roof panel replacment

-

340duster

Reaction score
Has anyone out there replaced a roof panel before? My current duster project has a dented roof someone was likely standing or sitting on it.

I have a nice roof panel I could use. How difficult is it to change out the roof skin? It looks like there are spot welds around the drip trough and under the chrome windshield and rear window trim. The a and b pillar might be a little tricky too. Other than that it doesn't appear to be too difficult. Anyone done this before?

Is this what you are talking about ??????

101_1803.jpg

101_1801.jpg

Uggh . 398373645 spot welds around that thing. :(
I think I'd put a lot of effort into fixing it. Knock it out from underneath ? Vynil tops help hide flaws in roof and sail panels (not that I like those).

If it is just a dent should not be to hard to fix without replacing the skin... You have any pics ????

When I had my resto shop, I did a complete resto on a 70 Cuda. It had 4 small dents in the roof (from when the owner mounted a rack to haul his canoe around in college). By using a body pick and file, I was able to remove all the dents and without use of any filler at all. I learned it from an old time body shop man.

There is some type of device that removes hail damage out of tops. My friend at work was telling me about it. He placed a claim with his insurance company and they sent him to a place to have the dents removed. He said that thing was amazing and it remove every single dent.

It wasn't to long ago that someone was talking about heat the top where the dent is and hit it with cold water. Popped the dent out. It was something like that anyways.

Sleeperscamp- thanks for the pictures, that helps out alot. I don't have any pictures, but the damage would be difficult to see in pictures anyway. I plan on taking pictures some tomorrow so I can have a record of what I've done. I was going to start a thread in member restorations section

The other thing I didn't mention in my first post is that the replacement roof I have has a factory sunroof in it. I really want to put it in this car. I have been saving this roof panel for 10+ years and it is now time to use it. It looks like the roof inner structure is all the same with a few extra brackets welded on (easy to do). The actual roof panel is different and there appears to be a piece glued on the inside of the roof to attach the sunroof assembly to.

I am also planning a black vinyl roof for it to give the car some contrast as it is sandpebble beige in color and needs a bunch of black accents to make it look good.

Hey 340. I had the same thing, looked like an a$$ cheek sat on the roof. what I done was heated the panel from the inside then popped it with my rubber hammer. just need to make sure NOT to heat to much. When I put heat to it I could watch the panel start to move on its own but would not pop. at that point is when i hit with hammer. It took a few times to get it out but they are out.
Just my .02 here but I would rather try fix the dent then cut a hole for the sunroof first ( i would just hate cutting all those spot welds out). Then if i could not pop the dent out I would THINK about replacing the roof panel.

Sleeperscamp- thanks for the pictures, that helps out alot. I don't have any pictures, but the damage would be difficult to see in pictures anyway. I plan on taking pictures some tomorrow so I can have a record of what I've done. I was going to start a thread in member restorations section

The other thing I didn't mention in my first post is that the replacement roof I have has a factory sunroof in it. I really want to put it in this car. I have been saving this roof panel for 10+ years and it is now time to use it. It looks like the roof inner structure is all the same with a few extra brackets welded on (easy to do). The actual roof panel is different and there appears to be a piece glued on the inside of the roof to attach the sunroof assembly to.

I am also planning a black vinyl roof for it to give the car some contrast as it is sandpebble beige in color and needs a bunch of black accents to make it look good.

Cut the whole roof off at the pillars & by the factory quarter seems. That should be the easiet & least amount of work. If you take your time , knowonw will ever know you did it. Will also be a strong repair.

Cut the whole roof off at the pillars & by the factory quarter seems. That should be the easiet & least amount of work. If you take your time , knowonw will ever know you did it. Will also be a strong repair.

Thats what I am trying to do now is figure out the easiest way.

1) change the roof panel only
2) cut entire roof off
3) fix current roof and buttweld in the hole and trough section.

Tonight I am going to remove the sunroof assembly and have a better look at it.

-
Back