Rocker shaft oiling

-

Thumpower

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but I can't figure out how the rocker shaft gets its oil. Obviously it does, since I just disassembled the shaft w/rockers (btw, found about half of the oil feeds for the oiling to the rockers plugged...) and it obviously is intended to pressure lube the rockers, etc. But I can't figure out how the oil gets there. The bolts are not hollow, neither are the pushrods, so how the !@#$!@ does the oil get there? And, yes, I did install the shaft with the notch up and forward per my manual!

thanks for any info.

Well, my /6 knowledge is limited, other than the fact I know they're pretty tough little engines.

They probably oil through a couple of enlarged holes around the hold down bolts, just like a smallblock does.

Strange on the notch, that's exactly opposite a smallblock, they are down on them.

And of course I could be completely incorrect, lol.

Around the rear rocker shaft hold-down bolt is where the oil comes up via a small passage in block and head that starts at the rear cam bearing. The rear rocker bolt is longer. Oiling of the rockers also oils the pushrods and one down to the lifter bores.

Around the rear rocker shaft hold-down bolt is where the oil comes up via a small passage in block and head that starts at the rear cam bearings. The rear rocker bolt is longer.

Is the notch supposed to face UP?

Just curious, I may have to get one of there leaning towers one day to play with.

Post# 18,000

You are spending too much time here!

The 'notch' is a 'flat' on one end of the rocker shaft and goes forward and up.

The rockers are forced up against the shaft so the oiler slots/holes would be on the bottom to make a wedge of oil between the rocker and shaft. I took my 6 apart and it was seriously coked (dried up sludge) but still ran fine. I bet my rockers are plugged to, just getting into it. I believe there is a freeze plug in each end of the rod and if you take them out you can clean them easily.

You are spending too much time here!

The 'notch' is a 'flat' on one end of the rocker shaft and goes forward and up.

Yeah, I know, lol.

I was just curious, I know what the notch is, it's just that it's opposite of a smallblock. Confusing indeed.

Yeah, I figured it out not long after i posted. I sas that the last rocker shaft mount had a larger hold than the bolt took, so it obviously feeds through there into the shaft and from there lubes everything. Thanks for the info!

The rockers are forced up against the shaft so the oiler slots/holes would be on the bottom to make a wedge of oil between the rocker and shaft. I took my 6 apart and it was seriously coked (dried up sludge) but still ran fine. I bet my rockers are plugged to, just getting into it. I believe there is a freeze plug in each end of the rod and if you take them out you can clean them easily.

Yeah, my 225 that had been in storage since 1982 had clogged holes in the shaft and rockers. No wonder the rockers wouldn't move! I bought the end plugs from Rockauto. Only came in boxes of 5 I believe but it was only about $2,50 for the whole box.

-
Back