Ronnie Sox 'Performance Tests'

-

69 Cuda 440

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ronnie Sox 'tested' many 'new' Mopar Performance cars at the Track.

Though not every test was published in the Magazines.

Some Results

* 1965 Plymouth Satellite 383/330 HP {4-Speed w/3.91 Gears}

* Shipping Weight................ #3440 lbs.
* Tires................................ 7.35 x 14"
* 1965 NHRA Stock Class....... B/Stock

Before any 'performance tune-ups', the 1965 Satellite hit 15.20's @ 92 MPH.

Following an adjustment of the Carter AFB, re-setting the Timing, and
Clutch adjustment.

* Added 'optional' Tires..... 7.75 x 14"

* Final Best Result,,,,,,,,, 14.98 @ 94.2 MPH

Its hard to beleive Sox. Landy ,Jenkins are all gone , I spent many race days watching them race each other in match races at Atco Dragway , Long may they run

As usual 69 Cuda 440 , it's always interesting to read your posts!

Thanks Keith, much appreciated.

1965 Plymouth Satellite 426-S

Yes, a 426/365 HP 'Street-Wedge'.

Ronnie only got to test an Automatic with 3.23 Gears at Capitol Raceway in Maryland in early-1965.

They were 'not' overly impressed, as the Transmission was not shifting the way they had wanted.

Car Shipping Weight.....#3510 lbs.
Engine..........................426/365 HP
Gears...........................3.23
Transmission...............A-727
Tires............................7.75 x 14"
NHRA Class.................B/SA

Test Results................15.29 @ 89 MPH

Ronnie said it was 'under-cammed and under-carbed'.

Thanks Keith, much appreciated.

1965 Plymouth Satellite 426-S

Yes, a 426/365 HP 'Street-Wedge'.

Ronnie only got to test an Automatic with 3.23 Gears at Capitol Raceway in Maryland in early-1965.

They were 'not' overly impressed, as the Transmission was not shifting the way they had wanted.

Car Shipping Weight.....#3510 lbs.
Engine..........................426/365 HP
Gears...........................3.23
Transmission...............A-727
Tires............................7.75 x 14"
NHRA Class.................B/SA

Test Results................15.29

Ronnie said it was 'under-cammed and under-carbed'.

that's the whole problem right there ...Ronnie Sox ...Mr. 4 speed testing an automatic with such shallow gears ....that had to be a frustrating run for him.

The 1965 '426-S' was a 'major' disappointment.

365 HP @ 4800 RPM
470 Ft/Lbs. of Torque @ 3200 RPM

Testing day, the Technical Staff could not get the A-727 to shift correctly, even with Ronnie engaging it 'manually'.

A faulty 'governor' was causing problems, as the A-727 was erratic in shift points.

And the 'Floor Shifter' was giving Ronnie 'fits', as it would not engage shifting gears properly.

Performance Result...........15.29 @ 89 MPH.........Was pretty pathetic.

Only {1017} 1965 Plymouth Satellite's were built with the 426 'Street-Wedge'.

page14.jpg

thanks for posting all your threads I have read them many times and I cant wait till you post another.

Ronnie Sox did 'pop' a few runs in 1965 '273 Commando', but it was not in the 'highly marketed' Barracuda.

It was in a Valiant 4-Speed 'V-100' 2-Door Sedan with 6.75 x 14" Tires.

In 1965 the Valiant 273 Commando was pushed for the 'Junior Stockers' that were
running in the 'highly competitive' D/Stock Class {11.30 to 11.88 Wt/Hp}.

You could also run them in 'D/PS' {Pure Stock} at some Dragstrips.

A Factory-prepped but 'stock' V-100 with 3.91 Gears, the little 273 Commando was able
to shock everyone, as Ronnie snapped off a string of 15.30's in Suffolk, Virginia.

MPH range was measured at 91 MPH.

This car was tested with the 'spindly 7 1/4" Rear, which by the end of the Performance Test
was 'caterwauling' like an injured Bobcat.

1966 in Maryland @ Cecil County Dragoway

While campaigning the 1966 Barracuda A/FX Funny Car in 1966.

