rotten eggs??? update

-

plumcrazy704406

Reaction score
ok, you restoration experts,,,,,,,

My daughter proceeded to explode / vaporize some boiling eggs and now the house smells like rotten eggs. Now the cleanup is done, but the smell lingers. Has anyone had this happen and what was the cure to get rid of the smell? I have seen a number of cures online, but would like to hear it from a real person before I try everything in the book.

:eek:ops:

One of my kids puked in our old trailblazer. Trays of charcoal did a pretty good job of taking out the smell

anything cleaner/deodorizer with eucalyptus in it will knock it flat.

I have used trays of charcoal (like you get at a pet store for a fish tank filter) as well as trays of good ol baking soda. Just set them out in the room(s)

Ask an dealer for used car, where he let do the interior-cleaning (sorry, don't know the english expression...)

Most of them use ozone-generators for killing smells of nicotine, pets and others.

These are small electrical blowers, that transform normal air into ozone. If you let them work overnight, the ozone will kill all smells.

Smells happen because of bacterial activity, the bacterials need oxygen to live, but the ozone kills them...

Bring a skunk into the house and the egg smell will disappear! I am sorry I just had to say that...your situation is not funny. Did it myself one time but do not remember what I did to get rid of it.

fun part, it's hovering around -3 c so it's pretty tough to leave the windows open any length of time. Tried to buy some bulk charcoal, no luck!!
GOt the place covered in baking soda and lemons are a boiling.

No briquettes around anywhere Martin??

all I found were the easy light ones. Al's aquarium shows a number of high end charcoal filter media. I will go there.
I can live with most smells / odors but I'm finding this hard on my respiratory system. :sad:

Either way, more cleaning and airing out over the weekend.

I know exactly what you're going through - except for the outside temps.
When I was about 13 my stepfather put some eggs on to boil one morning but forgot about them. I had already left for school and he and may my mom left for work with the eggs still cooking on the stove.
The water boiled out, the eggs exploded and the house reeked just as you've described. We had windows open and fans blowing for days trying to get rid of the smell.
Lots of good tips from others. I'm sure one or more will do the job.

light a match, or a book the sulfur will kill the smell

Are you a coffee drinker? We used to haul cigarettes and carpet and would always take a pound of coffee and spread it all over the trailer floor and sweep it around to get rid of the tobacco smell before loading anything else! The smell of carpet was pretty strong too and it did a good job of removing that smell too! Worth a try if all else fails!! Geof

Before you do any of these suggestions, VACUUM everything. Carpets (may need to be cleaned) drapery, furniture, the dogs or cats. Anything that the smell could have landed on. It is easier to clean the air if you remove the reason for the smell first.

not sure about egg smell but being in the meat industry we would have cooler's go down nothing worse than the rotten meat smell we would light some string blow out the flame & let the string smoulder the smoke from the string would kill & clear the cooler of the smell just a thought

when my ex let a roast boil dry the insurance company used Ozium to clean our rugs ,clothes and drapes etc...

-
Back