Roll Bar kits for early a-body ??

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
Anyone out there that has roll bar kits for the early abody darts? 6 -point bar.
Thanks for any info !!

Anyone out there that has roll bar kits for the early abody darts? 6 -point bar.
Thanks for any info !!

I don't think anyone carries model specific roll bar kits or cage kits (except for brand X cars) You may get a supplier claim they fit a certain model/year but all of them are "trim to fit" types.

Jegs, Karbelt (CDN), Summit, S-W Race Cars and Chris Alston Chassis are all a good starting point for kits.

I suggest having one bent up for your application and weld it in yourself or have someone do it professionally.

FYI - memorize the NHRA or IHRA specs (for the ET you're running) on roll bars/cages before you start your project. You can never spend enough $ to protect yourself.

And another thing; always build to what E.T. you eventually want to run. There's nothing like tearing out a good peice of equipment and starting over to ruin your day.

I've seen too many racers get DQ'd at tech inspection (at quality tracks) for out of spec or out of date safety related items. I know some tracks don't look very close but you never know when a tech inspector is going to check your vehicle "by the book".

sscuda

S & W has what you need, and if you can wait, they discount them about once a month. I've purchased 4 cage kits from them and have been very happy with their service and product.

Kit 11-2033 is the 8 point
Kit 11-2533 is the 10 point
Kit 12-2033 is the 12 point

My catalog says 65-66 Dart, but it fit my 63 like a glove.

Their number is 1-800-523-3353 or www.swracecars.com

Does anyone know if this would work in a 66 Barracuda? Has anyone put a rollbar/cage in a Barracuda, while retaining the "stock" interior?

Chris Robson

S & W has what you need, and if you can wait, they discount them about once a month. I've purchased 4 cage kits from them and have been very happy with their service and product.

Kit 11-2033 is the 8 point
Kit 11-2533 is the 10 point
Kit 12-2033 is the 12 point

My catalog says 65-66 Dart, but it fit my 63 like a glove.

Their number is 1-800-523-3353 or www.swracecars.com

Do you have any pics of your cage? I was wondering how they ran the the bars in the dash area. Through the dash, etc.? Are the bars for the A-pillars (windshield) ran close the the pillar? Sorry for hi-jacking thread Chris.

Roy

I will be ordering from S&W Racing for my 66 Dart,I,d love to see some pics. DagoRed.

P.S For a $169 does this sound right?

Where ya located? If in florida look me up,I might be interested in doing it.Do Not Let anyone weld anything into your car without shielding all of your glass and upholstery,welding spatter will stick into the glass and ruin it.
Does anyone know if this would work in a 66 Barracuda? Has anyone put a rollbar/cage in a Barracuda, while retaining the "stock" interior?

Chris Robson

I will be ordering from S&W Racing for my 66 Dart,I,d love to see some pics. DagoRed.

P.S For a $169 does this sound right?

For an 8 point roll bar, yes. I don't see Canada listed for shipping estimate. Check the NHRA rulebook to be sure, but roll bars are ok unless you are faster than 10.00 or 135mph. Any faster than that and you need a cage.

Roy

For an 8 point roll bar, yes. I don't see Canada listed for shipping estimate. Check the NHRA rulebook to be sure, but roll bars are ok unless you are faster than 10.00 or 135mph. Any faster than that and you need a cage.

Roy
Here I believe it,s 11.5 or 11.0 or faster and you need a cage.

I just installed a (65-66) 8 point kit from S and W in my 1964 Dart last Sunday.The fit of the bars as far as the "fishmouths" where they met each other was excellent.The only thing that i didnt like was having to cut the angles on the floor sides of the tubes without an angle finder .I assumed that floor ends were slash cut to fit already ,but they were not.The main hoop was bent perfect for my 64 and the instructions were easy to read.A freind and i did the install in about 10 hours ,not bad considering it was the first one we have done.Looks great and im more than happy with it...

:clock: I FINALLY fished my 66 Dart project out of the back of the shop and shot some pictures of the ten point cage setup. Was it Fireball who wanted to see them, or PettyBlue? My computer dumped my PM's. I needed to wait till my boys visited to help move all my cr@p.................:happy10:

:clock: I FINALLY fished my 66 Dart project out of the back of the shop and shot some pictures of the ten point cage setup. Was it Fireball who wanted to see them, or PettyBlue? My computer dumped my PM's. I needed to wait till my boys visited to help move all my cr@p.................:happy10:

Me :-D

Here is the S and W Racecars 65-66 Dart 8 point kit installed in my 64 .It took a friend and i about 9 hours to fit it and weld it in place.Im happy with it for the price ...

100_2672.jpg

100_2673.jpg

100_2674.jpg

100_2675.jpg

100_2676.jpg

that looks really good !!! :D :cheers:
Thanks ,the only bad part of the floor in my car was right where the door bars attached to the front floor on both sides.I had to cut out about a 8 x 10 section of the floor and weld it in first ,so i would have good solid metal to weld the rollbar plates to.If it hadnt been for that we would been done in about 5 hrs.I let my buddy do the welding on the tubes themselves ,and if you look at the up close pics of the welds ,you can see why.Hes a talented guy with a mig and a 12 pack in him ...

Looks great! Thanks for posting pics.
No problem , i wish i woulda had a chance to see pics like this before i did mine.It always makes it easier to see the finsihed product while you installing something.Hope it helps somebody out on their install...

No problem , i wish i woulda had a chance to see pics like this before i did mine.It always makes it easier to see the finsihed product while you installing something.Hope it helps somebody out on their install...
Thanks for pics Shocker,I,ll be ordering one in January for my 66 Dart project.

And here is the 8 point with my homeade rear firewall installed.I used 22 gauge galvanized sheetmetal (cost about $35.00 ). All i have to do now is weld on the tabs for the 5 point harness ,make the rear seat support and im ready to race again ...

100_2692.jpg

Chris Robson

It's not a kit but I kept all of my original interior, including the fold down rear seat. I had a cage installed back in the 80's but I ended up cutting it all out except the main loop and replaced them with ones I bend myself to make sure everything cleared the way I wanted.

You could use a kit but the side rails would have to be modified to clear the stock buckets and the two rear rails may have to be modified as well

Photo1422.jpg

Photo1353.jpg

Photo1354.jpg

Well I ordered the 8pt. rollbar from S&w Racing also,cost was $179 then ofcourse shipping and all the other $$$ crap.I,ll be installing it in the 66 Dart as soon as I can get the time(this month)been busy with regular job.

-
Back