Rookie balancer mistake

-
Ya, so the machinist got back to me and it turns out that it is only 0.005 undersized hole and that it is not really much longer than I had previously thought. Moving forward I should have that puppy back on tomorrow and it should end well. I really appreciate all you guy's feedback and I have learned a great many lessons on this one.

Thanks again All.

That’s about 3 times tighter than it should be.

Schizen.....sorry..obviously not a machinist here. Its 0.0005 smaller. Thanks again for lookin out YR!

Success!

Thanks fellas

20201123_201816.jpg

Heating wont hurt it. The crank and the damper gets hot during running (at least as hot as the oil!) and boiling water can only get to 212, about the temp of warm oil so that is what another manufacturer suggested for assisting in their products installation. If the balancer is about 212F and the crank is stone cold, you got a nice head start sliding that thing on, heck you may even get it to bottom on the first try. Silicone can run for days at 150C (300F) with no change in characteristics so 30 minutes at 100C (212F ) is nothing. They don't tell you to heat up a press fit alternator pulley either to install it, but it sure helps. Hit it with a propane torch for about a minute and that puppy slid right on the 17mm shaft without effort. And it was a PITA to get it off even with the right ALT pulley puller so it was on uber tight.

Back before replacing flywheels was the norm, we use to replace starter ring gears. That was the way I was taught many years ago. Old timer that taught me used a acetylene torch and heated the new ring gear up till I was super hot. It would then just drop onto the flywheel. I was amazed first time watching it.

I was not suggesting you use your balancer like the Toyota, only using that as an example that not all of them press on. Reading the instructions on anything is the right thing to do, as fellow member YR always says. He's a sharp guy and dead right that the Fluidampr does have to press on to their specs, in order to transfer harmonics to the viscous fluid inside the damper. Glad you got it worked out. Let us know how the pulleys line up. I'm interested to know that they did work that problem out.

Back before replacing flywheels was the norm, we use to replace starter ring gears. That was the way I was taught many years ago. Old timer that taught me used a acetylene torch and heated the new ring gear up till I was super hot. It would then just drop onto the flywheel. I was amazed first time watching it.

I've done a few. We were taught the same by our auto shop instructor. Just break the old one off with a chisel and heat the new one up and drop it on. He was a good old dude.

I've done a few. We were taught the same by our auto shop instructor. Just break the old one off with a chisel and heat the new one up and drop it on. He was a good old dude.
I was taught the same way...

I feel so fortunate to have had many good men teach me the correct way to do a job both at Gene's Enco Service and my high school shop class. Cant forget my brother Jan either.

Now if I had only used that info everytime....

-
Back