Rocker Panel Cover Help

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
The 66 Barracudas have a Alum. trim/cover on the Rocker Panels that go from wheel well to wheel well. Mine are badly pitted from gravel and rocks. Any ideas how to clean them up a little. Need not be perfect. Budget is tight, a lot of hobby money now goes to transplants drugs.
Thanks,
Mike

Do you have a bench grinder? Get a buffing wheel for it. Go at the trim with some fine sandpaper to minimize the big spots, then run them on the buffing wheel with some polishing compound. Takes a bit to get the hang of it and they won't be perfect, but should come out better. Here's a couple before and afters.
PHOTO_20151228_202416.jpg
PHOTO_20151228_202437.jpg

Do you have a bench grinder? Get a buffing wheel for it. Go at the trim with some fine sandpaper to minimize the big spots, then run them on the buffing wheel with some polishing compound. Takes a bit to get the hang of it and they won't be perfect, but should come out better. Here's a couple before and afters.View attachment 1715190372 View attachment 1715190373

Thanks for the reply. I was lucky, I had to use the buffing wheel on the wheel well openings, window trim and the fender spears.
The rocker panel covers on a 66 are heavy Alum. extrusions. They have several deep wide grooves. The bottoms are painted black. The tops are highly polished. I'll sand the worst areas and repaint the black.
Thanks,
Mike

-
Back