Rod or restore a Hang Ten

-

75hang10

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm new to the forum and classics in general. I could really use some advice about what to do with a car I just bought. It's a 1975 Dodge Dart Sport Hang Ten edition. All sheet metal is good, no rust, 80% original paint, sbp ralley wheels, all chrome/trim is there and its really straight. I know the car has been wet sanded (hang ten graphics barely visible), was a six but is now an 8, and the vynil on the front buckets is starting to crack a little. Its got the jack stand, the console, 904 trans hooked to a 318 and a 7.25 rearend.

I don't know if this is something that would be more valuable to restore to original specs, or if this is something that I should keep clean and swap out some basics. I'd love for it to be a 360, with the bigger rearend and disc brakes up front. If I were to go custom I would consider adding the factory options that the car didn't have... dual scoops, 1/2 vinyl top, rallye lights on the front bumper, tuff wheel, etc.

So what do you think? Does this sound like a car that should be restored to factory specs or cleaned up and customized to have factory options that don't match the tags?

I would restore it as far as paint and interior but add the options you would have ordered it with.

Restore it. There are plenty of other /6 bodies out there that were just plain cars that can be had for little money and modified. Save the rare stuff, and play with the rest8)

I'd put the 360 & 8 3/4 in, have fun with it but keep it so that it can be brought back to stone stock if the need arises, I wouldn't do the top... too much of a pita.

It already has the V8, right? Without the original 6 it'l never be numbers matching. A 6 can go back in anytime in the future if you want an as manufactured look. I'd do the body 100% original, but warm up a 360 for some fun, and some nice wheels for some sparkle.

I will tell you the same thing that I tell everyone. Do what ever floats your boat and don't listen to what others have to say.

I've run into so many self proclaimed experts over the years that give me crap about the mods I have made to my Barracuda that I now get nasty and rude with them. My normal response now is; "If I couldn't do what I want with it I would have take it to the junk yard to be crushed long ago!"

Its your car have fun, the 360 and 8 3/4 are always good choices. Ask yourself deep down what do you really want, and just remember with out the original slant it will never be stock again. O and welcome to FABO

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I guess the biggest questions would be....
Will repainting it stock paint reduce value? Should I just have touch up work done?

Since I don't have the original slant six (didn't come with it), is there any value to trying to get a six that codes to be the correct build year/month?

I bought it in part as an investment and just want to be smart about it. I just have a tough time understanding what would make it more valuable and what would just make it keep value by building it for fun.

If anyone out there is in MI this weekend for the dream cruise PM me and you can check her out.

oh, and anyway to get something like blue prints for the graphics? I'd love to have them re-done but the only places I saw the stickers online wanted 600 for them. Same with the seat covers. Expensive lil ride to restore.

The vintage side of me says restore it to factory specs and have something very rare and collectible......

But the crazy side of me says mini tub that thing, put a crazy acid colored paint scheme on it, spend a small fortune in go fast parts and go kill some cookie cutter cars.

But like that guy with the pretty green notchback said, It's your car, don't listen to us and do what YOU want.

Or you could have the best of both worlds with the hang ten interior and paint scheme with all the go fast parts and modifications enough to kill those brand x cars.

For what its worth, Im building up my 66 Cuda but am keeping all the original parts that Im taking off just in case some time in the future I start kicking myself for not doing a total restore. Fortunately I have the room to store the original drive train and front end, plus all the other misc stuff. Bottom line is if you bought the car to sell and make money off of it restore it. If you didnt do that then build it into the car you want it to be. Either way good luck and get some pics up!

Don't get me wrong from my little comment above....................

I agree with doing what YOU want in your car......some guys on here don't like me much cause I'm a little too outspoken sometimes about doing what you like.......BUT, let me be constructive here, with a lot of classics under my belt.........

A Hang-10 is a rare bird, but whether it will stand the test of time and become a very valuable car is just not clear......the Slant in a car such as this is the kiss of death as far as resale........and PLEASE, no hate mail.....the Slant is one of my favorite motors of all time, especially when they run 11's in a quarter (and sometimes better).........BUT, be that as it may, you know as well as I do that a car like a Duster with a Slant has not yet become an item of desire to collectors............Not yet.

On the Barrett auctions for example, we have seen countless resto-mod cars appear that wiped the floor with bone stock classics as far as resale. We didn't see that comin'. (at least I didn't). There is also the "clone" craze, or "tribute" car movement, where a LOT of the Slants are being replaced with big blocks or snotty small blocks, and the car's end up totally transformed into a "special" model car that we couldn't afford if we wanted one......Like the T/A Challengers.........more clones now that originals it seems.

Your car, though it may be a rare bird, I personally don't think will suffer a loss of value by putting in a nice 360 or 340.......Heck, I'd like to see it with a Big Block........and if you restored the thing to it's original cosmetic appearance with that interior and paint scheme, I think it would be awesome!

Imagine an absolutely MINT Big Block Hang 10.........you talk about catching a wave!.........Or a whiplash causing 340 or 360............I think it would make your resto worth MORE to the modern enthusiast than if it had the Slant.

My opinion.........but I think one that might stand the test of time. You can always keep a numbers matching Slant in the garage in case it becomes a gold mine.....and if you restore it cosmetically, you're all set for that day if it comes. ........and that's all I have ta say about that. (as Gump would put it).8)

-
Back