Rotor for my SSBC A1531 conversion

-

Done Swimmin

Reaction score
Hey All

I just acquired a 68 Dart with an SSBC conversion kit installed (# A1531) and it needs a front rotor and possible caliper.

Any other source for these parts? Are they same as any OEM brakes?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete from Peterborough

Yes I have the replacement part#23078AA1A from SSBC site. Just looking for alternatives, better deal, other sources such as OEM applications that may be sourced.

Anyone have an OE application that is same as these SSBC rotors? I have heard that older Mustang (Mustang II) are same but have no real testimonials.

I sold one of those kits a while back, and the rotors had a dual pattern. Worked for both 5 on 4 and 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I am pretty sure they are some sort of Ford rotor, because some early Mustangs had basically the same brakes as 66-72 A bodies, but with 4.5 bolt pattern.
IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1840.JPG
IMG_1842.JPG

Can't help on the rotor, but they use D11 pads, which are a 1967 Mustang pad I believe. Maybe the rotor matches?

Went over this a while back here: SSBC replacement parts and there is a link to a lot of good info I received over at moparts linked in there as well.

Dayclona over at Moparts said this...

A majority of the Mopar SSBC front and rear disc brake kits utilize early-late Ford Mustang/ Lincoln/ Mercury/Turbo Coupe Thunderbird components, stock or modified for the SSBC kits

A little research will yield you the components you require, you can source the rotors for your application from Summit Racing PN#s BR61053 for "stock replacement" rotors, if you have/desire drilled/slotted rotors PN# BR61053LC

Note: the Summit rotors will be in the stock Ford/L/M 4.5" BC, you'll need to have them drilled for the Mopar 4" BC depending on your SSBC A153-/1/2/3 kit designation (application is 1965-67 Ford/Mercury)

Calipers are 65-67 Ford Mustang Kelsey Hayes 4 piston, readily available from many sources, if you have the SSBC proprietary cast 4 piston aluminum calipers your SOL (source:used/rebuilt/Ebay/etc)...however the Ford 65-67 Mustang KH 4 piston calipers are an bolt on alternate source

Pads are D11 or Bendix SBC11

Hey All

I just acquired a 68 Dart with an SSBC conversion kit installed (# A1531) and it needs a front rotor and possible caliper.

Any other source for these parts? Are they same as any OEM brakes?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete from Peterborough

That is the kit I put on my 69 Barracuda. I was getting a squealing noise that I thought was coming from the front (it wound up being a bad front U joint). I called SSBC and they told me that the rotors, bearings and calipers were 67-68 Mustang.

I have had the SSBC 153 kit on my 70 Dart since 2005. One of the big reasons that I used it is it is designed to be used with stock 10 inch drum brake spindles so I didn't have to touch the spindles and beyond when I converted the brakes to disc. If that's what you need there are loads on folks on here that have those spindles sitting around from other disc brake conversions that require different spindles. I'd ask SSBC if this is the case for your kit and if it is put out a wanted ad for 10" drum brake spindles.

-
Back