Root canal or extraction?

-
That dentist or person drilling those teeth fucked up.
I see your point

Looking at those teeth, they may have been a little soft at the bottom, and it looks like he just poppep through

Not as bloody as i would have expected though

Looking on the bright side, now the dentist can insert a horseshoe nail and bend it over to lock it down…

Dealing with dental issues can be a real pain, literally! It sounds like you're facing a tough decision between a root canal and pulling the tooth. It's essential to weigh the pros and cons and consider what's best for your long-term dental health.
Looking ahead, if you decide to go for tooth extraction and are concerned about the appearance of your smile afterward, you might want to explore options like teeth whitening in Eastlake Ohio. It offers cosmetic dentistry services, including teeth whitening, which could help enhance your smile.

Last edited:
I've had a root canal for 20 years now no issues. I think it depends on the dentist. There are hacks in all professions.

My dentist recommended a root canal for a painful tooth (rear molar). While they didn't volunteer the option of extraction they did reluctantly agree it was an option after I mentioned it. Fortunately the pain went away after a few weeks. If it flares up again its a goner. I'm not paying to save a 50 year old molar.

My dentist isn’t going to be real happy with me when I see him new Wednesday for my six month checkup. He recommended a dentist to see but between my torn calf muscle, coming up with 4200.00 in property taxes, and getting 8 cats fixed I didn’t have the funds. It has really really calmed down and I have to really try to get a dull pain now. It’s better now than six months ago.

sounds like the infection is gone now but if you don't take care of yourself, who is going to feed the family of cats?

I. have spent alot of money on dental work over the last 20 plus years but I still have my teef....alot of people my age don't.... you can only ear certain things without teeth it effects your diet and overall health the thing that is bad is dentistry isn't covered like healthcare there is no Obama care dentistry that I know of dentistry is still like what family medical practice was 40 years ago. You find a good dentist and stick with them long term.

My dentist isn’t going to be real happy with me when I see him new Wednesday for my six month checkup. He recommended a dentist to see but between my torn calf muscle, coming up with 4200.00 in property taxes, and getting 8 cats fixed I didn’t have the funds. It has really really calmed down and I have to really try to get a dull pain now. It’s better now than six months ago.

Probably suggested a root canal due to an infection. Dull ache means the nerve inside the tooth is now almost dead, could potentially stop hurting at some point. Infection won’t go away until it either has the root canal or is removed. Think of an infection in your hand due to a sliver, you can’t get rid of the infection without removing the sliver in your hand. The nerve inside the tooth is the sliver needs to go bye bye to get rid of the infection.

sounds like the infection is gone now but if you don't take care of yourself, who is going to feed the family of cats?

Infection will never fully go away on a dying or dead nerve inside a tooth. It can stop hurting, because nerve fully dies and stops transmission of pain signals back to the brain. Eventually the infection flares up, usually happens when you get a cold, the flu, or some other sickness your body is fighting.

Usually at that point the infection has eaten away so much of the bone not only do you lose the tooth but you lose the bone which surrounded the tooth. Prevents you then from replacing it with an implant or makes a partial denture or complete denture fit even worse.

Worst part of the infection getting big enough to eat away the bone is when that 1 tooth infection spreads enough to affect the nerve inside the tooth next to it and you’re saying goodbye to 2 teeth.

Rare cases- top back tooth - infection can spread to the brain and cause brain damage or death. Vein system in your sinuses that travels to the brain.
—— lower back and middle tooth - infection spreads below the jaw into your neck spaces and cause Ludwig’s angina. Can be life threatening because it causes you to not be able to breathe.

—— big infections in bottom front teeth, caused bone loss around multiple front teeth. All cannot be saved and have to be removed. Lower dentures are the worst, I promise. Unless you get implants to hold them in.

IMG_5712.jpeg

^^^^^
none of that was explained by the dentist. where the root canal was done is still sensitive at times. my wife's dentist says it could take up to 6 months to settle down but still could "ping" from time-to-time. Thank-you for taking time to explain this.

^^^^^
none of that was explained by the dentist. where the root canal was done is still sensitive at times. my wife's dentist says it could take up to 6 months to settle down but still could "ping" from time-to-time. Thank-you for taking time to explain this.

Yeah it can take a while for the bone and tissue around the root to fully heal and not be sensitive. You shouldn’t get many “pings” or “zings” it usually is just a little sore. When it still is zinging or still really painful after long term, the chances of a root fracture are even higher.

I always tell my patients- I’d rather tell you more information that way you can make the best informed decision for yourself. I’m happy with what ever choice someone makes as long as they know about everything.

Got a tooth that needed a gap filled between the crown and base of tooth. All well and good UNTIL the pain started. I thought maybe that was a response from not using novacaine. Well, no, there is an infection. Okay, got antibiotics going but the end game decision is: do you want a root canal or pull the tooth. Since it's the last tooth on the left, I'm leaning toward pulling it. If the 3 Stooges were in town, they would probably just knock it out. Anybody been in the same spot? What did you do and were you happy with your decision? Thanks!
Sorry I didn't see this sooner.
(Retired dentist and professor here!)
If it's the last tooth in the arch, especially a molar and needs a root canal; you're probably better off extracting it.
Even with successful root canal and crown, the leverage on the back teeth will make the tooth/roots fracture over time.
When there are other solid supporting teeth around the root canal tooth, it is likely to last longer.
(Disclaimer: That's what I think with the limited info you provided. That's no substitute for a good exam and comprehensive plan.)

I thought i read a comment earlier about a "hot tooth"; infected and painful despite pain meds or anesthetic.
When there is an infection, dental anesthetics will not be as effective as normal.
The infection is an acid envirinment, and counteracts the "Base" chemistry of most local anesthetics.

Last edited:
-
Back