rod caps

-

highflyer

Reaction score
I always struggle with getting the rod caps off.im struggling getting them off now.i know there is a trick out there somewhere.also im using arp rod bolts and nuts are the nuts reusable.how about sharing your method for easy disassembly...tx...j

There may be a new fangled way since I've done it, many moons ago :D. But, I just loosened the nuts, gave a few whacks with a rubber mallet, pulled the nuts, and worked the caps off. Might sound hillbilly, but it worked for me. A little rock back and forth of the crank may help a little also, if one is being stubborn.

As far as the nuts and bolts, I have reused them as long as there was absolutely no signs of any nicks or damage. Granted this was before the "torque to yield" stuff was really being used.

I'd like to hear what current builders are doing also. I'm never to old to learn.

A couple of soft taps on the side of the caps and worked them right off. Just like Rick said. I had a few problems with the machine shop work on my 360. I have had the pistons out several times, the above always works for me.

rubber or plastic hammer on alternating sides of the rod cap.

-
Back