Rollcage kit?

-

Rodzilla

Reaction score
My demon is a bare shell and at the bodyshop for paint and having Billy Reilly's AlterKtion and Street Lynx put in. Mini-tubbed and sub frame connectors are on the to do list. Now I'm tossing around the idea of throwing a cage in it while its easy to do. Probably an 8 point and to save time and money I figured I would just order a kit. Are there any kits you guys might suggest that have a good fit and quality right out of the box? I'm shooting for 550HP from a 416 so I'm hoping high tens on the strip if I get it there, so a cage will be needed as not to get the boot from the track. Not worried about losing backseat, never seems to get used in my last couple of cars.
I know the shop my car is at has very good welders, I just dont want to pay $75/hr for them to be cutting checking cutting welding etc. When I've seen kits for a couple hundred bucks on the net.

Thanks

My son got his here, Not sure if they have a Canadian supplier.
But they could.

Attachments

• BUDDY%20&%20CREED%202010%20Sept_%20046.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 410
X2 S&W I have never seen one or had one BUT I have seen ALOT of guys post about how well they fit.

I used a S&W kit in my cuda.You do have to cut the bars to length . I used a 8 point roll bar that allowed me to retain my back seat.Only a small child can crawl back there but it looks good.

Attachments

• P7110058.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 370
Chris Alstons Chassis Works. I buy all of my roll bars and chassis componants from them and have never been disappointed. Roll bars fit nicely with out a bunch of bending and fine tuning.

I bought the 8-point kit from S&W Racing for my 66 Dart,delivered to Toronto,Ontario was just over $300.Fit was great.:burnout:

Art morrison.. Bends were all perfect but all will need cutting and trimming to fit.

Lol; I'm glad everybody else had luck with the kits. Bought a s+w, 1/3 fit, Alston, at least got another 1/3rd in. The rest had to be custom. (70 Duster). In 1987.

now this brings a thought...chromoly or mild steel? pros and cons of each? how long is a cage good for if you have it all built right to current nhra specs?

chrome moly=tig weld. NHRA is only anal about the 2 year seat belt rule. The seat belt companies must be slipping $ under the table.

I'd agree with Mtn Thunder. The Chris Alston's Chassisworks kit really fits the roof clip and pillars perfectly.
Great price and years of know how.

I am building my own. (not that it helps you) but I would like to say that if your not careful you can chew up alot of tubing. We estimated 110 ft for my car (for a 10 point) and it has taken us about 210 and we are not done. Now this is the fisrt cage I have ever done and I have screwed up a bunch of tube trying to get it right. And a pro should not have issues like I did. But keep in mind you might be looking at buying more tube than just what is in the kit.

now for cromo vs mild steel. Both are acceptable. Cromo is lighter but requires a TIG. MS Is a little heavier but can use TIG or MIG. Cromo is only lighter because it's stronger and you can use a thinner wall without losing strengh.

on an 8 point roll bar there is no time limit on it's life. It will be good forever, a 10 point (asuming your faster than 10.50) will require certification, and it's good for 2 years. (then you just have it done again and your good to go) just keep the car slower than 10.50 and you won't have any problems.

Still on the fence about doing a cage, can't decide if I want to lose backseat use or not. Thanks for the input.

ive seen cars with a removeable rear cross bar but im not sure if that is track legal or not someone on here should know that though. thats actually something that i would like to know cause i might wanna do that.

I don't know if making it removable is leagal or not eather. Honestly I would go and see what your tech inspector thinks. I had a nitrous bottle in a truck once and it was mounted on the top of awheel well. Raced at one track and it was " a good idea so you don't loose bed space" (from the guy doing tech) then the next track said no. Because if I lost a tire it could rip the monting bolts out and the bottle could become a missile. So I say talk to the tech guys where you race. And see what they think about a removable bar. Also you could order up arule book and see what it says for the times and class of racing your wanting to do.

-
Back