Rocker arm questions

-

Dubob

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Need some advice. I am putting together a 440 with eddy 84cc heads, Lunati solid roller cam 237-243 @ .050 .566 & .573 lift. The question I have is on roller or non roller tip rockers. With a non roller tip will there be an issue with the side loading on the valve stem. I understand the correct length push rods and the geometry needs to be correct for the set up. Primarily for street. Thanks in advance.

Need some advice. I am putting together a 440 with eddy 84cc heads, Lunati solid roller cam 237-243 @ .050 .566 & .573 lift. The question I have is on roller or non roller tip rockers. With a non roller tip will there be an issue with the side loading on the valve stem. I understand the correct length push rods and the geometry needs to be correct for the set up. Primarily for street. Thanks in advance.

Going that far it makes no sense in not completeing the combo with roller rockers. Here's a set of Hughes and set up correctly there are no issues.

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 270
I would not run a NON roller with a solid roller cam, way to much spring pressure. Most solid roller cams like to see 200+# on the seat and 550+# open. Thats way to much rubbing and side loading of the valve stem. Your guides will wear and it will gall the rocker tip and possibly damage the valve tip.

This is a real no-brainer, go with a quality roller rocker.

With spring pressures and lifts get that high does it shorten the life of the Roller rockers? Also to just in the rockers how much HP is expected to be gained if any? Also on a street driven motor are alum rockers up to the wear and tear of street driving? The OP inquired about mine and i mentioned the roller would be better. So basically we are wondering the same thing lol. I didnt think they were best for his build which is why I told him to post a thread. I know they would work but maybe not the best for his application.

i agree with everyone on him needing roller rockers. street miles should have no effect on the life span. in roller rockers you get what you pay for, with that lift a mid price non- needle bearing ones should be fine at the least. i like the needle bearing rockers better and my harlan sharps are pretty dang old. the key to them is using a hardened rocker shaft so the needles don't bite into it. when using a roller cam you are looking for horse power and to put non roller arms on is like pi$$ing into the wind, you're just not going to end up looking as good as you should.

i agree with everyone on him needing roller rockers. street miles should have no effect on the life span. in roller rockers you get what you pay for, with that lift a mid price non- needle bearing ones should be fine at the least. i like the needle bearing rockers better and my harlan sharps are pretty dang old. the key to them is using a hardened rocker shaft so the needles don't bite into it. when using a roller cam you are looking for horse power and to put non roller arms on is like pi$$ing into the wind, you're just not going to end up looking as good as you should.

Who makes a non-needle bearing rocker? all the ones i see even the highend harland sharps are needle bearing.

Its not the lift, its the came profile. Its a Solid Roller. They require a lot of spring. Lift doesnt have much to do with it. 600# is 600#, no matter what the lift.

Hello guys. I see all the replies and thank you for the input. You have confirmed my thoughts and research as well. The springs that are called out for this cam are 210 lbs on the seat with a rate of 495 lbs per inch. Its not that I want to cheap out on quality parts, I do not mind spending a little more $$$$ for quality parts but I don't want to throw away money that can be used else where either. My goal with this project is to Learn a few things along the way and end up with a good running but reliable as it can be combo. I don't plan on thrashing this every time I go out but I do want to enjoy it when I wanna. The last time I really took on a project like this there really wasn't the available advances that there are today. A purple shaft 292 509 hydraulic was pretty radical. Roller cams were pretty much reserved for race cars. bOb I really like your directness and to the point attitude. And I appreciate Demon Seed and Mike for chipping in as well. You guys are what make this sight a great place for info. I have been looking at the Hughes but tossing around the cryo treatment. Also I know the Harlands have been around many years and at one time were the top of the line. The comps ultra magnum with the "bronze" inserts are another. The dilemma with the comps is the fact that the recommended springs for the cam are a 1.55" OD and comps sight say they are good up to 1.54" springs so I am concerned about that. Any insight is truly appreciated by me.

-
Back