Rookie A-body questions. Knobs

-

MMissile

Reaction score
Hello folks. I have 2 knobs that I want to remove, and am smarter than to pry stuff. My searches have found dead threads.

1. Variable speed wiper switch knob. How do I remove this bugger?
2. Glove box chrome knob [non-locking type] Same question....

Thanks. Mike.

What Car? Glove box should be a screw in the back side. Wiper is a pull.

70 Duster, with woodgrain/black trim panel. The knob sits above the trim panel. Guess I'ii give the wiper knob the old heave-ho.

Thanks.

Krusty dash.jpg

Thank you!
I didn't see a set-screw, but I'll look again, before the big tug...

Mike yer a big guy don’t pull the knob too hard ….. there’s only 5 screws and 2 bolts holding the dash in …lol!

LOL...the cluster is out, and will be heavily modified or scrapped. Just want to pull the switches.

Last edited:
Trying to remember... I thought there was a little tab you push in to release it

One foot on each side of the wiper switch. Grab the knob with your fingers. Pulling your *** off the seat and yank hard until she lets go. Close the ash tray before doing this.

Trying to remember... I thought there was a little tab you push in to release it

In the earlier models there is a detent on the bottom of the switch behind the dash. It is not just the knob that comes off. The entire shaft releases from the switch.

In the earlier models there is a detent on the bottom of the switch behind the dash. It is not just the knob that comes off. The entire shaft releases from the switch.
I'll have to look, as I now remember that setup. Thanks.

The wiper switch knob that year should just pull off. Squirt some penetrating oil around the shaft and let it soak a bit before the tug. The knob has a spring steel clip in it to hold it to the shaft. Don't lose it as they aren't available near as I can tell, and the knob will fall off the shaft without it. The glove box latch is a bit more involved. It's fairly easy to show how to do it, but, not as easy to describe how to do it. It entails using a tiny screwdriver to trigger a spring loaded wafer holding the shaft of the knob in the latch housing. I find it easier to take the latch housing loose from the glove box door to do this operation. I don't have any photos or videos to show what needs to be done, but, there may be one out there in youtube land.

-
Back