Rocker arm side play

-

speedyb-cc

speedyb
Reaction score
How much play should the rockers have on the shaft. Mine will rock about 1/8" sideways on the shaft. Seems like to much to me.
Bruce

Look at the pad inside the rocker where the rocker rides on the shaft, is it burnt and/or galled?

They look galled and it's all of them, now that I have a decent job I will be looking at replacing them with a roller setup. Do you have to buy different pushrods with the rollers?

Yep, and you'll need to measure the correct length before you order. The pushrods will have a cup on the top to accomodate the adjuster. Get the new rockers first, then measure for the pushrods.

Keep in mind that some manufacturers state that only a thread and a half should show below the rocker. This is to ensure that the adjuster and cup on the pushrod get adequate lubrication.

Were the rocker shafts installed the right way? If the oil holes are in the wrong position, the rocker gear would get smoked.

Do all of the rockers move side to side or only some?

If only some, maybe it is just because some of the valves are open/shut?

Just an idea, as 1/8" isn't that much.

Is your motor basically stock? If so, I would not spend the money for roller rockers just yet. If you get ready to build / upgrade your motor then you'd want to go for the good stuff. If the motor has been basically running OK I would probably put the stock type set up back on it. Also, you have to remember that the stock stamped steel rockers aren't exactly a super precision machined piece either, and as they get some miles / wear on them they'll just get worse.

thanks for all the input guys

Dustertogo
The motor is being built it's not in the car
.030 over 360
flat top hyper pistons 9.5-1
comp 480 cam 231@50
stock heads
MoparJ the rockers are not on the motor
I'm real close to putting the motor together so checking all parts now
I think the rollers would be a good investment
any suggestions on who to get the rollers from?
Thanks again Bruce

Bruce your best bet is to spend the extra money and get a good name brand set like Comp, Crane, Hughes, Racer Brown, and I know there's a couple more that I'm not remembering. I've experienced some of the cheap rockers and their accuracy is barely tolerable at best. I had a very nice looking set of Comp look alikes that sell on E-bay and the geometry was off pretty far. The roller nearly rolled off the valve tip at full lift. I know the name brand ones are quite a bit more expensive but their worth it. Sometimes you can find a good used set on the boards too so keep your eye out.

I like Crane rockers but that's personal preference. Hughes and Harland Sharp would work just fine too.

Comp cams claims 15-20 hp gain with their rollers. Do the alum hold up or is steel the way to go? There is a stainless set on e-bay reasonably priced but how does a guy get real world info on these products? Also is there any gain in buying the 1.6 ratio over 1.5?

Hughes Engines claims that the Comp stainless rockers have a tedendency to gall on the shaft, but they are trying to sell something too. I haven't had any experience with the Comp rollers so I have no opinion either way.

These claims of horsepower increases are due to two factors. One is the reduction of friction (Harlan Sharp may have the advantage here as they are full roller rockers, full roller meaning that the rocker rides on roller bearings on the shaft), the other is by getting a true 1.5 ratio which increases lift. Stock rockers vary quite a bit in regards to their true ratio.

The only real difference from one roller rocker to another will be in geometry, strength, reduction of reciprocating weight and quality of materials.

Thanks for he info Joe
Those Harlans IIRC are $700 without the shafts or hold downs, don't think I can afford those. The rest of my valve train is comp so maybe I should go with theirs for any warranty issues that may arise from the rest of the comp pieces.
Just pray the ole 18 will hold up long enough to get all the parts I need to finish the 360.

Yes sir, those Harlans are mighty pricey, but they're some of the best. Hope it didn't give you a near heart attack.

If you really want to freak, check out the prices for T&D rockers for a W2 or Large Port Commandos some time.

-
Back