Rotors available (for now) for K-H disc brake cars

-

S'cuder

Living in my own Private Idaho
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rock Auto sent me an email announcing the availability of rotors for our 1965-72 disc brake cars.
Enter 230258375207632590 in the "How did you hear about us" space on the order from for 5% off. This code expires on May 26.
Get 'em while they're hot!

Screenshot_20230505-074937.png

600-40002_vd_6.jpg

They will very likely need to be modified. The "hat" of the rotor on most all these aftermarket rotors ends up too large in diameter and hits the dust boots on the caliper pistons on the outside where the hat is. This can be corrected easily by someone who can operate a brake lathe.

"About" where the red area I marked is where they will likely need machining.
ROTOR.jpg

They will very likely need to be modified. The "hat" of the rotor on most all these aftermarket rotors ends up too large in diameter and hits the dust boots on the caliper pistons on the outside where the hat is. This can be corrected easily by someone who can operate a brake lathe.
Rusty is Right.

Had this happen on my last KH set up. You’d have to machine quite a lot though, it’s my estimation that at least 1/16 or up to 3/32 (60 -100 thou) material would need the removed In an a very narrow band. Well maybe thats not too much? Not sure how much material is available in the ‘’hat’ area but will be looking now when my new cheap rotors arrive as I bought a pair to put on the shelf for future use.

one pic is a hit blurry. Sorry

IMG_2948.jpeg

IMG_2949.jpeg

Rusty is Right.

Had this happen on my last KH set up. You’d have to machine quite a lot though, it’s my estimation that at least 1/16 or up to 3/32 (60 -100 thou) material would need the removed In an a very narrow band. Well maybe thats not too much? Not sure how much material is available in the ‘’hat’ area but will be looking now when my new cheap rotors arrive as I bought a pair to put on the shelf for future use.

one pic is a hit blurry. Sorry

View attachment 1716086320

View attachment 1716086321
Were yours machined on the hat, or left as cast? The ones in the Rock Auto picture show machined, but it could be "a representative image," and "not necessarily the actual item." The pictures for the unavailable Centric and FVP rotors show as cast, and appear to be the same pictures.

Another member here on FABO posted about rotors from a place called Brake Performance. Those were nicely machined on the hat. The price was good, too, about $80 a pair, including shipping. I ordered a pair, they charged my card, and nothing. After more than a week of waiting, I called. Out of stock. I asked for a refund. They said if I let the order stand my order would hold the rotors at that price. I said fine, but if they are going to hold my money indefinitely, I want to be paid interest. They refunded me with no problems. They were very nice through the process. Their website did show fancy drilled, slotted, and drilled AND slotted rotors. I wasn't looking for those, so I don't know if they're available.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I've got a set of these Powerstop AR8305XPR sitting on the shelf in my garage Drilled and Slotted Performance Rotors | PowerStop that I intend to put in when I get the chance.
I know I'll have to have the studs and hub pressed out of the old ones and onto these, but does anybody suppose there will be any interference (as mentioned above) that will require machining to get them to work?

Another alternative is to look for cross drilled and vented performance rotors. I managed to find them from two different vendors at different times. The last ones I found were (IIRC) Power Stop brand. I found them on eBay. They were very nicely machined. Oh, I see Vames just posted about them while I was typing.

Another alternative is to look for cross drilled and vented performance rotors. I managed to find them from two different vendors at different times. The last ones I found were (IIRC) Power Stop brand. I found them on eBay. They were very nicely machined. Oh, I see Vames just posted about them while I was typing.
Does that mean you've installed these and they didn't need any modification?

Yes, I did a K-H brake conversion on my slant six Barracuda convertible, and just bolted them right up. I admit I did not inspect them later to see if there was any wear on the caliper boots, because I was not aware of this particular issue at the time. I have since sold the car, so I can't go check on it now.

My fastback is running slotted cross-drilled rotors I bought sometime prior to 2010 (don't recall exactly when). These were extremely nice, made in USA, and definitely didn't have the problem. But I was unable to find a source for them when I was shopping for the convertible.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I've got a set of these Powerstop AR8305XPR sitting on the shelf in my garage Drilled and Slotted Performance Rotors | PowerStop that I intend to put in when I get the chance.
I know I'll have to have the studs and hub pressed out of the old ones and onto these, but does anybody suppose there will be any interference (as mentioned above) that will require machining to get them to work?
Since you have both at hand, it should be an easy matter to compare them. Remove one of the wheels, or both if you really want to be sure, and measure them. Also note how close the hat portion is to the seals on the caliper. Measure the new rotors and compare. From the data, you should be able to decide if you need to clearance the new rotors.

Were yours machined on the hat, or left as cast? The ones in the Rock Auto picture show machined, but it could be "a representative image," and "not necessarily the actual item." The pictures for the unavailable Centric and FVP rotors show as cast, and appear to be the same pictures.

Another member here on FABO posted about rotors from a place called Brake Performance. Those were nicely machined on the hat. The price was good, too, about $80 a pair, including shipping. I ordered a pair, they charged my card, and nothing. After more than a week of waiting, I called. Out of stock. I asked for a refund. They said if I let the order stand my order would hold the rotors at that price. I said fine, but if they are going to hold my money indefinitely, I want to be paid interest. They refunded me with no problems. They were very nice through the process. Their website did show fancy drilled, slotted, and drilled AND slotted rotors. I wasn't looking for those, so I don't know if they're available.
From an ‘as cast’ rotor. Not sure on the brand. I’ll get these dynamic friction version in the next few days and can advise how they come

Yes, I did a K-H brake conversion on my slant six Barracuda convertible, and just bolted them right up. I admit I did not inspect them later to see if there was any wear on the caliper boots, because I was not aware of this particular issue at the time. I have since sold the car, so I can't go check on it now.

