Roller rockers problem!

-

Marcelo Dart BR

Reaction score
Last week my engine was making a loud ticking sound. Today I removed the valve covers to check the valve lash and found a totally destroyed roller from a rocker arm... And one more with the roller going out of the rocker.

I have them for about 2 years, they are made by CAT. I send them a e-mail, don't know if they will send me a reply.

And the factory type iron adjustable rockers are better yet.

Looks like you got some needle bearings floating around in the oil pan. Once they slip pass the oil pump screen they will either damage the pump gears or even lock the oil pump right up.

I think they have about 10,000 miles maybe.

I hope the needle bearing didn't got into the engine, at least there was nothing on the heads.

As many have said, there will be some of these that work, some that break, and some that are junk right out of the box... I would count yourself lucky you got a decent service life from them, and they didnt destroy anything you are aware of. This is why I'll never recommend them. Sintered iron are a great rocker for the cost, or any of the bigger name more pricey product.

Had a set on my eddy headed 408,nothing but problems.Adjusters are not hardened.Spring pockets only clear a stock width spring

Probably talking about the cats. I know engine builders who recommend the crane gold rocker. They seem to be reliable enough.

Order up a set of Comp pro mags and don't look back

Ive said it before...and I'll say it again...you need to routinely check needle bearing rockers, they are a race piece..

The other thing I say a lot...is to pay attention to setup....

The springs/retainer have been smacked by the rocker a hundred thousand times now it looks like, so better check that valve guide now.

Also, how much side play did you run ??

nothing should have been able to fall out if the side play is tight enough 'like .010' and only then...the rocker body would have to be worn/broken or the shaft worn down to allow the clearance.

but i can only imagine the side play was HUGE to have enabled the rollers to dig into the race so bad as to eat it completely away and fall out..

best thing beside dropping the pan and checking the screen/pump etc...is to stick a strong magnet on the bottom of the oil pan.

I use magnets on/in all my oil/trans pans

btw count how many rollers are supposed to be there, then see how many you've found.

it also looks like the adjuster side of the rocker had some issue?

cat's have a rep of complete sht, a lot of big block horror stories about them failing....which is why I skipped them.

I check the valve lash about 3 times a year. They looked ok until start to make that noise. I really think there was some sideplay, they didn't come with enough shims and I thought it was ok that way...

There was no needle bearings around the rocker. I hope they didn't fell out. I'll count them anyway.

On the adjuster side there is just some scratching on the paint.

-
Back