Ronnie Sox did test run a 66' Plymouth Satellite '426 Street Hemi' 4-Speed,
a '66' Satellite '383' 4-Speed and a 66' Barracuda '273 Commando' called 'Miss Fish'.

1966 Satellite, 4-Speed , w 3/54 Gears {Dana Rear}, w/G-70 x 15" Red-Streak Tires

* Shipping Weight............ #3670 lbs.
* Curb Weight.................. #3850 lbs.
* NHRA Class................... A/Stock

* '5' Test Runs produced... 13.80's @ 103 MPH
* Best Run...................... 13.77 @ 103.84 MPH

If the 'Tech Team' had time to fully prep the 'twin' Carter AFB's and add a 'performance'
tune-up, they may have hit 13.50's on 'Street Tires'.

Plymouth Racing Reps and Ronnie Sox were convinced that if the '426 Street Hemi' had a
Hurst Shifter (instead of the Inland Shifter}, a complete performance tune-up and NHRA Legal
Stocker Legal Slicks {7" Wide x 28" Tall} on 15" x 6" Rims, that the Satellite may have hit
13.10's through its stock exhaust system.

1969 1/2 "Road Runner' 440 6-Barrel

* Shipping Weight.................... #3530 lbs.
* Curb Weight......................... #3765 lbs.

1969 NHRA Stock Class............ D/S or D/SA
1969 NHRA Super/Stock Class... SS/G or SS/GA

a12roadtest7.jpg

This car was tested with the 'spindly 7 1/4" Rear, which by the end of the Performance Test
was 'caterwauling' like an injured Bobcat.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Give Ronnie Sox a car with a 4-speed and a 7 1/4" rear end for a day......LOL Well, they wanted stupendous numbers to print! I also thank you for these postings as well, 69 Cuda 440. Very interesting!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Give Ronnie Sox a car with a 4-speed and a 7 1/4" rear end for a day......LOL Well, they wanted stupendous numbers to print! I also thank you for these postings as well, 69 Cuda 440. Very interesting!

Good one!
That single test series probably influenced Chrysler going to the 8-3/4 rears with the early 4 speed Commandos.
I had a 67 273 Commando cuda with a 3.23 SG 8-3/4 and never broke it, so thanks Ronnie!

The 65 426W cars looked good on paper but....
Needed the 1967 440 heads/cam/manifolds.

Always enjoy the info you post 69 Cuda 440!

The 'ultimate sleeper'.

65' Valiant V-100 2-Door Sedan with a 273 Commando w/4-Speed and 3.91 Gears.

Shipping Weight........ #2712 lbs.

'Approved and Certified by Mr. Ronnie Sox'

This one is a 6-Banger. The 273 had a 'V-8' emblem on the front fender, near the bumper and head light trim.

plymouth_valiant_v-100_2-door_sedan_1.jpg

1966 Plymouth Satellite 383

383/325 HP ~ 4-speed with {Code 358} 3.55 Gears w/Sure-Grip

Ronnie Sox 'Test Drove' a 66' Satellite at Capitol Raceway

383/325 HP

A 'stock' car for 'D/Stock' in 1966.

Shipping Weight......... #3465 lbs.
Curb Weight.............. #3648 lbs.

Without a good set of Gears, the 66' Satellite couldn't get out of it's own
way, and lumbered to a best of 15.57 @ 92 MPH.

December 1968

Irwindale Raceway

1969 '383 Road Runner'

* 4-Speed
* 3.91 Gears
* Coyote Duster {Under-Hood Air Induction System}
* F-70 x 14" Tires

Test Results......... 14.01 @ 101.26 MPH {Average}
Best Time............ 13.98 @ 101.89 MPH

Ronnie Sox was...... 3/10's quicker than the next best driver.

mnR3sBDvzIYOkW2bjLheMGw.jpg

Anyone care to take a shot at describing Ronnie's technique with a 4 speed? I've looked around a bit for this kind of info, didn't find much.

I'd be super-curious to know too......I wonder if slipping the clutch was part of his technique?

I can say this,

He was faster than Dick Landy, who was 'damn quick', and maybe the
most forceful in shifting a 4-Speed.