My fastback is running slotted cross-drilled rotors I bought sometime prior to 2010 (don't recall exactly when). These were extremely nice, made in USA, and definitely didn't have the problem. But I was unable to find a source for them when I was shopping for the convertible.
Maybe I'll check this weekend.

Alan

What RRR said.
I ran into that "issue" in the past when i was going through a disc brake set up that i rebuilt, for resale.
Wouldn't know if that problem has ever got fixed, with the new batch of rotors that now seem to be available again.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Warning: THIS IS NOT A SMART *** QUESTION - I really want to know...

My KH disc brakes look just like this:
img_2948-jpeg.jpg

What are the consequences if I do nothing? If the rubber boot continues to wear away what bad things can happen?

Warning: THIS IS NOT A SMART *** QUESTION - I really want to know...

My KH disc brakes look just like this:
View attachment 1716086737
What are the consequences if I do nothing? If the rubber boot continues to wear away what bad things can happen?
No real consequence, it’s a dust boot and its purpose is to keep contamination away from the piston and actual seal inside. In bad wet weather and winters, and salt etc it would be more of a big deal, but how little we drive our cars in perfect weather it likely won’t cause you any grief. Eventually brake dust and other could potentially work its way in and cause a small slow leak, but nothing catastrophic will happen.

Even if a small hole gets worn right through the shape of the boot is such that dust still wouldnt easily make its way in. There’s no suction or anything like that there too. Don’t sweat this, just if you ever do brake again you could, if you wanted too, have the rotors machined in the spot where they contact..

notice the boot looks likes it’s folded in half almost so inside it’s touching each other right now. As the brakes wear and the pistons move out of the bore the boot will stretch, so if there was a hole in the boot and the brakes were quite worn the boot would be stretched flatter perhaps allowing dust in more easily. With new pads in the caliper the boot ‘halves so to speak’ are essentially touching each other and dust still can’t get in. If you know what I mean?

you can also get new dust boots but does required the caliper to be taken apart to install them. Caliper rebuild kits are cheap and include new seals and boots.

Sold out on Rock Auto. I don't know if there were only a few available or if there was a buying frenzy.
Amazon shows 10 available with more on the way.
Hopefully this availability will be a trend and will extend to the matching rear drums.

Sold out on Rock Auto. I don't know if there were only a few available or if there was a buying frenzy.
Amazon shows 10 available with more on the way.
Hopefully this availability will be a trend and will extend to the matching rear drums.
Are you sure? They show 600 2 40002
not 600 40002

? Just curious

Are you sure? They show 600 2 40002
not 600 40002

? Just curious
I'm turning up zero results for 600 2 40002.
600 40002 are now showing two in stock at Rock Auto after showing unavailable this morning. Other places are showing them available, although I believe they are all being shipped from one warehouse. Availability shown by several vendors may not update instantaneously based on actual stock at the single shipping point.

I used these with no issues..

StopTech 127.63005L StopTech Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors | Summit Racing

StopTech 127.63005R StopTech Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors | Summit Racing

I put a set of EBC Yellows on with them and they have been good so far.

Research the part #'s and see if they are still available.

Greg
Stop Tech and EBC Yellowstuff is supposed to be a very good combination. They're both quality parts. The links to Summitt show the rotors shipping in a few weeks. That's what they often do when something is currently unavailable, but not necessarily discontinued. They did that with the Centric rotors I had on order. Every time the shipping date arrived with no rotors to be had, they kicked it down the road a few weeks. After eight months of that, they finally made the call that they were unavailable.

I'm turning up zero results for 600 2 40002.
600 40002 are now showing two in stock at Rock Auto after showing unavailable this morning. Other places are showing them available, although I believe they are all being shipped from one warehouse. Availability shown by several vendors may not update instantaneously based on actual stock at the single shipping point.

Stop Tech and EBC Yellowstuff is supposed to be a very good combination. They're both quality parts. The links to Summitt show the rotors shipping in a few weeks. That's what they often do when something is currently unavailable, but not necessarily discontinued. They did that with the Centric rotors I had on order. Every time the shipping date arrived with no rotors to be had, they kicked it down the road a few weeks. After eight months of that, they finally made the call that they were unavailable.
They part number I saw on Amazon was 600240002. Not 60040002. Is all I was saying. Are you sure they are the same rotors ?

They part number I saw on Amazon was 600240002. Not 60040002. Is all I was saying. Are you sure they are the same rotors ?
To tell you the truth, I don't remember now. Amazon is painful with their "close enough" and switcheroos.
I just now pulled these screenshots. Note the second one says it does and also does not fit a 1969 Barracuda. :BangHead:

Screenshot_20230508-181541.png

Screenshot_20230508-181942.png

From an ‘as cast’ rotor. Not sure on the brand. I’ll get these dynamic friction version in the next few days and can advise how they come
Recieved them today and they are machined ‘hats’. Not sure on the diameter as I don’t have a caliper that goes that big. May borrow a big caliper to check. Tried to measure with a c-clamp that I had but couldn’t get to the base of the as cast rotor in my car as the spindle nut/hub prevented that. (The mouth of the c-clamp was’t deep enough)

IMG_2964.jpeg

IMG_2965.jpeg

-
Back