Roller lifters A engine

-

Moparmaniac40

Terry Allen
Reaction score
I am in the process of installing the tube kit in my 69-340 block.I have reamed the right side oil gallery,and am preparing to install the tubes.It seems that I have misplaced the long drill bit that came in the kit.Does anyone know the size of the drill bit used to drill the main bearing oil passages ,and up through the tubes?.I think its a 9/32 but Im not 100% sure.Also any other tricks from the guys that have been there done this?

Greatly Appreciated
Terry Allen(Moparmaniac40)

The simplest way would have been to get the lifters that you don't have to block the passages with. They are making them for mopars now. They have been out for a couple of years now, put some in a 360 block with only gringing in the valley for lifter retainer clearence and they worked just fine without any other modifications. Crane cams, and Doug Hebert has them.

BJR Racing

Just be careful on the grinding..you dont need much clearance, and while I havent done it..I know several fellows that hit water there by mistake...$.02

Your only going to grind about .015-.020 and thats it. It's mainly flashing anyways.

BJR Racing

I bought the lifters years ago from mopar performance,they are Crane lifters,and I believe I have no choice but to block the right oil gallery.I donot want to spend more money on newer lifters,and bushing the lifter bores is not in the budget.I thought if someone had the tube kit they could measure the drill size ,of the drill that comes in the kit so I can order one that is the correct size.

Thanks for the replys

Terry

Maniac40, I have a kit in the shop I haven't used. Give me a day or so to post the measurements. Terry.

You have the correct size at 9/32 or "approximately" 0.283 as quoted in the Mopars engine book. They suggest drilling using this size bit in 3 areas: the passages on mains 1 through 4 up to the lifter oil gallery as well as drilling main passages 2 and 4 to the cam bearing journals and drilling the camshaft bearing to deck surface on journals 2 and 4.

-
Back