Roller rocker choice for 380 crate

-

rtee007

Deplorable Texan
Reaction score
5.9L Magnum crate motor (380). What is a good choice for a roller rocker replacement?
Hydraulic roller cam, and a double-roller drive.
Part #'s helpful.
I am wondering if the 1.7's will fit ?

Waiting on those Hughes to get back in stock...I need a set for Eddy Magnum heads...want the shaft rockers.

I was also looking at these shaft rockers from Hughes. I currently have stock magnum heads with the factory pedestal mounts and Hughes 1110 springs. My cam has .507/.514 lift. With these 1.65 ratio rocks my lift would go to .523/.530 according to my math looking at my lobe lift from my cam card.

I just wonder if that would be pushing it lift wise on the stock mag heads and 1110 springs. The op might be pushing it too with the cam they used in the 380 crate? Not trying to high jack just wondering. Any thoughts?

I was also looking at these shaft rockers from Hughes. I currently have stock magnum heads with the factory pedestal mounts and Hughes 1110 springs. My cam has .507/.514 lift. With these 1.65 ratio rocks my lift would go to .523/.530 according to my math looking at my lobe lift from my cam card.

I just wonder if that would be pushing it lift wise on the stock mag heads and 1110 springs. The op might be pushing it too with the cam they used in the 380 crate? Not trying to high jack just wondering. Any thoughts?

The factory Magnum rocker ratio is already 1.6.

I know that the stock ratio is 1.6. My cam is .507/.514 lift according to 1.6 rocker ratio.

.501/.513 is the advertised lift on my 380 crate motor....wondering about piston/valve clearance.

Harland Sharp also sells some similar to the Hughes.

I woul wait for Hughs rockers,They have helped me to no end on a couple small block builds and every thing i bought from them and the tech advice they have given me was
100%.

The stock Magnum heads , peak out at around about .500"- .520" lift. I recommend , a good valve job & bowl blend. Or check out the "E.Q" heads.

The stock Magnum heads , peak out at around about .500"- .520" lift. I recommend , a good valve job & bowl blend. Or check out the "E.Q" heads.

are you sure on that number...My cam has .538 of lift on the exhaust side and I use to run it on stock heads all day long...I thought I heard somewhere that it was larger than that.

Hughes said the magnum rocker shaft kit is about 3 weeks away from being in stock...waiting for the small shafts..

are you sure on that number...My cam has .538 of lift on the exhaust side and I use to run it on stock heads all day long...I thought I heard somewhere that it was larger than that.

Yes that's about right.

are you sure on that number...My cam has .538 of lift on the exhaust side and I use to run it on stock heads all day long...I thought I heard somewhere that it was larger than that.[/
Good info, to know. Thanks. Valve guide to retainer clearance, (on mine, home assembled) would be about .040" clearance at full lift. (seems to close, to me) I played it safe, in my case.

I called Hughes last week....and asked about those rockers...Kevin said they have the rockers...they are waiting on the small shafts that holds a pair of rockers...He expected them in a 3 weeks....as I posted #16........

If the cam makes the engine/car a bit unstreetable and a torque converter change is out of the question, then I'd use the Rhodes lifters. Set to maximum for the max cut in duration. You may need new pusheods with that.

If the cam makes the engine/car a bit unstreetable and a torque converter change is out of the question, then I'd use the Rhodes lifters. Set to maximum for the max cut in duration. You may need new pushrods with that.

The cam is fine. And it is a manual trans. I have never used the Rhodes.

I called Hughes last week....and asked about those rockers...Kevin said they have the rockers...they are waiting on the small shafts that holds a pair of rockers...He expected them in a 3 weeks....as I posted #16........

Yes sir I saw #16. Thank you for responding to my inquires ��

-
Back