I'll probably start a war here, but there is no secret to running a manual trans car. Some are born with it and others acquire it. If you have the knowledge of how the mechanics of a car works, along with the coordination to drive it, it comes down to the senses. The sound and feel that become ingrained in you over time can make you good at what you're doing. It's really becomes being "one" with the particular car your driving. A truly good driver doesn't even need a tach to get fast times with any particular car that the've had a few runs in. Ronnie had it.....the knowledge and the feel. Many others thru the years have had it too. I'd consider myself in the top 90% as far as having the given sense to get the max out of a 4spd car. Some of us just never had the desire or opportunity to get to the level of the big guys.

Correct OldManRick,

But there was a 'smooth technique' required when shifting a 'stock' A-833,
and one where the 'synchronizers' are ground down.

Then, there was the 'factory' tricked A-833 with the 'Oil-Lite Bushings', and
the 'Slick-Shift', with the 'blocker ring teeth' cut down, and grinding out every
other tooth on 2nd-3rd-4th gears.

'No-Clutch' operation.

Then there was the Liberty and Doug Nash Transmissions.

'Lenco', a whole different world.

I'll probably start a war here, but there is no secret to running a manual trans car. Some are born with it and others acquire it. If you have the knowledge of how the mechanics of a car works, along with the coordination to drive it, it comes down to the senses. The sound and feel that become ingrained in you over time can make you good at what you're doing. It's really becomes being "one" with the particular car your driving. A truly good driver doesn't even need a tach to get fast times with any particular car that the've had a few runs in. Ronnie had it.....the knowledge and the feel. Many others thru the years have had it too. I'd consider myself in the top 90% as far as having the given sense to get the max out of a 4spd car. Some of us just never had the desire or opportunity to get to the level of the big guys.

There is a passage in the good book that says a wise young man demonstrates his wisdom by drawing it out of those who possess it. It's not exactly wisdom I'm after here, but its something you have that I want so I'm trying to draw you out (even though I'm not exactly young) :)

I learned to double clutch diesel trucks and shift without a clutch or tach, but know next to nothing about a racing situation.

What can you tell us about clutching off the line?

My comment was considering stockish type cars.....12's and under. As far as a M/P or a Pro Stock car.....only in my dreams...lol.

As far as leaving the line, it really comes down to power vs tires/bite. That's where i was talking about knowing the mechanicals of the cars. A big block with lots of power/torque down low, requires some clutch slippage to get under way without blowing the tires off. That's what i meant as learning the "feel" as to how much the car can take. Obviously the 60' times suffer regardless. That said, a small block, like a 273" early Cuda can take a lot more rpm's at launch and a little less clutch slippage.

As far as shift points, the feel at the top of each gear, meaning just past the "nose over" is usually about right. It really comes down to knowing each car and what it's capable of in it's current configuration.

I haven't made a pass in any "fast" car since the mid 80's.....Man, how I would love one more shot :D.

Anyone care to take a shot at describing Ronnie's technique with a 4 speed? I've looked around a bit for this kind of info, didn't find much.

From a clip I seen (approx 1/2 an hour) Dick would say he "Walks the car out, then Hammer it." A crew set up a in car camera. His clutch foot went to the floor and back up in a 1/2 blink of the eye. Lighting quick. Is even bet his foot came up quicker than the clutch pedal on its own.

I myself would just slam the pedal to th floor and let it slam up on its own. Just slide the foot to the left off the pedal. BAM! Engaged!

I learned to drive a stick in a 32' long box truck. 5spd, double axle. The. A 3spd manual Duster. Then my '73 Cuda. By the time I had my Cuda down pat, I was one with the car. We were one. It's a great feeling knowing your ride like that.

My fav line I was often asked was, "Man, that thing is sick! What shift kit do you have in there!?!?

I remember at the 1969 Super/Stock Nationals at York US 30 in Pennyslvania.

Ronnie Sox was driving the 68' Race Hemi Barracuda in X/SS {pre-Pro Stock}
with an A-833 'Slick-Shift'.

It sounded like an Automatic running 10.05's.

-
Back