the electronic ignition. I wired the up HEI style ignition on my '65 Newport (uses a factory '73 electronic distributor )and it works a lot better than even the Mopar electronic setup. I wanted to do away with a ballast resistor. I ended up with a smoother running car. If something goes wrong, I can go to any parts store and grab an HEI module dirt cheap. Or do the Pertronix conversion if you already have a decent points distributor.
Tell me more about the HEI style? Did you use the original Dist? And how is it wired?
I've also went to the more expensive box type ignitions a few years back and feel like they were not worth the money at all and didn't perform any better than an HEI style setup. My MSD had these spells to where it was really hard to start. Never again. Your experience may vary...

As far as electric fuel pump, I am about positive that the Holley Red Pump has a fuel pressure preset of 7 psi and is supposed to maintain about 5. No regulator needed/required.

Tell me more about the HEI setup and how its wired?

My question for the 383 dist, does someone make a replacement plate that has a self contained ignition to put in the original distributor? Or does one have to buy a complete distributor and kit. And also which mini starter would work best for the big block 383. Trying to help a friend solve his hard starting problems. Also thinking of installing an electric fuel pump, all in hopes of solving his problem. Thanks Ron
I always thought it was a shame, nobody made an electronic conversion for the prestolite distributor. when you compare the points plate and the vacuum advance, the prestolite is far more elegant.

-
Back