Roof Rail Trim ?

-

stormin

Reaction score
Aloha

When I took my roof rail trim off it appeared to have some type of material between the trim and the roof. Of course it was completely deteriorated and I could not tell what it was. What should be used to go between the roof rail trim and the roof?

Aloha
Randy

Every time I have run up on material between the SS trim and the roof rail, a vinyl top has been involved. I suspect there is a vinyl top in the car's past. Just an opinion.

Thanks for the replys. When I said material I meant in the sense there was something there, nothing specific. My money is on seam sealer. I guess it is just a small bead of seam sealer along the trim where it meats up with the roof. I'll see what I can score at my local NAPA. It is time to start putting the Fastback back together.

Aloha
Randy

Thanks for the replys. When I said material I meant in the sense there was something there, nothing specific. My money is on seam sealer. I guess it is just a small bead of seam sealer along the trim where it meats up with the roof. I'll see what I can score at my local NAPA. It is time to start putting the Fastback back together.

Aloha
Randy

3M Fast-n-Firm will work in that area. Just follow directions. It's paintable.
Dallas

I am not sure but I think I might be using the wrong terminaology. I am talking about the trim that screws to the roof rail or door channel. This trim holds the rubber seal for the door window. On the side that contacts the roof rail is the area I am asking about.

Aloha
Randy

I think there is some sort of foam between the two (the window channel and the roof). It's been a long time since I had that stuff off, but I think that's how it is.

I think there is some sort of foam between the two (the window channel and the roof). It's been a long time since I had that stuff off, but I think that's how it is.

That is what I was thinking but it has been a long time since I removed them. What is left kind of appears like some foam. It is black in color and does not look like sealer.

Any other thoughts?

Aloha
Randy

I Am in the process of putting that trim back on my 1970 Duster.The closest thing I could find Weather strip made by Md part #06577 1/4 thick x1/2 wide x10' long or Md part 306593 1/4 thick x3/4 wide x 10'.I picked this up at Orchard Supply.They are about four dollars a pack.The reason for two packs I am not sure of the width.I tried to match up what was left of my weatherstrip.

I just installed the passenger side roof rail yesterday! The foam I used was plain old Frost King adhesive foam. I bought the black-ish/gray stuff in a 3/4" roll. It comes in 10' rolls for about $3.50 per roll.
SANY0023-vi.jpg

You can see a small piece sticking out at the bottom. When I get to the garage later I'll snap a picture or two of the drivers side going together along with the foam.

The foam prevents a wind noise (whistle) , wicks away standing water, and fills the void where a vynil top was not applied.

Aloha

Well, foam it is. I will see what our local hardware store and use foam between the trim and roof rail.

Thanks for all the help.

Mahalo
Randy

Here's the foam I used. Granted it's not as tough as the factory stuff, but for a car that will see limited use in bad weather I'll take my chances. And if it rots and falls out it's a quick project to replace later. I don't know if this is what you want to use.

SANY0026-vi.jpg

SANY26-vi.jpg

$7.00 for both sides I figured you can't beat it.

Fastback340, thanks for the visual and AdamR thanks for the link. I will check out Jim's store.

Mahalo
Randy

-
Back