Ronnie Sox

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
a recent thread that i did on whim has inspired me to do this thread in the proper catagory. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=234374

This thread is for pics of all things to with Ronnie Sox

Ronnie Sox is the original Mr. 4 Speed and my HERO.

Bcoz of his coolness and image i am striving to be the original Miss 4 speed.

so feel free to bring all things Ronnie Sox to this thread.

i will start by re-posting some pics that i think are sooooo bad ***.

Attachments

• 5906841-RONNIE_SOX_110164408.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 13,984
  • ronniesoxtire.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,516
im starting to think that a particular dart i know of, might need this paint scheme

Attachments

• 2573516-ugiii8.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 5,551
I have a very close friend named Billy Peyton. He's about ten or so years older than I. He is originally from Charlotte. He has tons of cool stories about Ronnie Sox and Buddy Martin. He's told me about how they ised to be able to just walk right into the pits right up to where the cars were bein worked on and actually talk to them both. Try doin that today. Also.....about how they used to street race in that area. Yeah. Sox and Martin street racin. I've always wondered who couldda been stupid enough to challenge them? LOL

here's two 4 ya

Attachments

• 401818_10200574990993131_97800776_n.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,485
  • 675.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 1,432
a couple more

Attachments

• 686.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,329
  • 687.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 4,155
here's two 4 ya
Where did ya get that first pic I took thast at a guys collection not even a month ago here are some more

And the Dart is the original 4 speed one not the automatic one

These are all the real cars not replicas

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,329
im not sure if Sox and Martin ever had a 68 dart ...all im finding is the Dick Landy 68 dart

shame too...that would have been cool to have a Sox and Martin 68 dart....my favorite car and favorite racer together.:?

i might just have to build my own Sox and Martin 68 dart tribute car myself

Here are a couple.

Attachments

• 66color sm.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,363
  • Sox Martin Barracuda Color.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,377
  • Sox and Martin Cuda BW.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,319
Sox and Martin ran plymouth...not dodge. I met Ronnie a few times, he was a cool guy.

here are some pics of his 68 cuda that he campaigned in the early 70's...

i got to play around in the bottom end of this thing along with getting the brakes and fuel system working.

also pics from all hemi reunion in 08

EDIT: Tricky Dick got in there some how :violent1:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmf4edJs1QE"]SS And AFX Revives Ronnie Sox's BO29 Cuda - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• DSCN0642.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 1,326
  • DSCN0641.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1,195
  • DSCN0633.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,276
  • DSCN0626.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1,226
  • DSCN0621.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,210
  • DSCN0619.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,290
  • DSCN0614.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,244
  • DSCN0613.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 1,251
  • DSCN0588.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,264
  • 7167_10151391500337874_1516693607_n.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,352
Kings of Mopar!

Attachments

• Richard-Petty-and-Ronnie-Sox.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,833
I met Ronnie Sox quite by accident at Greer Dragway around 1994. I went to test and tune night with my 71 Challenger conv. , and was sitting in the staging lanes. Some guy walks up and pays a nice compliment about my car, and starts talking. He sounded like he knew his stuff about Mopars, and drag racing. Then he tells me him and some buddies used to race Hemi Cudas in Pro Stock back in the day, but that he never had a conv. Then I'm thinking..."Yeah right, here we go!" So I asked him if they ever did any good? (It had never dawned on me who this 50 something year old dude was.) He said "Yeah, we did alright. We won the Pro Stock Championship a few times." I was sitting there in my car, and must have had the most dumbfounded look on my face....and this wirey little ol guy smiles and sticks his hand in my window to shake hands with me and says..."Hi. I'm Ronnie Sox." You coulda knocked me out with a feather! As soon as he said it, I recognized his face. He walked along as I moved up in the lanes, and just kept talking like he had known me all his life. He was there testing a Pro Mod Mercury Comet he was running at the time. I went over to his pit later and talked to him some more. Just a heck of a nice guy. :prayer: That ended up being one of the best days I ever spent at the race track, and that's my Ronnie Sox story. :D

Yup. When guys were guys, and weren't worried about the latest "reality TV" paycheck. Truely one of the very greats, and missed.

These were at the Henderson, NC show last fall. Great show if you can ever get there.

Attachments

• IMG_6680.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,175
  • IMG_6682.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,142
  • IMG_6687.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,103
Herb Mccandless' 300 with a modern hemi. I thought I got him in the shot, but didn't. He shows up at some of the local cruise-ins and what a nice guy. Herb drove for Sox and Martin for several years.

Attachments

• CIMG0277.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,135
  • CIMG0278.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,137
I met Ronnie in 81?. I was working at a body shop next to (Herb) Gebler Headers in Beltsville Md and Ronnie was having Herb make a set for his Ferd Mustake. Well when they were taking the car off of the trailer it bottomed out and did some damage to the front of the car. So it happens I got to repair the damage and paint part of the nose of his car. That's my Ronnie Sox story.

I met Ronnie Sox quite by accident at Greer Dragway around 1994. I went to test and tune night with my 71 Challenger conv. , and was sitting in the staging lanes. Some guy walks up and pays a nice compliment about my car, and starts talking. He sounded like he knew his stuff about Mopars, and drag racing. Then he tells me him and some buddies used to race Hemi Cudas in Pro Stock back in the day, but that he never had a conv. Then I'm thinking..."Yeah right, here we go!" So I asked him if they ever did any good? (It had never dawned on me who this 50 something year old dude was.) He said "Yeah, we did alright. We won the Pro Stock Championship a few times." I was sitting there in my car, and must have had the most dumbfounded look on my face....and this wirey little ol guy smiles and sticks his hand in my window to shake hands with me and says..."Hi. I'm Ronnie Sox." You coulda knocked me out with a feather! As soon as he said it, I recognized his face. He walked along as I moved up in the lanes, and just kept talking like he had known me all his life. He was there testing a Pro Mod Mercury Comet he was running at the time. I went over to his pit later and talked to him some more. Just a heck of a nice guy. :prayer: That ended up being one of the best days I ever spent at the race track, and that's my Ronnie Sox story. :D

Very kewl :glasses7:

I see Ronnie's wife every year, nice lady, will see her again on June 1st :glasses7:

I met Ronnie in 81?. I was working at a body shop next to (Herb) Gebler Headers in Beltsville Md and Ronnie was having Herb make a set for his Ferd Mustake. Well when they were taking the car off of the trailer it bottomed out and did some damage to the front of the car. So it happens I got to repair the damage and paint part of the nose of his car. That's my Ronnie Sox story.

wow thats a cool story .....makes me wish i was older to have had a chance like that ...in 81 i wasnt even thought of yet (born in 86) LOL

sometimes i wish i had a time machine

ronnies wife diane goes to all the 60s super stock reunions,, she must have been a looker back in the day stil is now,, i have some items she send me in the mail tribute decals for a fund raising deal she is involved with cause of ronnie,,, she will be at york pa reunion im sure as usuall then to the reunion super stock drags in beaver springs pa in mid july,,, every drag race fan should see thsi event once in there life,,

-
Back