Roll Cage Installation

-

stroker416

Destroyer of Legend at C/S Speed LLC
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi there. In the last few days I started installing a roll cage from competition engineering in my 68 barracuda notchback. Its going pretty well. The most expensive part of the install so far includes the drill press, tube notcher, and 1 5/8" metal cutter from blair...which by the way works awsome and was well work the $49 bucks. Hell it looks like something you'd pay 150$ for.

Anyway I've got a lot of future plans for this car and posting these pictures is pretty much breaking my rule number 7 in half. So maybe if i feel ballsy I'll talk about the rest of the build later. We'll see. here's some pics of the main hoop, rear struts, cross bar all tacked in place. the top hoop is mocked up with some ratchet straps, ive got to re-notch the ends of it and finalize its postion. Cages suck for tall people.

Im throwing in a pic or two of the mini-tubs as well.

20110110204913.jpg

20110110204924.jpg

20110114200023.jpg

20110114200032.jpg

20110114200041.jpg

20110114200047.jpg

20110114200141.jpg

20110114200207.jpg

20110114200214.jpg

20110114200232.jpg

20110114200240.jpg

And two pics of the tubs installed....

20110114200127.jpg

20110114200112.jpg

Looks good Stroker!!

I guess you didn't really need the PP for the minitub after all! Unless you just did all that work in the last 2 days!

Always good to have so when someone asks you can pass it along!

Sometimes i read too fast. I though the PP was for the 4-link. My bad. I get on this thing way too late sometimes and zone out when the screen gets blurry....btw i figured out my stuff on that other question i asked you. On the front side of the leaf spring the centerline of the bushing to the center of the pin measured about 21.5" on my SS springs. Thats a good starting point.

Thanks again for all your help.

I was going to do a Power Point but I got lazy. I sure do have enough pictures to do one that is for sure! I am onto finishing the TT project now, no looking back! haaaaaa

Glad you answered your own question. That is good. From what I see you will have no problems with the 4 link at all!

Looking good (don't ya love sitting in there and getting burnt?) Some ?'s:
do you have shoulder belts going through the seat backs, looked like in 1 pic you had seats in, with blankets? Horizontal bar looks low, if not.
1 pic, main to floor sitting on the edge of 1/8" plate, think it needs to roll up and center. If not for strip, never mind, lol

As far as for tall, and NHRA, I talked to them; they basically let the hoop be installed high enough to still clear the head liner; aboce the head is for custom. It doesn't hurt to throw some tubing from the cage to the front of the rear springs, to give more strength.

I agree the main hoop crossbar may be a bit low. You may want to sit in the car to make sure the crossbar is within spec via the NHRA measurements.

Horizontal bar looks low, if not.
1 pic, main to floor sitting on the edge of 1/8" plate, think it needs to roll up and center. If not for strip, never mind, lol

The seat in the pick is the stock bench. Its only in there because I dont reun the heat in the winter accept when I'm at the garage (7 miles from my house and it uses heating oil...) I dont want any mice or something else to get in and burrow through it. I have some sparco seats i borrowed out of my cousins EVO that are the same as the ones i want to run everything measured up. That bench seat is really really high. When I sat in it with my helmet on my head hit the roof...and as you can see theres no headliner.

With the sparco installed i was at 4 3/4" for the main hoop....about the horizontal bar...what's the height spec on that and I'll double check it.

Also, the main hoop seems to bend in fast; with the halo attached inwards, is you head still in the cage? And when you install the side bars, they are serious about 1/2 way between shoulder and elbow; the higher, the better (swing-out bars).

Thanks for the pics hemiroid.

Green so you're thinking the top half of the main hoop is bent in at too steep of and angle. Maybe I should remount the main hoop higher up on the back seat plain? Just to tuck it up higher? Or should i get anorher main hoop? Or scrap this one and get a new roll cage from a different manufacturer?

Im glad I ran out of argon/co2 tonight before i started to tack in the top hoop.

Allright. As of this morning I'm taking the cage out of the car for right now. I'm going to recheck all my measurements. Measure up ever piece of tubing from this kit and make a decision. I'll either be re-using this cage or getting a different one.

I've looked over dozens and dozens of pictures, talked to all the good fellas here and got a lot of good advice. Thanks guys. Im gonna measure this stuff up. If the fit and finish isnt the way I want it to be, its in the crappy with this cage and on to the next.

Well I talked to the guys at Art Morrison and thought about it long and hard for the passed few days. So I placed an order for a 10-point, no dash, no rear seat kit from them. It's not going to be bent up until next week so Im hoping to get it at the shop by the end of the month or the beginning of february...Ill post some pic of the install.

hello out there. I want to put a 8 point cage in my 72 duster. does anybody know anybody in the metro Detroit area to do the job and what can I expect to pay for it. thank you in advance. ken61

hello out there. I want to put a 8 point cage in my 72 duster. does anybody know anybody in the metro Detroit area to do the job and what can I expect to pay for it. thank you in advance. ken61
Ken61 you might wanna start a thread in Racers Forum for more/better answers.

-
Back