Rock Auto.....it rocks

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
As a Canadian i feel the prices on items are rediculous at times. Trying to build my project like many of us is expensive. Up here in the great white north it can get stupid in cost. Prices in the great U.S.A are good but shipping and getting dinged at the door with brokerage fees ends up being the same or more here. I have relied on Rock Auto alot and never had a let down. I recently ordered a gas tank i needed for my 67 Dart. Well it came with again no extra charge. Im in for a Spectra canadian made tank for a total of $248.78 shipped and the good ol HST tax. the cheapest i could get here was $340 to $375 plus tax and shipping. Make un known. All you Canadians on this site should wake the hell up and at least give them a chance. Sure they may not have all you need but why toss good hard money out the window. Just a heads up and my 2cW............:blob:

I love Rock Auto. No hassles trying to describe something to a counterperson that doesn't know a Mopar from a leaf rake.

I just bought everything to tune up my father-in-laws van from them and saved $90. If I had bought them at my local NAPA the cost would have been $176 + tax. Rock Auto was $92 shipped and only took 2 days to get here. Pop was real happy.

They even have a lot of parts for old cars. Have bought Timken bearings from them for an 8-3/4. Getting ready to buy a new heater core from them for my Cuda. Every time it's the best price I can find anywhere even counting the shipping cost

X2 on Rockauto.com I bought some good name brand rotors and pads for my son's car cheaper than my buddy who works for O'reilly could get them for me. I just make sure I know EXACTLY what part I need before ordering, cause you can't blame the parts guy when it ain't the right part!

I agree!
When I was putting together the parts for my disc conversion I ordered ceramic pads and they mistakenly sent organic. No hassles, they sent the correct pads and since shipping would have been more expensive than their value, they told me to keep them.
So, if anyone can use a set of front pads (PD84) they're yours for shipping.

went into a local auto parts store to order some small parts,looked at his
computer screen and he was ordering from Rock Auto.
got a price and left...went home and ordered the same parts for half the price,
.....from Rock Auto!

i order a lot from rock auto. you just have to watch when ordering multiple thing that you don't get hit with a bunch of shipping because the items came from different warehouses,

Ed, I am going to disagree with you..

I don't use them. I find Rock Auto too expensive...especially if the products come from multiple sources..and the will not ship USPS. And they are impersonal.

I use Norther Auto Parts in Sioux City, IA. they are quite flexible and will ship USPS. Any if you want, you can talk to a person. I have never had a problem with them.

If the company will not ship USPS, I will not use them. I believe a member here once mentioned that the courier companies kick back over 60% of the cost of using them back to the company ..that and you *always* end up paying brokerage/import duties. In the last couple of years, i have yet to fork over the extra cash for those..

i believe Summit now ship Fed Ex and there are no additional fees at the door.
their charges are just the normal shipping and handling...they handle any other fees.
Fed Ex will leave you with your parts and a smile!

Ed, I am going to disagree with you..

I don't use them. I find Rock Auto too expensive...especially if the products come from multiple sources..and the will not ship USPS. And they are impersonal.

I use Norther Auto Parts in Sioux City, IA. they are quite flexible and will ship USPS. Any if you want, you can talk to a person. I have never had a problem with them.

If the company will not ship USPS, I will not use them. I believe a member here once mentioned that the courier companies kick back over 60% of the cost of using them back to the company ..that and you *always* end up paying brokerage/import duties. In the last couple of years, i have yet to fork over the extra cash for those..

Ian, never have I paid anymore than the total cost at check out........NEVER. Yes you do have to watch when ordering multiple items. They have numerous warehouses and not all parts come from the same place. Its not hard to do..Its easy and they will inform you when your adding to your cart if items are not coming out of the same place.

My only issue with Rock is I bought a Moog problem solver pitman arm, not the private label stuff. What i got in the box was an older pitman that isn't the latest design. I called Moog to verify if it was a Moog piece.

The first Moog box I received from them had a mevotech pitman and no hardware bag in it.

Rock is pretty good vendor and took back the wrong arm without issue. Good service from them.

I have used them, but I always write the part #'s down and call the local supplier to compare. A tip too, if you use the same local supplier ask for trade price like your garage gets. Compare this price to Rock's with shipping and see... That being said, you can't beat getting parts delivered to your door. I have never had any problems with Rock's return policy

A year or two ago, I priced some very light parts..@ 100 bucks worth..shipping was 150 bucks.. oddly enough, i have found UAP occasionally very competitive..

i believe Summit now ship Fed Ex and there are no additional fees at the door.
their charges are just the normal shipping and handling...they handle any other fees. Fed Ex will leave you with your parts and a smile!

However, you are paying brokerage fees and duty. I the last couple of years, because I have my stuff mailed via USPS, I have yet to pay duty, brokerage fees and taxes..and here, we are talking 15%.

I would really need to see a comparison to be swayed.. the unfortunate parts is that we canadians are paying for the "free shipping to the lower 48".

I have saved a bundle by using Rockauto and other places in the US.If you look around you can find what you need and always cheaper than the loca parts store.Last summer I bought $820 worth of parts out of the US at FCP Groton shipped to my door that the local parts place wanted $1650 for and some of those parts were genuine Volvo parts .........no brainer!

Big Dog,

Haven't seen you around.

We are not discussing whether it is cheaper to buy in the US or not...most times it is...what we are discussing is whether to use companies that refuse to ship by USPS and those that do,,,

Rock auto is certainly not the only game in town. I do not but from Jegs, Summit, etc because of their shipping policies..

I have found that depending on where the package crosses the border, the likely hood of having to pay brokerage fees, taxes and the collection charge that CanPost charges..knock on wood but I buy a lot from the states....not just car parts..and I am very lucky..that I and really dislike courier companies..

BTW, I use a a company up in Cape Breton sometimes because some of his prices are killer..

-
Back